Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Door Differences
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbug14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Front Door Differences Reply with quote

Was wondering what changes the Single Cab doors had (differences) between 1960 upto 1968?

please help.

Thanks
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bagpipe goatee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. In the beginning of 64 they changed the handles, latches, and door panel retainers.

68 was a baywindow with a totally different door.
oodeftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the yearly breakdown for changes to the front doors on split busses? 50-55, 56-63, 64-67? I have a 59 and I'm trying to figure out why the passenger door doesn't fit right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55-67 fit same opening. Latch and outer door handle area changed. Post images of your fit problem.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a thread from the FAQ.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481086

It is about door handle differences, but that overlaps with door differences.
SC doors are the same as the same as on a bus buildt at the same time.
oodeftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
55-67 fit same opening. Latch and outer door handle area changed. Post images of your fit problem.

I know you've been waiting with baited breathe for these photos... Sorry, I was waiting to get the door back together first. Chrome took 6 months! Here are some pics of my passenger door fitment problems. The problem is the overhang in the dogleg area and a very tight fit in the upper, rear corner. What do you think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door looks correct for '59 by the handle area. I had a similar overhang when installing my new doglegs. The doors are quite flexable and there are many many ways to adjust them. I used lumber and clamps to flatten mine. I think this door can be adjusted to fit but in the end the paint may need repair.

I see a deviation in your dogleg. You could make a cardboard template to compare right and left sides to see if it is the door or dogleg that is out. It is possible to adjust either one.
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
oodeftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
The door looks correct for '59 by the handle area. I had a similar overhang when installing my new doglegs. The doors are quite flexable and there are many many ways to adjust them. I used lumber and clamps to flatten mine. I think this door can be adjusted to fit but in the end the paint may need repair.

I see a deviation in your dogleg. You could make a cardboard template to compare right and left sides to see if it is the door or dogleg that is out. It is possible to adjust either one.

Any chance you have pictures of the set-up you used? Maybe a good explanation of what you did exactly. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: