Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 Vanagon sliding door won't latch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertgriner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: frame bolt adjustment scores the win! Reply with quote

For me, GUZYK's suggestion won out. I opened the panel (just 'cause I need to check on the actuator for my centralized lock), but ended up making an adjustment on the frame bolt.

I marked its current location, and moved it out (away from the van). I had also adjusted it upward, but upon looking at it when in the closed position, it was pressed toward the top of the mechanism and I didn't want to raise the door or stress the latch.

Thanks SAMBA!
Bob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To finish off my part of the thread, the latch came in, the dry run made it east to swap outt. Getting adjusted is a little trial and error, but got it done, all is good. But, (doesn't everything have a butt?) in very cold weather, sometimes it will do the bounce again. I am guessing the lube I used gets thick and the timing is off.

I may just buy an extra to keep on hand.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through this to solve a non-latching door on my '89. One additional comment I can make is it was far easier for me to pop the slider mechanism cover off (2 screws) and take the whole door off (no tools, just check your Bentley) and lay it on a blanket to work on. Then I could easily access the latch square-on with an impact driver and it came apart in no time. I tried with the door on the vehicle but the Philips-head bolts would not cooperate and I was very nervous I'd scratch/dent the van, bend something or mess up a roller mechanism when beating on the impact driver (with my hand to "guard" the quarter pannel).

Once I had the door off and made short work of removing the latch I then removed the spring on the lower latch tooth, stretched it out and put it back in, now tighter. I also filed the catch on the upper tooth to be more square and angle in as mine had rounded a bit. I also cleaned, blew out with compressed air and lubed the latch while I had it out and added a little grease to the roller channels on the van before I put the door back on. It's not quite perfect but I think a little catch-post adjustment and it will be fine. If you close it nicely it latched 90% of the time. My wife thinks she has to slam it and then it sometimes doesn't catch right.

Taking the door off is very easy and gives you a chance to check out all the roller mechanisms and check for hidden under-the-cover rust. I did it by myself, but the door is a bit heavy and help might not be a bad thing.

Watch this before you bend something:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnphan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmarked. I think I will need to be doing this soon.
natep73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Eurovan Reply with quote

I have a 2001 eurovan with the same bouncing problem. Does anyone know if it is the same design/solution??
80 Vanagon weekender(sold)
01 Eurovan MV (sold)
01 Eurovan GLS (sold)
03 Eurovan Weekender
03 New Beetle Convertible
73 Riviera- one day it will run again
74 Thing
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I have been plagued by the sliding coming partially unlocked when driving on washboard type roads. I tried all the suggested adjustment remedies and eventually adjusted the striker pin (Bentley pic 58-231) so that the door would stay closed on the roughest of roads but there was a slight gap at the bottom right of the door and daylight was visible through that gap.

Recently I saw where GoWesty and VanCafe were selling a replacement spring kit for the central lock (Bentley pic 58-267) that replaced the weak springs with new ones.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23924&category_id=400&category_parent_id=
or
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2073_1085/sliding_door_latch_spring_kit.html

The new springs solved my problem and I was able to adjust the striker pin so the door closed tightly all around without the door bouncing back when closed or popping open on rough roads.

While the instructions indicated to just pull back the front of the door panel to unclip the release cable from the front sliding door lock (Bentley pic 58-197), I completely removed the door panel. And since I used a #3 phillips head bit with a bit adapter on a socket wrench, I did not harm the bolt heads and reused them.

Harold
tosimplify
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been putting up with this issue for the past week or so. I picked up the aforementioned spring kit at GoWesty today, but until I get around to doing the repair, a single strategically placed C-clamp is doing the job quite nicely:

I've since stopped using the bungie cord in the picture, as the C-clamp works great all on its own. Not a long term solution of course, but I thought I'd pass this along as a good way to keep the door shut in a pinch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me I need to adjust my latch and/or buy this spring kit. My door has popped open in cold weather a couple of times. Then I forget about it in warmer weather. Confused

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search and I believe this is the closest I've found to a thread that describes my problem. I have an 81 Vanagon L "barn find" that came out of the barn with the door open about 3 inches and it will not close any further than maybe 2 inches.

The slider mechanism attached to the door that rides in the track on the body starts to raise up inside the trackwork if I try to close it any further.

It also will not open properly unless I move ithe C shaped rod (connecting the door to the slider mechanism in the body track) out away from the van body. Meaning, the C rod is more parallel/less perpendicular to the body, and then the door will ride the track just fine.

I've cleaned and lubed the tracks with no success and used PB Blaster on the moving bits of the slider and latch, including the C pin.

What appears to be happening is that the C pin is attached to a cable running back inside the door and that cable has to allow the C pin to pivot and become parallel with the door for the door to close.

I'm planning on removing the sliding door panel to access the guts of the slider but if someone has seen this before and knows for sure what's going on, I'd sure like some advice.

The 81 came out of the barn on 4 flats and I've stolen the spare from my 72 bus and the spare from the Vanagon but I'm still short good tires to roll the 81 so I can't get it in the barn so the door needs to be closed.

Thanks

Joe
zackalope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I just lubed mine and it started working fine.

I was having similar issues. Worse in winter.

Brake cleaner to remove the 25 year old grit and a little bit of fresh grease and no more problem.
DubDzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mechinism is just shot , i used the gowesty springs along with the lube , i even adjusted the height of that bolt looking part but the latch is so warn its not catching. if plastic would hold up i would just print the damn thing but.... im almost sure its just going to break after the second time shutting
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubDzo wrote:
my mechinism is just shot , i used the gowesty springs along with the lube , i even adjusted the height of that bolt looking part but the latch is so warn its not catching. if plastic would hold up i would just print the damn thing but.... im almost sure its just going to break after the second time shutting

File the hooks on the latch square again, should take care of things for another 10 years at least.
Uniform8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - I have the same problem of the door partially unlatching on a rough road. I have put in the go-westy spring kit and lubed the sliding mechanism - but will now try moving the bolt and filing the hooks.
jphelps32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon sliding door wont latch. Reply with quote

I too am suffering from this problem and it also happened suddenly. However I have replaced and greased the springs and adjusted the latch post to no avail. The contact points are quite worn. Is anyone making replacement parts? Would love any help or new ideas. today the door opened 4 times in 15 minutes of city driving.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
The usual fault is a fairly common problem with the later door design and both a PITA and fairly easily fixed. It starts to show up when the door will bounce back if you shut it too hard. Eventually it gets to the point where the door won't latch at all. The problem is caused by a very small spring in the rear latch mechanism that gradually loses it's tension. When working properly, that spring causes the rear latch to "catch". Without it being strong enough, the door just bounces back off the pin without catching (even tho it seems to work manually when you push the latch like you did). Pull the interior handle and door panel off being careful to pull from the plastic tabs with a putty knife or better yet a door panel removal tool. Once the panel is removed, remove the little circlip from the cable that runs from the front mechanism to the rear mechanism and pull the cable off the front mechanism. Then go to the back and use a 90° screwdriver (or a bit in a 1/4" wrench) to remove the two screws holding on the rear mechanism. Pull it out far enough to undo the circlip that holds the other end of the cable in place. You can then see the little spring that I'm talking about that pushes against the lever part that holds the latch in place. Remove it and use two pairs of pliers to really bend it out so that it is exerting a whole lot more force. Reassemble everything and give it a go.

I've actually been planning on doing a pictorial on it the next time I had to fix one. If you have a digital camera, you might take some pics and post them up for the next person who has that issue.

Thanks Andrew! I completed this repair about a week ago and it works perfectly. Your description above is great! Very easy to complete. Below is a picture of the latch mechanism. I cleaned all of the springs and moving parts and bent out the spring that operates the latch "lock" to give it some more tension (upper right spring in the photo below). Put some light grease back on the springs and reassembled.

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon sliding door wont latch. Reply with quote

So if I I shut my slider - it latches but doesn't close all the way - there is still a gap between the door and the body. If I simply push on the door it then closes completely without drama. This essentially makes it impossible to close the door all the way from the inside. Based on these symptoms - do I need to replace/tighten the spring on the rear latch or adjust the pin?
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon sliding door wont latch. Reply with quote

Attempted to install the replacement gowesty latch springs to fix my problem but as you can see the lower bolt would not cooperate - any ideas?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon sliding door wont latch. Reply with quote

Quote:
there is still a gap between the door and the body. If I simply push on the door it then closes completely

per the Bentley - loosening the rear latch bolts, loosening the pin, close the door gently and push it flush to the body, measure the gap. move the pin inward to that gap, tightening all the bolts...
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon sliding door wont latch. Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Attempted to install the replacement gowesty latch springs to fix my problem but as you can see the lower bolt would not cooperate - any ideas?

Looks like it's time for a drill bit & easy out. Plus you can't really get a straight shot at the latch with the door on so you will probably need to remove the door, or at least take the back slider loose, swing the door out and support it on a stand. Then when you get the latch off, you'll need a new fastener. Boy, things really cascade out of control when one thing goes wrong!!! It's like Murphy always seems to lend a hand when it's time to work on the van.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon sliding door wont latch. Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

Looks like it's time for a drill bit & easy out. Plus you can't really get a straight shot at the latch with the door on so you will probably need to remove the door, or at least take the back slider loose, swing the door out and support it on a stand. Then when you get the latch off, you'll need a new fastener. Boy, things really cascade out of control when one thing goes wrong!!! It's like Murphy always seems to lend a hand when it's time to work on the van.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: