Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thermal window insulation preferences
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

i'm looking to get a set of thermal window insulation, not the custom stuff, but the suction cup stuff.

a buddy of mine has a set from bus depot that he really likes, but they're out of stock.

GoWesty carries the Just Kampers product, which claims to be made in Turkey.

I might try them, but first, has anyone bought these and can you share your level of satisfaction.

thanks

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

Make your own and use super magnets. It doesn't have top fit perfectly to do the job.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

I have a set of the JK ones you speak of. I've had them for a couple years now and use them quite often - some of them all of the time. The windshield one is definitely showing the most wear- tears in the seams, and a few of the grommets want to come off. I've used some of that silver tape and glue to keep them together. Mostly it's the windshield one that gets the most abuse. They are definitely not indestructible but I like my set and didn't want to fiddle with making my own. If you have a clean window and it's not too cold the suctions work fine.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

Great ideas. Let's have someone make templates so we can whack out some 1/8" plexi and make a set. Mags and spaces should work fine. What happens to the front defrost? Does it take a long time for the ice to melt off the windshield or demist it?

Duncan
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

I have the ones from Van Cafe. They're currently out of stock but I think they're pretty much the same thing regardless of vendor.

https://vancafe.com/window-insulation-complete-8-piece-kit/

The suction cups can be finicky on mine; they're not the highest quality and can deform over time. But overall, I'm happy with the covers. They do what they were designed to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

OK, now I get it. These are at rest insulating panels, not driving ones.

Duncan
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

I bought the ones from bus depot years ago. I think they are JK campers. The suction cups suck. I never used them because of the suction cups. They would fall in the middle of the night and not stick. I guess the trick is clean windows but we have 3 dogs so that isn't a possibility. Last winter I got a sewing machine and made some Covers for them out of grey fleece. They work like pillow covers. I made the pattern big enough to snap into the window frame.I do not mind drilling holes into the van. I then put different snaps all round the window frame and the curtains. I ordered the snaps from sailmakers. We used them a bunch last winter sleeping in ski resort parking lots. I like them so much that I actually keep them up on the passenger side windows, the rear hatch and the rear drivers side all year. They keep the warmth in and the heat out. I live in Flagstaff, AZ 7000' and in the winter frequent resorts in AZ, CO, UT and NM. We do not have a furnace yet, and they have kept the van super comfy in the winter. The water didn't freeze and we stayed warm. Here is a photo of them. It was my first sewing job and I am really happy how they turned out. I will make modification before this winter to improve them for my needs.

The female snaps are on the curtains and the males are on the van

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I bought the ones from bus depot years ago. I think they are JK campers. The suction cups suck. I never used them because of the suction cups. They would fall in the middle of the night and not stick. I guess the trick is clean windows but we have 3 dogs so that isn't a possibility. Last winter I got a sewing machine and made some Covers for them out of grey fleece. They work like pillow covers. I made the pattern big enough to snap into the window frame.I do not mind drilling holes into the van. I then put different snaps all round the window frame and the curtains. I ordered the snaps from sailmakers. We used them a bunch last winter sleeping in ski resort parking lots. I like them so much that I actually keep them up on the passenger side windows, the rear hatch and the rear drivers side all year. They keep the warmth in and the heat out. I live in Flagstaff, AZ 7000' and in the winter frequent resorts in AZ, CO, UT and NM. We do not have a furnace yet, and they have kept the van super comfy in the winter. The water didn't freeze and we stayed warm. Here is a photo of them. It was my first sewing job and I am really happy how they turned out. I will make modification before this winter to improve them for my needs.

The female snaps are on the curtains and the males are on the van

this is excellent. so you've got the bus depot thermals inside the covers. i'm wondering if i should just use standard insulation inside covers for this purpose. i like the snaps

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

You totally can use whatever you want in there. When I did body work I insulated the van body panels with sound deadener then 3m insulation. The 3m stuff was pretty expensive and I didn't have enough to do all the windows. I had the insulted curtains already and just decided to used them. I also made a set for my buddy with the bubble insulation for home depot, he hasn't used them in the winter yet, just the summer to keep the sun out. Try what every you have laying around. If you decide that they do not insulate as well as you want, you can always restuff them with something else. When it's super cold out, I just hang a moving blanket between my front seats with magnets. That makes the living area smaller and really keeps it warmer. Lots of hot tea and hot meals, we also burn a 3 burner candle for a bit of heat- this year we will install a furnace. Let us know how it goes. If you are going to do lots of snaps, I would really suggest a good snap tool, not the "button and bar provided."
I do not suggest this tool, I used it, but it took way more work- I am at work and can not post the link only a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlRwHwo6eW8
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

I have modified the JK window insulation set to exclude suction cups and replaced with magnets...

I have a set of JustKampers, 8 piece set (JK for short) that many major vanagon/bus vendors are selling on their websites. I like the set... I really do, however, the Achilles heel of the product are the suction cups. The rest of the product is A+ in my opinion (B- out of the box without my own modification, only because of the lousy suction cups). These insulation panels keep the small amount of heat I have in the van inside, and add a large amount of privacy.

Disadvantage of the suction cups:
1: They don't stick after short times, due to weather/temp/pressure changes/glass cleanliness.
2: They leave that dirty "suction cup" ring.
3. The camper bug screen on the sliding side windows doesn't allow for suction cups.

I thought and researched long and hard for some fixes that would remedy the issues above, and came out with the following, and I am more than pleased with my solution, and would like JK to join in with their manufacturing process if they see fit, as I think this is THE solution to the "suction cup" delete improvement.

I bought these 1/4 x 1/4 Inch Strong Neodymium magnets from a well known internet URL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191998499941?hash=item2cb...BM-oS_6dVg

I then unstitched a few inches of the piping around each side of the panel and inserted 3-4 magnet pieces inside the piping and pushed them throughout with my fingernail (and sometimes a nylon tool when necessary). Each side window panel has probably 44+ magnets total sewn throughout in links of 3-4.
That is, 44 total, in 3 OR 4 chains approximately spaced 4 to 6 inches apart throughout the entire circumference of each panel.

Lastly, the seams of the piping are sewn up, and I can barley tell it is not "factory". I am very happy with this solution, and encourage others that don't like the "suction cup" issues.

[size=18]
I did not place magnets on the rear hatch or front windscreen insulation covers. The rear is held in pretty well using the stock Westfalia curtains and already installed curtain hardware. The front was held in pretty well using the sun visors and JK insulation panel's stiffness, however, after a few years of use the front panel has become more "pliable", and does not sit as stiff as it once did. I will probably in the near future add this MOD to the front wind screen panel as well, but it is still OK as of now.

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

I made mine out of Reflectix and magnets and they work fine. I haven't busted out the IR gun, but anything over the windows is going to help. They get stashed under the mattress no problem or in the coat closet in a westy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

mine is from Bus-OK in Germany. I think it is the same as the JK ones.
https://www.bus-ok.de/Type25-thermo-mat-kit-complete-car-8-pieces-1979-to-1992
There is an SSP logo on it https://www.sspautomotiveparts.com/

Last edited by ZsZ on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

the_benjamin_effect wrote:
I have modified the JK window insulation set to exclude suction cups and replaced with magnets...

Great idea and execution!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: thermal window insulation preferences Reply with quote

It's a part of getting the Van ready for bed; get out the window blankets, twist the suction cups in, stick 'em to the windows. Reflectix for the pop-up keeps in your heat and you get to keep the headroom and storage.

Had ours 4 years. Not indestructible but you can work with them.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: