Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chugach wrote:
This Van
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597183&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

is now this Van!
http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/rvs/4602727470.html

Laughing Laughing Laughing

For posterity, since CL ads go away:

"1986 Syncro Vanagon Get-Away High-top camper Price: $30'000 USD
If you are after a well maintained original condition syncro high top camper, this could be the vehicle for you.
• Low mileage: 113,000 km (70,000 miles) -- used for trips only until June 2014, on the road from Vancouver to Alaska since June 2014 (one owner from 1987 to 2013)
• Virtually rust free, mostly original paint
• Rear diff lock works perfectly
• New (from VW) viscous coupling installed in 2005
• Get Away Van conversion in original condition including: 3 way fridge (larger than a westy fridge), 2 burner stove top, range hood with exhaust fan, powerful propane furnace, sink and faucet, built in battery charger, Trans 2000 awning, upper and lower bunks, port-a-potty
• Original VW and Get Away Van documentation/manuals included
• Work/maintenance in the last 2 years includes: new batteries (starting and house), new Stainless steel exhaust system (except for cat. convertor), new fuel lines on engine, new propane tank, new clutch master cylinder, new right-rear wheel bearings, new windshield and front and rear wipers, brand new 3-way fridge, brake fluid replaced, rear brakes:85%, front brakes close to 100%, transaxle just refilled with SWEPCO 210, fresh oil/filter, most interior camper lights converted to LEDs.
• Heavy duty trailer hitch
This van drives nicely and brought us without any issues to Alaska.
Cons:
• Small dents in bumpers
• Paint near drivers side headlight needs work
• Webasto coolant heater doesn't work -- I didn't have time to troubleshoot this and only know that it appears to all be there and that nothing happens when you turn it on."

Spent $20,000 to drive to Alaska; two months later it's up for sale? Eh? Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

For posterity, since CL ads go away:

Actually, some just stay around seemingly forever. The one I posted on the previous page is now dropped by an additional $1500 and is now being offered at what originally would have been a reasonable $4000. Started at $13K.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4582535142.html
Country Doc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching the classifieds daily for several months now, and keep seeing the same Syncro Westies come up for sale, for 30-40k . Not sure whether these are just "bad" examples, or whether the perceived value of Syncro's is not realized in the market?

There's one in Vancouver for $35k, another white one in CA for $40k, a red one in CA for $36k, etc.

Are they just not as popular as I thought they were? Harder to sell at that price range?

Anyway, just thought it was interesting. Especially recognizing that I have at least $25k in my diesel 2WD just to get it running and driving reliably (I mean turn-key reliably), and it still needs $10k worth of bodywork.

dc
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market this year is way softer than last.
Last year every westy I looked at sold same day or within a few days and these were no prom queens.
Great time to buy but who knows if it will ever firm up again.
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Wondering about Westy lust Reply with quote

One has to wonder if the market for old Westies is shrinking a bit as new generations don't see the value in an old slow repair prone vehicle. For many of us with a long Westy history, we just love to have one in the family often as a second, third or even fourth car, but it might be the first to go when $$ becomes tight.
And many of us with Westy or even Syncro fantasies can't justify the prices of the tricked out ones, for an occasional adventure.
So the "reasonably" priced ones go quickly, but refurbished ones may languish at higher prices, even if it really IS worth it to buy one with the sweat equity already built in.
Probably the most useful upgrades to my 86 have been the pop top assist shocks and the headlight wiring upgrade, both inexpensive.
And mine is a "daily driver" to my local kayak destination ten miles away, because my old 13 foot boat fits inside!! Otherwise I use my old Subie with decent power and AC. Thoughts anyone?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sucks to sleep in a subie. especially with a wife and dog.
if you just own it to haul a kayak, then yeah any subie or truck will fit the bill.
that is until you need to change into clean clothes, without exposing yourself to the elements or social scrutiny

while I see plenty here 4sale, I constantly meet new owners and potential new owners during our regular VW events. and that's a small sphere of influence
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These CL local\regional vans have been for sale for weeks now. The Gloucester one started at $13K, as I've posted about in this thread. Looks like the $3K aircooled Westy missing from this list might have been purchased. All of these ads have appeared previously and have been updated or relisted. Looks like the market is much softer this year unless it's a Syncro or cheap late Westy.

Aug 12 - Volkswagen VAN-REDUCED PRICE - $4000 (Gloucester, VA) pic cars & trucks - by owner

Few LOCAL results found. Here are some from NEARBY areas

Aug 12 - 1984 VW Vanagon - $3500 (burke) pic cars & trucks - by owner

Aug 5 - 1982 Volkswagon Vanagon Camper - $7450 (St.Inigoes,Md) pic cars & trucks - by owner

Aug 4 - Vanagon Camper - $15000 (norfolk va) pic map cars & trucks - by owner

Jul 29 - VW Vanagon for sale - $4000 (hampton va) cars & trucks - by owner
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VolksWagen-VW-Transpor...mp;vxp=mtr

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's NOT the mirror they show on a vanagon door in the 3rd pic.
I had one of those on my van and was kinda nice but required some reprofiling to fit the vangon contour and screws/nutserts to secure to the door

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What is this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VolksWagen-VW-Transpor...mp;vxp=mtr

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find your set? I'd want to see them installed on a van, before pulling the trigger

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresh ad in the classifieds,
Kids going off to college is often the reason WHY some get into a westy Arrow

Quote:
Westfalia Camper Price: 5300.00
Good condition runs great, 225,000 miles engine rebuilt at 200,000 miles transmission no issues Have new camper canvas still in box reinforced bumpers. Locally maintained by High Country Auto. Selling because my son went away to college Lots of great memories!
CASH ONLY!

Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Quote:
Good condition runs great, 225,000 miles engine rebuilt at 200,000 miles transmission no issues Have new camper canvas still in box reinforced bumpers. Locally maintained by High Country Auto. Selling because my son went away to college Lots of great memories!
CASH ONLY!

Are you kidding?
That should be in the great deals thread!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree it's a great deal..

I'm whinging about the reasoning to put it 4sale..
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Quote:
CASH ONLY!

Would have bought in a heart beat two weeks ago. I got a sunroof van locally instead.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I do agree it's a great deal..

I'm whinging about the reasoning to put it 4sale..

You would understand if you were helping to pay for that collage education! $$$ Shocked

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's not easy to join this club. I've been searching for a few months now and I'm blow away how quickly these things are sold (well, at least the sub-20K ones).

I've been second place in two pretty good deals, but otherwise have been left in the dust westy-less. Is it unreasonable to think I can get myself a decent Westy for under 10K in Northern California? I realize it's going to be a lot more money after I buy one, so that's why I'm hesitant to pay any more (especially on a stock non-rebuilt engine and tranny). I'm also not afraid to get greasy and do some maintanence and put some sweat equity into it, not that I'm looking to sell it afterwards or anything. I just want something safe and somewhat reliable to take the family out roadtripping and camping.

It's hard to compete though when I'm asking for a pre-sale inspection and a little relief on the price while people are saying they'll fly in from all over the country to buy it sight unseen for asking or more Confused

Is there still room in the club for normal middle class families???

Does it get any easier in the "off season"?

Grrr....Anyways, sorry for the whine, but this is the whine topic right?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:

Welcome!
I think you will have better luck in the off season. Also a better time to look for leaky roofs and windows!
If you can maybe start looking a little further north. There is always lots of vans for sale in the PNW.
It's getting to be like buying a house. No time to think - just go with your gut, make an offer and hope it's all good underneath!
Good luck!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Joining the Westy club--treasure hunt. Reply with quote

At a certain point one has to go with their gut [after research and education], and pick a decent deal and start the adventure. Just found an 85 Westy in Colorado for $5300, and the owner and story seemed legit so I sent the money although I won't see the van for another week.
This is not my ideal, but one I can live with and also not lose too much if I don't keep it. I'll report back on the treasure hunt!
An 89 Westy with 95K in Colorado just sold immediately for the $12K+ asking price, to an eastern buyer sight unseen. Most of these fair deals sell to the first caller.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
Man, it's not easy to join this club. I've been searching for a few months now and I'm blow away how quickly these things are sold (well, at least the sub-20K ones).

I've been second place in two pretty good deals, but otherwise have been left in the dust westy-less. Is it unreasonable to think I can get myself a decent Westy for under 10K in Northern California? I realize it's going to be a lot more money after I buy one, so that's why I'm hesitant to pay any more (especially on a stock non-rebuilt engine and tranny). I'm also not afraid to get greasy and do some maintanence and put some sweat equity into it, not that I'm looking to sell it afterwards or anything. I just want something safe and somewhat reliable to take the family out roadtripping and camping.

It's hard to compete though when I'm asking for a pre-sale inspection and a little relief on the price while people are saying they'll fly in from all over the country to buy it sight unseen for asking or more Confused

Is there still room in the club for normal middle class families???

Grrr....Anyways, sorry for the whine, but this is the whine topic right?

I have seen deals here in Sac... need to be quick, live on CL and be ready t move on a deal. I went for a non westy beater to make my own way., it is just a matter of what do you really want? I would think come nov-dec prices will drop, along with inventory. Some marginal vanagons are being snapped on to be parted out with lots of profit (multiple players in the Sac are are doing this)

Good luck! Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just barely missed out on a 1991 Westy with 124k miles in Davis in great shape that sold for a little under 10k. It's painful to be second in a deal like that Smile

I was wondering why even the beater ones were sellin pretty quickly. That makes sense if there are "parters" in the area.

Then there are ones like this that have been listed for a month. Can't imagine why it hasn't sold yet (I came oh so close to getting a plane ticket this weekend): http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4596989484.html

I'm just gonna have to be patient, make sure I have my finances in order, and be ready to go at a moments notice I suppose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 137

Jump to: