Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tranny out What else should I do???
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Tranny out What else should I do??? Reply with quote

I have the tranny out of my syncro and I want to make sure I am doing everything I need too. I am pulling the tank out to reseal but Im not doing the fuel lines, Should I? I am going to do some damage control with rust in that area. pr 15 and truck bed liner. I saw a cool post about that.
Should I be replacing hoses, fuel lines, fluids, I would hate to miss something. Change tranny fluid? I only want to do this once.
My diff lock is working. However I have no clue how to trouble shoot it now?
This whole project started to get the clutch unstuck...
Westy-Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do anything and everything you can get your hands on now. Inspect all the lines, coolant hoses, wires, etc.
Any of the above that are in nead of TLC do it now, it's soooo much easier with the trans out.

I would also replace that engine sound dampening/heat material. It gets quite brittle with time and loses it's effectiveness. You may even want to put some B-Quiet or similar material on the body above the trans to help reduce engine noise/vibrations.

Cheers!
Dave
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy-Life wrote:
I would do anything and everything you can get your hands on now. Inspect all the lines, coolant hoses, wires, etc.
Any of the above that are in nead of TLC do it now, it's soooo much easier with the trans out.

I would also replace that engine sound dampening/heat material. It gets quite brittle with time and loses it's effectiveness. You may even want to put some B-Quiet or similar material on the body above the trans to help reduce engine noise/vibrations.

Cheers!
Dave

where do you get the engine sound dampening/heat material from?
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much fuel line should I get and what kind? ie size.
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion to replace everything that might be difficult to get at with the tranny in. Any component that is easily within reach should be replaced. Use the pieces you remove as known working spares. Not only will this reset a lot of your parts, but its possible and likely that some of the parts you proactively replace today might not be available tomorrow.

Also, replace all the seals on the tranny while its out. I had my tranny out last year and opted not to replace the seals on the driveshafts. Guess what started to leak recently Sad It would have been much easier to do with the tranny on the bench.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV Boots come to mind. You may want to replace a few of the shift linkage boots and bushings while you have it apart. Take a close look at your coolant lines, especially the ones running along the bellhousing, they are about 100 times easier to replace now. You will also find that the majority of the tie wraps will break at the slightest touch. Especially the ones running along the frame members. You may want to replace a few of them. Not cool to have your wire bundle hanging down on a Syncro. Ruins your day to rip off the wires when your a zillion miles from anywhere.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kshbaja wrote:
I second the suggestion to replace everything that might be difficult to get at with the tranny in. Any component that is easily within reach should be replaced. Use the pieces you remove as known working spares. Not only will this reset a lot of your parts, but its possible and likely that some of the parts you proactively replace today might not be available tomorrow.

Also, replace all the seals on the tranny while its out. I had my tranny out last year and opted not to replace the seals on the driveshafts. Guess what started to leak recently Sad It would have been much easier to do with the tranny on the bench.

Now this one I am a little afraid to do. I think that might be a bridge to far for myself.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check the oil slinger in the bell housing, the pilot bearing in the end of the crank and the atmospheric bleed on the top of the tranny.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing tranny stuff now on my 2WD. Bentley's outside so I hope I'm not off base (you have a Syncro)

If not on your list (your stuck clutch)...

check for excessive play in cross shaft.
though unlikely, (if it's better quality and not aftermarket poop part) inspect arms on cross shaft for cracking.
if bushings ok, sneak some Moly into bushings on each end. Especially blind hole bushing. Possibly enough L/R play to allow this.

Throw out bearing tube secure? My Westy c/w one bolt hole stripped. Make sure TOB tube secured properly. Case/housing metal is soft so if doing seal, don't over torque. I used a little Blue locktite. On mine, there are grabby type washers for bolts.

TOB should spin but not a lot and no excessive play. Make sure it's on there right.

Inspect tranny mount rubber. If changing tranny oil, use a little antiseize on fill/drain plugs.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your starter?
Westy-Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-Quiet you can get from here --> http://www.b-quiet.com/

The other stuff you get from a junkyard. Open the hood of a vehicle and yank it off the underside of the hood. Then when you get it home, cut to fit. I tape the edges after so all the insulation does not come out or get wet.

Cheers!
Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: