Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front wheel gap
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Front wheel gap Reply with quote

I just put lowered spindles and discs on my 70 std. They work perfectly except that the drivers front wheel seems to be an inch or two forward from the passenger side. The passenger side fits the wheel well perfectly with roughly an inch gap all the way around but the drivers side looks like it is shifted forward a little. The car has 0 accident damage showing on the front side but the axle beam and fenders are aftermarket parts. What do you think it could be? Could I have messed anything up in the install? I'll go shoot some pics so you know what I'm talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you removed the front beam as well? Is it seated properly into the frame head?

The pics kinda show the fenders to be a little off but try this....measure from the center front wheel cap to the center of the rear wheel. Do both sides have the same wheel to wheel distance? Try measuring other front wheel inner components from other fixed points and compare left to right.

If the placement of the wheels are "square" on the car from these sample measurements, its gotta be those fenders.
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I did this weekend was put on new spindles with discs. The beam was replaced about 10 years ago but I didn't ever notice the wheels being different. I could of over looked it though since there was about 6 inches of fender gap before. I'll measure like you said and see what's up.
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the distance between the drivers side front wheel and the rear is a 1/2" more than the passenger side. I inspected the beam and its all snug against the pan on both sides. Is there anyway to fix this 1/2" difference?
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1/2 inch isnt too shabby and could account for the rear spring plate to diagonal arm adjustability and/or the front camber adjusters. A four wheel alignment is the best way to square up all the wheels.

But from the pics, I do think that you'll need more than that to set that front left square in the fender.

Check this also......is one of your upper front camber adjusters full forward and the other full aft? Did you measure the fender opening?
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to adjust the camber. I know that when I installed the spindles I didn't really pay attention to the drivers side camber adjuster and just through it in but on the passenger side I put it back in exactly how it came out. Could the camber adjuster cause that much difference? I measured from the center of the cap forward to the fender and the drivers side has an 1 1/2" less than the passenger side.
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else have any ideas?
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be mis-matched front fenders [different manufacturers].

-jeffrey
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came from the same place and were painted and stickered the same. Anyway way of Measuring them?
Islandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off the drivers fender and hold the outer edge up to the right fender. Get someone to help and follow the outer shape/contour of both.

Are they a match?

Also look closely at the inside of the spindles. In relation to the upper and lower ball joint mount holes and the axels, are they identical left and right. Probably are but stranger things have happened and worth a check.

If your able to, turn your steering wheel all the way left and right and post some close up pics of the front suspension so we can all take a "better" look.
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a level area, jack car up on all 4 corners and ensure care is level on axle/jack stands as high as is safe to go. Drop a plumb line from the 2 lower frame head mounting bolts and the same from the bottom shock mountings.
At the rear drop from rear shock mtgs and the rear frame Y ends. mark on ground where plumbline hits.Now measure length and the diagonals, they should be the same both sides, if not this will give a fair idea of where the frame is out of line
Prior to body jigs/ crash benches etc this is how it was done
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all is ok but only wheel centres out side to side could be bent spindle or trailing arm....
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: