Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Radio
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mconant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Need Radio Reply with quote

I need a new radio for a '90 vanagon. Some radios I found on the internet will fit in the radio slot in the dashboard size-wise, but I need one that will connect to the wires in the back of the radio specifically for a VW vanagon. I want a radio that has a CD player and possibly a way to connect my Ipod.
Thanks!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any radio you buy can be made to work with the wiring. You will not find one that just plugs straight in. You either need to buy a model specific wiring harness/adapter for $25-$30, or cut and splice into the old wiring. It is common to do this so you shouldn't worry about it. If you don't feel comfortable installing it that way, any stereo store will do it for you. When you buy a stereo, many stores even offer free installation.

Go to this link and you might find a harness that will work for you.
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/carselector.asp...3d736&
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a physical standpoint, you will need a "shorter" unit. My Pioneer was a tight fit. Any longer, and it woul hit the air duct.

The wiring is easy. You are just matching colors and crimping wires.
The only funky part is pulling a switched signal off of the fan so you can leave the stereo "on" all the time and not drain the battery.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic housing of the heater box can be "shaped" in the area where it interferes with a slightly deeper radio. It's just plastic at that spot with nothing metal, moving, or fragile behind it. Use the heat implement of your choice, I found a common blow dryer got it hot enough to mold with the rounded end (the non-business end) of a large Craftsman screwdriver. I didn't think it wise to be waving a MAPP torch around inside my dash.

Heat it up till the plastic gets soft, gently push in with the blunt instrument, move over a 1/2 inch, repeat until you've carved out a little more depth for the bottom edge of the back of your head unit.

For most head units, you only need another 1/2 inch or inch of clearance.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to run an additional wire to the rear speakers to get a higher powered head unit to work in stereo.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An "install kit" is something that allows you to accommodate a new head unit to your specific car. For the Vanagon, a generic install kit will provide a nice little frame that allows the unit to push out a bit from the "flush" position, which means you can use any standard size unit. This is extremely common, so don't get caught up in the sizing. The install kit looks at least as good as stock in my opinion. Here is a picture of mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You will notice that the kit bumps the head unit out so it is not tucked so far under the dash protrusion above. It is a win-win! Choose the deck you want, and get better access to the buttons and read out!

This pic also shows the installation area for my future surround sound center channel! Woot!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
You may have to run an additional wire to the rear speakers to get a higher powered head unit to work in stereo.

Shouldn't be an issue on the OPs '90.
I had no issue with the original wires on my '91
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Gauche1968 wrote:

Shouldn't be an issue on the OPs '90.
I had no issue with the original wires on my '91

Right, might be the case for older vans.
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the crutchfield suggestion. Found a unit that would likely fit (Clarion), also got the conversion/install kit, and all went pretty smooth.
Yeap, fortunately the newer vanagons don't have the shared grounding wire for the speakers. Hardest part for noobs like me is finding the proper hot wire(s) to splice into.

Definitely get a unit with a USB port! Allows for simple USB keys as music media, or usually allows direct iPod/etc hookup.
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other design feature I liked is a tilting head. The angle of view for the vanishingly small writing they use on units today makes them a bit hard to read. So a head that tilts on turn on is a nice feature as well.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio plugs from VW are standard Blaupunkt plugs from what I've seen. My new Blaupunkt would have just plugged in to the stock harness if some idiot hand's hacked it at some juncture to put in a crap tape deck.

No guarantees but of a random sample it would have worked.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Vibe; I need to know what that aluminum circle just to the left of the head of your shifter knob. Nobody has ever been able to tell me.

Okay back to the thread's business. I'm watching this as I have the Kenwood AM/FM with Cassette plus a 10 CD changer. On the Country Home I hope to buy when S'sWWs is sold I'd like to add a thin radio/CD player that I already have that has a single CD slot. 10 is great for the road but not driving around. So I am getting some ideas from this thread. I'm not concerned re the wiring (altho I did get the vehicle end of the harness as well.

What the heck is that aluminum hole that apparently was on buses and some Westy's??? If I stick my pinky finger in there will I get a charge Question Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
powderedwaters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
Classic Vibe; I need to know what that aluminum circle just to the left of the head of your shifter knob. Nobody has ever been able to tell me.

The Cigarette Adapter?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this one

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-MP342U

Fits fine in my '81. I wired the Kenwood plug to existing wires.

In searching for a new receiver, it seemed to me that on some brands/models, the heat sink might be too close, or up against, the plastic (heat exchange box)

One feature I miss is no on/off on remote. Wish I had that!

Crutchfield is a great resource.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry now I see that in the picture it is a lighter hole. The one I'm talking about is in addition to the lighter outlet. It was manufactured in some buses and some vanagons but nobody seems to know what it was meant for. Its hollow with an end. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited by DAIZEE on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitly get one with a remote.
I think they are silly for 99% of cars, but they are sweet in a van.
jefalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Sony stereo - detachable face, plays CDs, plugs directly into your ipod and charges it or can play via a usb port. Can also plug into the headphone jack and play anything. Has a remote also, which is an invaluable tool.

I strongly recommend testing a few out in the store and bring your ipod with you to attach it so you can get a good feel of how you can navigate the ipod through the stereo. The Sony I have is actually easier and quicker to navigate the ipod through the stereo than manually - even with using the remote. Some of the stereos have very complicated interfaces and that was a turn off for me.

Mine was about $150 last year.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
Sorry now I see that in the picture it is a lighter hole. The one I'm talking about is in addition to the lighter outlet. It was manufactured in some buses and some vanagons but nobody seems to know what it was meant for. Its hollow with an end. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow or Friday.

Simba, I have that plug in my Westy and from what I understand its for some European type accessories.

After having a set of tires installed the tire guy tried to use it as the ignition switch and he ended up shorting out the fuses to my radio and alarm system.

I pluged it up by installing a small plastic spring clip into the hole and I keep my gas receipt attached to it.

That "plug" has confusamated a few people, dont feel bad Wink
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:

It's a 12v accessory socket. The type of plug is used on BMW motorcycles, a few models of busses and Vanagons, and John Deere tractors, of all things. The cheapest way to get a solder-on plug for it is at a tractor store for about $10. Or $50 from BMW for the same thing Smile

http://www.vanagon.com/info/faq/index.htm#silver_socket

My '84 had it. I drilled out the hole and put in a standard 12V North American socket.

Robyn
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
An "install kit" is something that allows you to accommodate a new head unit to your specific car. For the Vanagon, a generic install kit will provide a nice little frame that allows the unit to push out a bit from the "flush" position, which means you can use any standard size unit. This is extremely common, so don't get caught up in the sizing. The install kit looks at least as good as stock in my opinion. Here is a picture of mine:

[...snip...]
You will notice that the kit bumps the head unit out so it is not tucked so far under the dash protrusion above. It is a win-win! Choose the deck you want, and get better access to the buttons and read out!

This pic also shows the installation area for my future surround sound center channel! Woot!

Hi Classicvibe,

Which install kit did you use to mount the head unit out slightly? Got a part number or link? I need one for my '84.

Thanks,

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: