Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clean engine case
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cru62...

Typically soda doesn't work in a syphon blaster because of how it falls...it needs a pressure vessel to push it out of the machine...with that said I have witnessed the same results in a small syphon blaster and it does work if you are using small equipment...it will be slow but does work...in the soda world there are actually different grit sizes and also blends.mixed with aluminum oxide but no need for wasting extra for that...there is also the alkalinity issue on your case...wash with water and soap...it is probably a different grit size in food grade soda versus blasting media but will be small rather than larger and will once again just be slow....

DO NOT use garnet or anything 80 grit on a case...think of the number in front of the media as grit in sandpaper ...the soda I use for boat bottoms and fire remediation is 260.... And the soda doesn't act like regular abrasive...it is going to shatter upon impact and refract...good for a very few things in the blasting world due to the cost / results...wire mesh air cleaners would be a great example of a good use....the metals can also be washed after with soda without rust flash...it doesn't etch the metal like an abrasive does.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Can you use baking soda in a regular siphon type sand blaster? I want to do a case but I dont want to use glass. I have access to 80 grit "garnet" that we us in the water-jet at work, do you think it would be to coarse and damage any surfaces in the case?

Casey

You will get alot of answers, but I personally would not use any grit to blast a case. The price you pay if you can't get it all out is too high... If you have ever sand or bead blasted anything, you know how that no matter how careful you mask, no matter how completely you think you blew it off with compressed air, sand just keeps falling out of every crevice, nook and cranny.

a buddy of mine tells a story of an engine he put together for a customer, who brought him a glass bead blasted case... they riffle bore brushed, hot tanked, blew it out with compressed air. Unfortunately it only lasted a short 2500 miles before it used oil and smoked, and the oil pressure went real low. He pulled it apart and after inspection said EVERY machined part was just worn out... crank journals, bearings, rings and barrels, ALL looked like the engine had 100k miles on them! The power of abrasives... ha!

Baking soda on the other hand, disolves in water, chemically dilutes and washes away. Sand or glass bead <or garnet from a water jet> packs up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outoftheoffice wrote:
Glad I found this thread. I'm also building a 36 horse and am considering cleaning the case while I have it torn down. Don't need to eat off it but don't want to spend all summer scrubbing either.

I am considering splitting the case then blasting it with walnut shells or some type of glass. Also planning on blasting the heads at the same time. Are there any holes in my plan?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey, thats my engine stand... Laughing
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the hijack, additionally, does anyone know how I can get rid of the really dark discolouration of my Solex carbs? The body looks oxidised or something..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956 Karmann Ghia 144 wrote:
Sorry for the hijack, additionally, does anyone know how I can get rid of the really dark discolouration of my Solex carbs? The body looks oxidised or something..

Glass beads...

wanted:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here`s one that I`ve been working on the last few days. It`s must be a factory replacement engine or something never had numbers stamped on it a first for me. All in all it`s in good shape very light ware in the mains and the cam bore all stock size with about .002 ths egg shape in the cam bore not bad at all. The engine had been paint blue at one time so it needed cleaned inside and out. Anyway old 80 grit glass bead is what I used more like a 100 grit now. The engine was grease free when I started and I tapped all the bearing surfaces with black tape blasted everything and then pulled the oil plugs for cleaning and shined up the bearings with steelwool. The crazy part was after pulling the plugs and looking in with a flashlight they were all very clean and grit free except for a half eaten corn kernel crazy mice. Also I may spray it with some chrome solution from are old chrome tank at work it will stain it the gold color. Here`s some pictures.

jon mccoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anybody used coal slag to blast their engine? any left over residue will just break down in the oil and wouldnt cause any damage.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.002 oval in the cam bore may be problematic. You likely will have variable valve lash.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did:

Took apart, used degreaser and water

Soda Blasted and washed with water

Pulled plugs and tapped (including for full flow)

Cleaned oil paths with gun cleaning brushes/patches

Threw case halves in dish washer (please note with stainless interior, if plastic you'll be divorced or buying a new one). Used the steam and sanitize cycle. It's amazing how much stuff comes out.

Machined case at RIMCO, then RIMCO steamed washed

Cleaned again with gun cleaning brushes/patches

High heat clear coat added to exterior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned these up for someone. They came up well.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent my -20- case to john 2day so will post pics on completion.
before

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
I cleaned these up for someone. They came up well.

What process/chemicals did you use?
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he rubs them with his sack. Shocked

(john'll get it)
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
sent my -20- case to john 2day so will post pics on completion.
before

hes done a little to it so far.

shows the corrosion on it, but hopefully can sort it out an get it running again
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...the above case posted by Dtrain was not shot with soda...if it was it was shot in a cabinet that contained soda that was used and showed little results during recycling and an abrasive was added...OR, it was a cabinet that was loaded with Armex brand media that is blended with aluminum oxide... I know this because I do this type work regularly and providing detailed terminology and results to customers and the outcome of blast work is what my company specializes in.

Second or third hand passing of info will cause lots of misinformation and I feel it needs to be put to rest...I will also say that the above case will have a very nice appearance once Alodine is applied.

This is my engine case for my 54' truck...I soda blasted this case at 120psi using a No.5 nozzle (5/16) and this was thoroughly cleaned...it has marbling and discoloration in the magnesium. Soda is 2.8 on the mohs scale of hardness therefore will not do any work or etch the magnesium and only clean it...when you shoot something higher like a 5 or 6 (glass beads or crushed glass)it has the capacity to clean,etch,deflash or peen the metal with an insignificant amount of metal removal.

With all of that said I will use a true potters brand spherical glass bead to finish my case then it will be cleaned and Alodined to achieve the desired restored look we all are searching for. I shot this case as a preliminary cleaning and to document this for all to see.

Also...for the guy wanting to use coal slag, don't waste your money or time.it will look like a bass boat!

wanted:
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished case! Thanks heaps john.

From what it started as its come up a treat. Needs a bit of work to get it running now.
As for the 2nd/3rd hand info, johns site is:
http://www.martinandking.com/Martinandking/Wet_Blasting.html
And I'm sure he should be happy to answer questions, I'm not sayin what or how it's done so noone gets the wrong info.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: tanked Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
some of the cleanest cases i have seen recently have been hot tanked and then soda blasted. the cases look NOS and the soda washes away with water.

A veteran VW guy said he was a little concerned about my planning a "hot tank treatment" for my backup 36 HP case. He seemed to be more concerned that it was a 36 and not a 1600, but I may not have that right. It's never been line bored. I have a local guy that will "tank" it for $25. I know Hazetguy knows his stuff, so what are the possible concerns about magnesium and a hot tank? I still consider myself to be a novice, so I know nothing. I want to hot tank it to be sure I'm getting it really clean. Also, I don't think this guy is going to 'soda blast' my block, so am I still good to go with the "tanking"? I'm not building a trailer queen. Very Happy Here's my case currently sprayed with 'Easy Off'... My brother brought his 1600 case to a local machine shop. They hot tanked it . Almost killed everyone in the building. Magnesium reacted to the acid and gave off deadly fumes. Melted the case too. I used a sonic cleaner on a carb.Worked good. It uses water .

3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late 70's we kept a fresh 55 gallon barrel of carb clean to dip them in. Let them soak in there for an hour or two, rinse with water and blow dry with compressed air.
jon mccoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d-train, is that case painted or just really clean? if its just really clean, how long is it gonna look like that inside your car?
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just really clean.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: