Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat belts for my 67
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Seat belts for my 67 Reply with quote

Hi there,

As spring is getting closer I need to fit seat belts into my 67 Bug as it did not come with belts originally. I will be driving with my family and therefore really need to fit belts in front and back.

I would like to ask you guys what kind of belts I should put into my 67. Would you recommend the retractor front seat belts or the fixed ones? How much space does the retractor take?

Kindly post some pictures of your seat belts arrangements.

I will be buying the belts from Wolfsburg west. Would you recommend a better seller, cheaper maybe?

Thanks, Al.
Stumpy 09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the ones from Wolfsburg West a couple weeks ago for my 67. I did not get the retractable ones because of the price. They were very easy to install. I was very happy with the quality and hardware that came with the belts. The non retractable ones are a little awkward when you get in the car and try to buckle up but I could'nt justify the BIG differance in price.
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about '67 (and a little bit earlier cars) is that there are seat belt mounting points already installed at the factory. Even if your car did not come with belts, it has the ability for them to be installed. There are mounting points for both lap belts and shoulder belts. modern 3 point retractable belts were not available at the time of production but they can be retrofit with the WW kit you mentioned. Some people say that 3 point belts should only be used in conjunction with seats that have some kind of head rest due to whiplash concerns. Here are your options:

1. Find and install some original retractable lap belts.
2. Find and install some original (non-retractalbe) shoulder belts. These were usually installed outside of the USA.
3. Install modern reproduction non-retractable lap belts as sold by WW and others.
4. Instsall modern 3 point retractable lap belts as sold by WW and others.

The choice is up to you but one thing I would not be asking is: "What is the cheapest option". Do you really want to be cheap on something like saftey?

I am by no means an expert on this so anyone else with more info please chime in.
Insaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the non-retractable 3 point style on my front seats. I will say they work good, it's a simple bolt installation. The one problem I have is when other people use them, they seem to confuse people a lot. It's especially annoying when people exit the car and slam the buckle in the door. One of the downsides of non-retractable.

I looked on WW right now, their retractable seat belts are $120? There are many other places you can buy seat belts from, check out this website, there are a lot of different buckle combinations and other things:

http://www.gotbelts.com/index.html

Here is also a retractable seat belt from cip1, with the chrome latch style. It's not bad for the price, includes the plastic sleeve. I think it'd be cheaper to get the same from the other website tho'.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-857-033
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you help guys.

Do you know if WW are still selling the retractable belts in light brown?

Any chance even that you guys have photos of the arrangements?

Thanks Al.
bobjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From their website, it looks like they sell the 3 point retractable in Black only. You can get non-retractable in tan, however. I installed the WW retractable in my 67 and it was fairly easy. You asked how big the retractor is...I'd say it was smaller than a can of Coke and it mounts on a supplied bracket on the B pillar, about next to a rear passengers knee, say. It does get in the way when rear passengers enter or exit, but there's not a lot of room back there to begin with. I have lap belts only for the rear passengers. If by "family" you mean a couple of kids, there's no problem. Adults may be a little cramped in the backseat of a Bug.
Bob
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allihjelm wrote:
Thanks for you help guys.

Do you know if WW are still selling the retractable belts in light brown?

Any chance even that you guys have photos of the arrangements?

Thanks Al.

I got these from Jbugs a while back. They have them in quite a few colors.
http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PRO...=UniBelts4
I went with these because they have the old look, but are retractable. Most retractables have a black plastic receiver piece, but these have the cool chrome latch. I put a wolfsburg crest sticker on mine. They are a little fidgety sometimes when trying to pull them to put them on (they will want to catch), but you just have to pull slow. I don't think it is the fault of the seatbelt, but more the low shoulder mount on the car. The mount is slightly lower that the top of the seat back, so when pulling the seatbelt, you are pulling it up and over the top of the seat, and then down across your chest. Just have to pull slow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irishdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also go down to the junkyard and yank some later 3 point harnesses out of another bug they're almost straight bolt on

all you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom of your b pillar for the post thats on the retractor to seat into

thats what i got in mine but make sure they still have good spring tension in them
mine dont so i end up with my seatbelt hanging out the door when i park it alot
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the size of the mounting bolts for the 67 seat belts? I cant find any listed as 67 none of the junk at my house will work, and every one I email on ts wants to know the size of them... any help is welcome.
Jonathan
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddadams77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: 3 point seat belt installation Reply with quote

I just finished ulphostrying my car but i can only find 2 seat belt holes , one at the bottom rear seat floor and the other at mid quarter window. Can anyone tell me were the third seat belt hole is?
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the non retractable ones from WW also and they are just fine. I got tired of the center belt flopping between seat and tunnel even getting stuck in there a few times. I found this as my solution that seems to work great.

I had some old used computer chairs just taking up space in the garage and then I noticed the plastic covering on the seat back. Here are some photos that can better explain what I did. It's a good solution for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't buy used seat belts. nylon degrades and weakens over time. sun light and other factors also wear them out. just better to get new regardless of style
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:
I had some old used computer chairs just taking up space in the garage and then I noticed the plastic covering on the seat back.

That is really slick. I may steal this idea. Cool

Red River VW Club- http://www.redrivervwclub.com
dbelkhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeep wrangler has the same type of belt that makes it curve and free-standing. Could get a used set somewhere, not sure about the other side to click into it?
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr73 wrote:
Aynthm wrote:
I had some old used computer chairs just taking up space in the garage and then I noticed the plastic covering on the seat back.

That is really slick. I may steal this idea. Cool

Thanks, those buckles kept falling between the tunnel and seat rails and getting stuck. This keeps them right where you need them at all times and was free. Doesn't look too bad either.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's perfect! I can't tell you how many times I've had to contort myself to get to the buckle that has fallen between the seat and the tunnel.

Wonder where I can buy just those pieces?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Wonder where I can buy just those pieces?

I bet if you looked at a thrift store you could pick up a couple of crappy desk chairs for under $5 a pop. Wink

dbelkhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that this post was from 2010 and the rebirth of this post was asking where to find the third seat-belt bolt hole. Am I correct or did I read this wrong?
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbelkhart wrote:
I just noticed that this post was from 2010 and the rebirth of this post was asking where to find the third seat-belt bolt hole. Am I correct or did I read this wrong?

Oh funny. It sure is. I just saw the chair-back mod and got all starry eyed. Having installed belts over the weekend in my 63, here's what I can tell you about that year, I don't know for other years.

I had plastic plugs in the car plugging seat belt holes in the following locations:

For front seats:
--mid-way up the b-pillar (shoulder hole)
--on the floor just inside the heater channel (behind the seat rail on either side)
--on the tunnel (again, behind the seat rail a bit).

For rear seats:
--in the center above where the tunnel/chassis VIN stamp is.
--behind each rear window (for rear shoulder belt)

There was no designated belt hole for the outer part of the rear seat lap belt. You use two of the bolts that are already in the car.

Also, I have read that having these holes in the car was a factory option (I think??). It might depend on what options your car had, and whether it was a german, export, or where its intended destination was when it left the factory. From what I understand I was pretty lucky that I had all these holes in my 63.

Here's a pic to help you.

I don't have a pic of the front seat area before i installed them, but this one shows them installed in the holes in the tunnel, for the front seats.

dbelkhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was about seat-belts too until I finished my 2nd cup of coffee. Maybe I will get to work now or maybe I won't. ha ha, I just might stay on here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: