Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Rubber Floor Mat Reproduction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in an order with John back in late January...I know they are nice. I got to see them installed in another lowlight. Cool They are "off the hook" nice. I then HAD to have them. I'll keep everyone posted. Cool

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Does John do a set for Right Hand Drive Cars? I'd buy a set if that was the case
Nicholas

Just turn them upside down Razz
1983 Ford 350 Econoline Ambulance
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
various Honda, GMC daily drivers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
memokarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slafa wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
Does John do a set for Right Hand Drive Cars? I'd buy a set if that was the case
Nicholas

Just turn them upside down :P

It won't work they are ribbed in only one side
New Beetle 10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Razz Razz Razz this means I am razzing someone... Rolling Eyes Laughing
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: lemke ghia mats Reply with quote

'slafa'=i love someone with a sense of humor! 'memokarmann'=i am surprised john hasn't jumped in here to answer this-as far as the right hand drive version mats. i do know that he has 'primo' original examples that he makes 'castings' off of-one at a time and it is very time consuming just to get a set out. i don't know if he has the right hand set samples-pretty rare around here(here being continental u.s.a.)! drop him a line at his email: [email protected]
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slafa wrote:
Razz Razz Razz Razz this means I am razzing someone... Rolling Eyes Laughing

I knew I was being razzed. AND I know which side of my floor mats is buttered Cool .. a fun idea nonetheless
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do plan to make RHD sets. I am hoping soon! A friend in Australia has been waiting patiently for a LONG time and that is my next project, once I get caught up with my late orders.

I will you guys know.

I don't want this thread to turn into an ad, so if anyone wants to get on my waiting list, go ahead and email me at [email protected] and we can get the details there. I will only ask for payment when your mats are made and ready to ship.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the flattering compliments on the floor mats!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Here is a pic of a prototype RHD drivers' mat:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemke wrote:
BTW, Here is a pic of a prototype RHD drivers' mat:

So dreams can come true! Surprised

I'll have a set of them thanks Mr Lemke

Nicholas
pgerber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicholas, you are a very very lucky guy! I ordered and payed my mats TWO YEARS ago and i'm still waiting...! Evil or Very Mad
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgerber wrote:
Nicholas, you are a very very lucky guy! I ordered and payed my mats TWO YEARS ago and i'm still waiting...! Evil or Very Mad

Please email or PM John here to resolve your problem. John has recently made it clear in this topic he wishes to quickly resolve all outstanding orders.
psa928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's a silly question -- on an original car, straight off the dealer's lot, was there carpet, or floor mats, or a combination of both? (asking specifically for a '72, but an interesting question for all years)
I assume in either case you've got the tarboard over the floor boards, but then what goes on top?
The PO put some cheap carpet pieces in my car, and I'd like to bring it back to "original" condition -- I'm just not sure if this means a new carpet set or these beautiful looking floor mats.
tondemonai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 56 to 60, there was rubber matting on the tunnel, floors, and the front bulkhead halfway up, then carpet. Carpet on the rockers, front wheel well, and back kickboard.
From 60 on, it was carpet everywhere but the tunnel.
Not sure when or if the tunnel got carpet.

Check the sticky here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198027

for more info.
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: ghia floor mats Reply with quote

what!!! "from 1960 on-carpet everywhere but tunnel"-wrong! its simple-just look at your owner's manual and see the rubber mats! its been so long that people have seen rubber mats and even at the best vw shows where the finest restored ghia's are featured with carpeted floors(i'm talking pre'67 ghia's here) that this has become the 'norm' and correct look-its wrong. the ghia came with ribbed rubber mats. the original rubber mats are so flimsy they lasted only a few years-prompting owners to buy the 'coco-weave' mats which were more durable-but slid around easily. don't take my word on it-refer to your owner manual(make sure you have right year also) and clearly see ribbed rubber mats. don't have a manual?-no problem-please refer to the greatest source on the web for v.w. info-the samba tech section-'manuals'. also-mats came in various colors-factory 'dyed' to match carpet. b.t.w.-wolfsburg west has the rubber for the early tunnel(heater knob type) for the bug with some modification(simply remove some material) to the back will fit the ghia tunnel. they are excellant! i have the lemke repro ghia rubber floor mats in my '64 ghia-they look better everyday! easy maintenance also-wipe 'em clean.
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the last year for the rubber mats was 1970. (could have been '71) After that ( 71? - 74)the last Ghias came with removable carpet floor mats. I wonder if rubber mats were still offered as an option?
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Karmann was pretty wise when they spec'ed the KG from the start with removable rubber floor mats. When you put full carpeting in, it's the kiss of death for the floors. Why? Like submarines and dams, all Karmann Ghias leak water. Being able to remove floor mats to properly (and conveniently) dry out the pans is very, very desirable.
tondemonai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stand corrected, sorry Smile
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
...full carpeting in, it's the kiss of death for the floors. Why? Like submarines and dams, all Karmann Ghias leak water. Being able to remove floor mats to properly (and conveniently) dry out the pans is very, very desirable.

Exactly why we never glue the floor pieces of
carpeting to the pans. When I explain why this is done,
we always get understanding and agreement.

"Like submarines and dams," Laughing

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting rubber mat conversation going on in the KG of A email list (starts at the bottom and scrolls up):

Not offended at all. Thanks. I am glad to hear that Lemeke is getting it done. These posts are a good promo for him.

The important thing to me is support of the hobby. My philosophy is that the best way to keep Ghias (and other VWs) away from the crusher is to make their restoration a positive experience. That owner or shop my become an enthusiast and restore another and encourage others to do so. For KGPR and Airhead to promote that; having quality parts, shipped quickly and tech support are most important. Though some suppliers may compete with me, if they deliver a positive experience, it is likely good for all, including me, if that makes any sense.

Scott

--Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 10:57 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [KG] Original Ghia Rubber Floor Mats

I didn't mean to offend anyone, least of all you Scott. The same person you quoted, oldvdub, later in the same thread had this to say after receiving his three sets of mats:

"i know this is the reply everyone has been waiting for.....for me to jump back into the forum on the lemke ghia mats. well...where to start....i got 'em....and as soon as i can catch my breath i'll continue-they're awesome! others have said it and it was an understatement...worth the wait...absolutely! i am blown away-they are 'the' item you need to finish your interior."

So you can hold on to the way things were when John was sick and the mats weren't going out, or you can come into the present and believe oldvdub's second statement that the quality is breathtaking and well worth the wait.

I was just trying to let people know, yourself included, that someone was actually doing what you are thinking of doing, no need to invent the wheel twice unless you want to of course.

Steve

On May 7, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Scott wrote:

OK,

Seems Mid America has got everyone covered, yeah?

And Steve, took a look at the first page you recommended. Here is an excerpt:

hi-don't send money to lemke if he gets ahold of you. i have paid for 3 complete sets and have been without contact for 1 and a half years now-he stifted me close to 600usd!!!! be warned!!

Though there is also someone who was happy as well…..

Hey, does anybody want to buy a whole Ghia mail order business??

Scott
H. Scott Dempster
CEO KGPR Inc.
1604 Morse Ave
Ventura, CA 93003

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 9:11 AM
Subject: RE: [KG] Original Ghia Rubber Floor Mats

Mid America Motorworks also manufactures and sells high quality aftermarket carpet style mats in a variety of colors and binding choices. These are cut to order to the correct shape for Karmann Ghia, Beetle or Bus. All of our Ghia floor mats except the Coco Mats are made here in Illinois at our Automotive Interior factory known as Performance Choice.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/acvw.html?store=4&keywords=floor+mat

http://www.performancechoice.com/

Tim – ’64 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [KG] Original Ghia Rubber Floor Mats

John Lemke makes a high quality repro floor mat but he has been ill and has been behind in trying to keep pace with orders, you can check the story out here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406125&highlight=rubber+floor+mats

Steve

On May 7, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Scott wrote:

Dear KG Group,

I am looking at making an original quality reproduction floor mats.

It looks like the price would be about $300 a set. Who would buy a set and what color?

Thanks,

Scott
KGPR
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: early rubber floor mat reproduction Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Johns health is on the mend - I need to buy 3 sets of mats for cars I am restoring, and I have had no replies to e-mails to both His addresses

Regards Jerry Heldt
KG Company of Australia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: