Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clean engine case
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kever56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Clean engine case Reply with quote

What's the best way for cleaning an engine case.
I've seen pic's here of the okrasa engines of mr okrasa and they are really "clean"

greetings

Geert
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most are mediablast their cases with glaspowder but the cleaning is the main point after that ( removeing all oilplugs), cleaning all oildrains and if you think it is clean, do it again...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mr. okrasa do als a threatment of coating his cases to get the gold looking surface but that is his TOP secret how he does it...

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the cleanest cases i have seen recently have been hot tanked and then soda blasted. the cases look NOS and the soda washes away with water.

oval56 wrote:
mr. okrasa do als a threatment of coating his cases to get the gold looking surface but that is his TOP secret how he does it...

yes, ultimate top secret, just don't tell anyone in the aircraft industry.
and definitely don't look at this http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/Magnesium-Treatment-Kit-p421.html
and don't read these threads:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275361
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160208
kever56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you blast it yourself? With wat?
Do you also doing the inside?
How do you protect the parts that you can't blast

Greetings
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
some of the cleanest cases i have seen recently have been hot tanked and then soda blasted. the cases look NOS and the soda washes away with water.

A veteran VW guy said he was a little concerned about my planning a "hot tank treatment" for my backup 36 HP case. He seemed to be more concerned that it was a 36 and not a 1600, but I may not have that right. It's never been line bored. I have a local guy that will "tank" it for $25. I know Hazetguy knows his stuff, so what are the possible concerns about magnesium and a hot tank? I still consider myself to be a novice, so I know nothing. I want to hot tank it to be sure I'm getting it really clean. Also, I don't think this guy is going to 'soda blast' my block, so am I still good to go with the "tanking"? I'm not building a trailer queen. Very Happy Here's my case currently sprayed with 'Easy Off'...

outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I found this thread. I'm also building a 36 horse and am considering cleaning the case while I have it torn down. Don't need to eat off it but don't want to spend all summer scrubbing either.

I am considering splitting the case then blasting it with walnut shells or some type of glass. Also planning on blasting the heads at the same time. Are there any holes in my plan?

SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outoftheoffice wrote:
Glad I found this thread. I'm also building a 36 horse and am considering cleaning the case while I have it torn down. Don't need to eat off it but don't want to spend all summer scrubbing either.

I am considering splitting the case then blasting it with walnut shells or some type of glass. Also planning on blasting the heads at the same time. Are there any holes in my plan?

I started a 36 HP rebuild thread in here in Vintage, but it was moved to the Oval section. I don't know why. I'm sure there's probably a valid reason. What's funny is, I don't even have an oval.

Anyway, a few folks have weighed in (negatively) on glass beading a case. I don't know enough to comment. I dropped mine off before I read anything on the subject so I'll see when I get it back. You can read their comments here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408776
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not "hot tank" your case. find a vw engine or trans shop that has the 55 gallon drum of carburater cleaner. do not let oven cleaner near your magnesium case.
do not blast your case with anything.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with Bill on this one... Magnesium is fairly reactive, and any amount of residual grit in your case does not bode well at all... Soda seems like it would be OK from a grit standpoint since it's water soluble, but I don't know how it would react (it might not) with the magnesium.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR Okrasa uses a dow treatment for the gold coating and i heard that he uses a tumbler for the case.

i also read that he clean everything very good and when he thinks its ok, he reclean everything again (oil galleys)

the guy is building some nice stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Der6VoltFahrers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr Okrasa uses Alodine on his cases, it´s available in yellow an clear. When you use the yellow, you get that golden shiny finish Wink
It can be used on aluminium and magnesium, nice stuff.

http://www.galvanicapasquali.it/en/content/alodine-aluminum-1
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say the best look for a 36er would be soda blast the outside while the motor is still together and then polish the generator stand, that would look awesome!! polishing is bad as the heat doesnt desipate but just the stand would cool as you dont see the rest of the motor anyway...

the gold look kind of ugly to me...and it rub off after a few year anyway.

i have nos 36 block that has the original coating and its way darker than mr okrasa's coating, he is not very accurate with his tone.

if you really want original you have to go dark. no one is doing that really. ill post a picture later of the REAL gold color .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soda blasting the case only removes the grime and grease...it does not etch or clean the magnesium...to do that it needs to be cleaned with a glass powder then treated with the top secret gold coating...to look factory of course...removing oil plugs and using rifle brushes or something similar is the best way to ensure no garbage is left...

Joe has done my Okrasa ,my 36 hp , and my split case for my Binz...top notch guy with a very good attention to detail...sure I could have done the job myself but having a guy like Joe on your side is extremely helpful when you are in need...

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another system for cleaning them available now days, is "dry ice" blasting.
No residue.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
No residue.

Dry ice blasting will achieve the same kind of results as soda,walnut shell,or plastic....the difference is all of those are coast effective...where as dry ice is hardly something you will find cost effective for an engine case...maybe mold remediation.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
No residue.

Although there is no residue from the media, there is residue from what is blasted off. It needs to be cleaned up just like any other blasting. If there wasn't anything left over you wouldn't need to blast it, right?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Sunroof53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

I have used lots of things in the past and found Two pack paint thinner to be the most effective non destructive method.Wet blasting is good and gives a nice finish ,but i always finish of with soapy water either a pressure washer or dunk in a tank.One thing i would always do is pull the plugs in the case.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I used to work we had a CO2 blaster for the injection molds in the production area. It worked great on cases and heads, but you're right to say it not something that would be affordable for the hobbiest. I use soda also but that needs to be rinsed in hot water, I have a dishwasher for just that purpose. (Don't use the one in the house, the wife may get mad)
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use baking soda in a regular siphon type sand blaster? I want to do a case but I dont want to use glass. I have access to 80 grit "garnet" that we us in the water-jet at work, do you think it would be to coarse and damage any surfaces in the case?

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it in a small gravity feed/siphon gun with excellent results. I bought regular food grade baking soda at a food service supply store in 10 lb. bags. I was using it to blast some wire mesh air cleaners and did not want ANY chance of the media getting sucked into my engine. It worked fantasic!

Don't use garnet, or sand on your case. They are way too aggressive and could damage surfaces you don't even want to touch. Glass beads are about as aggressive as you want. gatorwyatt is a good resource. Look at his posts for info. And there are some pic of the blasting I did in my gallery.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: