Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

Hey all,

So we leave for Baja on Saturday for 10 days, OK 9 days. This is the first trip in Molly down there and in the past I have gotten insurance through Baja Bound for my new cars (2000s). I find out the other day that if I bring the van I can only get liability, but nothing that will cover damage to or loss of the van. This is because the van is more than XX years old (they said either 15 or 20).

I know many of you have been down there, even as recently as a few months ago, so what do you do for full coverage?

Maybe even full coverage is a waste seeing the trouble folks go through here in the US on the true value of the vans when something happens (damage or theft).

Thanks, and photos will be put up when we return.

Scott
Westy-Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were down there we came across the same thing. No damage or theft.

Have fun and post photos!

Cheers!
Dave
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple A member? Check their Mexie Insurance policy, don't know about the age thing.

On another note, ya think going into Mexico right now is a safe thing?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove in Baja mostly with AAA coverage.
Though you may want to check with them for current policy.. I have not been in many yrs and things may have changed.

20 yrs ago, I did many north Baja trips with Mexican tourist insurance.

I'd check with AAA or your current carrier to see what they can do.

I never carried more than liability.. When traveling in Baja my attitude is that if it goes to hell, you leave it all behind and take the bus/plane/taxi home.

I carried insurance to avoid the Mexican court systems where they are allowed to hold you until trial in the event of an uninsured accident, regardless the liability.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used these guys for the car and aircraft services. Cheap and easy. Mexican insurance is a bit of a racket, don't have it and you can be in big trouble. Need it for anything, it is utterly worthless.

http://www.mexicard.com/

Mexico, or anyplace for that matter, is never safe, nor unsafe. Fate can hunt you down anywhere. You can make your own bad luck if you try just a little. Least everybody forgets, we have our own share of gangsters up here in the good ol' USA as well. Ever notice, our police always seem to show up after the fact here as well?
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
Triple A member? Check their Mexie Insurance policy, don't know about the age thing.

On another note, ya think going into Mexico right now is a safe thing?

No, I'm not AAA unfortunately.

If I wait til there's no crime, I'll never go. We've passed on going back for 3 years, I'm done with waiting. We drove South Africa in a car by ourselves for 3 weeks last June. Turns out their murder rate is second in the world only to Colombia. Mexico is like 8th.

So is it safe? It's safe enough for me.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:

So is it safe? It's safe enough for me.

word.

An old friend of mine lives in Pescadero, north of Cabo..
Travels the length of the peninsual a couple times a yr.. Has been doing so for near 20 yrs.

We used to travel together. He decided to go back and stay.. the bastard.

Anyway.. he says.. "no worse.. no better".. but that Cabo sees more crime now than it did 20 yrs ago. To be expected with the growth in tourism money arund the enitre cape.

He says the extreme stuff is mostly in the border towns, but that is targeted. And the targets are not tourists. The 800-900 miles between the tips is as safe/unsafe now as it has been for decades.

Have a great trip!.. Hoping to go back soon.. Maybe a yr or two.
Been WAY too long.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Lewis and Lewis.

www.mexicanautoinsurance.com
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:
Hey all,

So we leave for Baja on Saturday for 10 days, OK 9 days. This is the first trip in Molly down there and in the past I have gotten insurance through Baja Bound for my new cars (2000s). I find out the other day that if I bring the van I can only get liability, but nothing that will cover damage to or loss of the van. This is because the van is more than XX years old (they said either 15 or 20).

I know many of you have been down there, even as recently as a few months ago, so what do you do for full coverage?

Maybe even full coverage is a waste seeing the trouble folks go through here in the US on the true value of the vans when something happens (damage or theft).

Thanks, and photos will be put up when we return.

Scott

That was posted on the Vanagon Yahoo group:

Fwd: HIJACKED!!!!
Folks, I am forwarding you all this message because you all need to know about this. Jack & Michele are friends we met in Mexico last year.

I have no details other than that.

If they go after Vanagons they must get pretty desperate there Crying or Very sad

Naturally I assume they were not hijacked in Malibu or in the suburbs Rolling Eyes

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

The incident was in mainland Mexico, near the east Texas coast.

Mark

VisPacem wrote:

That was posted on the Vanagon Yahoo group:

Fwd: HIJACKED!!!!
Folks, I am forwarding you all this message because you all need to know about this. Jack & Michele are friends we met in Mexico last year.

I have no details other than that.

If they go after Vanagons they must get pretty desperate there Crying or Very sad

Naturally I assume they were not hijacked in Malibu or in the suburbs Rolling Eyes

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

I'd also recommend checking with AAA insurance options and also travel info.

Within the last week three Canadian couples have been stopped at bandito road blocks and had their vehicles and money stolen. Last I heard two couple relocated their westies but haven't heard what condition they're in. But this all has occured over on the mainland.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage going and in fact wish I was going with you. But some very experienced Baja traveling people have listed the following points to improve odds:

> when you clear the border try to put at least 200-300 miles behind you before stopping anywhere (the US has issued a travel warning for almost all northern Mexican provinces).
> camp with groups and not solo if possible.
> stay away from and out of site of the main roads when camping.
> if possible, travel in groups ala caravan.

Unfortunately the drug wars have spilled over into an accelerating decline of law and order in the northern areas - some believe it's heading toward a civil war. Drop in tourist revenue has induced some to bolder illegal activity.

I realize this all sounds like cry-wolf stuff to many but you can travel for decades thru war-torn countries and never have anything happen, return to post life is a bowl of cherries. But it only takes one time and -- the deceased don't post.

As for DogPilot's comment about the US, one big difference here is we can carry defensive weaponry and also most of us know where most bad spots are and none of us are routinely being stopped here by military roadblocks. In Mexico carrying a firearm can technically result in ten years in prison.

So go and enjoy but don't travel with illusions about what's really happening down there. Be safe, take precautions.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

The 2 vehicles taken and recovered were described by the owners as "trucks and trailers", not Westies.

Mark

WestyBob wrote:

Within the last week three Canadian couples have been stopped at bandito road blocks and had their vehicles and money stolen. Last I heard two couple relocated their westies but haven't heard what condition they're in. But this all has occured over on the mainland.

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The 2 vehicles taken and recovered were described by the owners as "trucks and trailers", not Westies.

Mark

I'm acquainted with the people. Two couples were in a westy and a truck with trailer respectively, and were stopped together. A third couple at another location the same day were in a westy. I haven't heard if this third couple has had their westy recovered yet.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance in Mexico, specifically Baja Reply with quote

The email I have from them says "trucks and trailers", in their own words. I don't know them.

Mark

WestyBob wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

I'm acquainted with the people. Two couples were in a westy and a truck with trailer respectively, and were stopped together. A third couple at another location the same day were in a westy. I haven't heard if this third couple has had their westy recovered yet.
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP says he's going to Baja. Isn't that a slightly different beast than the mainland?

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZimZam wrote:
The OP says he's going to Baja. Isn't that a slightly different beast than the mainland?

See my original post, second paragraph, mention of the mainland.

The 'beast' also includes northern Baja.
PaulGinAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have travelled to Mexico on a couple of occasions crossing here in Arizona. I have always been able to buy full-coverage at the border which I understand is the most expensive way to purchase it... but the last time I did it I drove over our 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L and insuring it for $35k in total value was less than $20/day.
-2014 Silverado 1500 High Country
-2010 BMW X5 3.0 Sport (wifes)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand there are only 2 main insurance carriers that underwrite such insurance. There are many agents that sell it, just like here in the US. So you really only have 2 choices for coverage. For the example of the OP, Bajabound is the general agent and they have agents that can help you with it. These agents are both inside and outside. No matter who you go through it is all about the same.

For my own understanding I have a call into Baja Bound to find out the underwriting guidelines and coverages beyond what I can access via the agent website.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used several companies in the past, but found reasonable rates and decent coverage from Baja Bound. Do read the small print. While it is true, all of the policies are underwritten by only a few large companies, the offerings from various re-sellers do vary. I personally looked for one that had decent medical coverage and medical-evac coverage. Me any mine are worth more than the van.

I always get the liability policy and cross my fingers. Pretty much figure that if you total your van in Mex, you're gonna' just have to write it off. If it is at all driveable/towable, drag it back home to the states and have an 'accident' here. (Not that I'm advocating insurance fraud or anything Shocked ) At least the liability policy will keep you out of jail...

There is going to be some inherent risk involved whenever you travel, but the rewards are far greater.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
I've used several companies in the past, but found reasonable rates and decent coverage from Baja Bound. Do read the small print. While it is true, all of the policies are underwritten by only a few large companies, the offerings from various re-sellers do vary. I personally looked for one that had decent medical coverage and medical-evac coverage. Me any mine are worth more than the van.

If the policy offered does not have the coverages you want, ASK and maybe they have something or can do something for you.

FYI: Some US carriers do have some limited Mexico coverage as part of their policy. You have to ask your agent and get them to send you the policy language. Most do know know to begin with, so getting the policy language is your best bet. Unless, you have a copy of your policy to read.

I like Bajabound and have been with them for a few years now. Besides they are local here in San Diego, as I like to keep my underwriters or wholesalers close (at least in my time zone!)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: