Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
will 72 super beetle doors fit on a 71 vw beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mabirec
Samba Member


Joined: March 29, 2010
Posts: 5
Location: baker, florida
mabirec is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: will 72 super beetle doors fit on a 71 vw beetle? Reply with quote

i am trying to make a volksrod and i have a rusted out 71 vw bug and a 72 super bug the super bug is in good condition but the 71 is rusted at the doors, can i take the super beetle doors and put them on the 71?

also can i take the super beetle's floor pans and put them in the 71 regular bug? thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
letthemusicflow
Samba Member


Joined: January 05, 2010
Posts: 1100
Location: NC
letthemusicflow is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but I think 68+ doors will fit. So yes.
_________________
74 Super Beetle w/1500SP - project.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
redrum71
Samba Member


Joined: August 07, 2006
Posts: 505
Location: No-wheresville KS
redrum71 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Every bug 68+ is the same from the door post back, I may be wrong, But i'm pretty sure you can swap them with no hassles
_________________
VW Logo 72 FAT chick Blue Bug
VW Logo 71 baywindow Red Bay Bus -
VW Logo 67 Baja Green Bug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member


Joined: February 07, 2001
Posts: 5407
Location: Auburn WA
vw_hank is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. 68 & up all fit, But 68-70 have the smaller indent behind the door handle so if you use those years you mite wont to change both doors.. I have 69's on my 72 super.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi


Joined: October 18, 2007
Posts: 4331
Location: Cité Soleil
19super73 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68+ doors fit, the only thing that changed was the arm rest in '73. If you had a '74 door and wanted it on a '70 but wanted to keep the '70 armrest, a little playing around would have to be done.
_________________
1970 Campmobile
1971 Doka
1973 Super Beetle
1975 La Grande Bug
1974 412 Variant
pb_foots wrote:
You think if he had a woman he would have half the stupid shit he's been doing? No way man. This is single guy stuff. A wife would have just laid into him until he left that thing in a supermarket parking lot and rode the dog home to get his beating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tele68
Samba Member


Joined: September 18, 2009
Posts: 388
Location: New Jersey
tele68 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true rod won't have armrests or inner door panels anyway??
_________________
'72 Super Beetle
Central Jersey Volkswagen Society
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member


Joined: February 07, 2001
Posts: 5407
Location: Auburn WA
vw_hank is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
68+ doors fit, the only thing that changed was the arm rest in '73. If you had a '74 door and wanted it on a '70 but wanted to keep the '70 armrest, a little playing around would have to be done.
Yes your right,, I have the 74 arm rest,, Laughing my cars A mutt! 72 super, 69 doors, 74 arm rest.. there not to hard to retro fit.. I like the 74+ arm rest!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member


Joined: February 02, 2010
Posts: 912
Location: Norway
allsidius is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the super is rustfree, why dont you rebuild that car. A 70s standard that is rusted out will never be a holy grail anyway. Good doors wont help, the rest of the car is probably just as bad. And you dont take pans out of a fresh car, you buy replacements. Its 40 years since the supers debuted, its about time to accept them as true beetles and the ultimate evolution of our favorite car.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeroman
Samba Member


Joined: February 05, 2010
Posts: 891
Location: Cane field
zeroman is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha.. yea.. I guess some don't consider em ..

yea.. the doors fit just fine. The hoods on 71-72 won't fit "real" supers but the back bits are all the same.


I am curious about these floor swap things people talk about.

How the heck do you get them out in one piece worth using? Probably be doable with the body off.. but having just replaced my pans.. I can't imagine trying to get them out in good condition.

The pans are so cheap.. and so repairable... one or the other seems much easier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neil Davies
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2005
Posts: 380
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK
Neil Davies is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:
Yes.. 68 & up all fit, But 68-70 have the smaller indent behind the door handle so if you use those years you mite wont to change both doors.. I have 69's on my 72 super.


Exterior door handle? AFAIK the outer skins are all the same from '68 up. The inner skins changed as said before to change the arm rest (late has plastic inserts to bolt the arm rest to, early has the rest bolted to the door card which hooks on the door.
_________________
'51 Split Beetle Cal Look project - sold!
'68/'70 Beetle, wife's mild Cal Look 'vert project - on the back burner
'67/'68 Beetle Cal Look daily driver - motor build progressing slowly
'70/'73 Beetle Cal Look caged drag race car - just started!
www.outlawflatfour.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member


Joined: February 07, 2001
Posts: 5407
Location: Auburn WA
vw_hank is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Davies wrote:
vw_hank wrote:
Yes.. 68 & up all fit, But 68-70 have the smaller indent behind the door handle so if you use those years you mite wont to change both doors.. I have 69's on my 72 super.


Exterior door handle? AFAIK the outer skins are all the same from '68 up. The inner skins changed as said before to change the arm rest (late has plastic inserts to bolt the arm rest to, early has the rest bolted to the door card which hooks on the door.
that is wrong, the outer door skin is not the same.. the door has A smaller indent behind the door handle on 1968-70
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68IHscout Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 10, 2010
Posts: 2426
Location: santa ana ca
68IHscout is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight ... 68+ doors will work now will door panels off a 71 standard swap with a 74sb and vise versa , or are the arm rest diferent ........I just don't get it but I'm getting there.!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Neil Davies
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2005
Posts: 380
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK
Neil Davies is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:
Neil Davies wrote:
vw_hank wrote:
Yes.. 68 & up all fit, But 68-70 have the smaller indent behind the door handle so if you use those years you mite wont to change both doors.. I have 69's on my 72 super.


Exterior door handle? AFAIK the outer skins are all the same from '68 up. The inner skins changed as said before to change the arm rest (late has plastic inserts to bolt the arm rest to, early has the rest bolted to the door card which hooks on the door.
that is wrong, the outer door skin is not the same.. the door has A smaller indent behind the door handle on 1968-70


I stand corrected! Laughing It must be a very small difference, not like the change from '67 to '68, which is huge! After 15 years of pretty much immersing myself in everything VW, I'm still learning!
_________________
'51 Split Beetle Cal Look project - sold!
'68/'70 Beetle, wife's mild Cal Look 'vert project - on the back burner
'67/'68 Beetle Cal Look daily driver - motor build progressing slowly
'70/'73 Beetle Cal Look caged drag race car - just started!
www.outlawflatfour.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member


Joined: February 07, 2001
Posts: 5407
Location: Auburn WA
vw_hank is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
Let me get this straight ... 68+ doors will work now will door panels off a 71 standard swap with a 74sb and vise versa , or are the arm rest diferent ........I just don't get it but I'm getting there.!
68 and up are the same, most of the aftermarket ones are universal and well fit 65 & up. but the arm rest are different, thy changed in 74. I got them to work in my 72,, i just modified the mount A little..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2013, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB