Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build Thread: Subaru 5 speed Transmission into Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
tschroeder0 wrote:
I am thinking about this but remain confused about cost and which transmission is the "correct" one to use?
On the subagears website they have the rear drive conversion kit. Is this all that is needed to convert the trans and then bolt it up?

As far as the transmission, I am guessing there are several years that can work with a given engine, I have a 99 2.2 so...
Thanks

The Subarugears rear drive conversion kit includes everything needed to convert the Subaru transaxle to rear engine, rear drive format. To bolt it into a Vanagon, my 5MT installation kit is needed.

Technically, any 5 speed AWD transmission from the 1990 Legacy forward can be used. But these transmissions are plentiful and inexpensive and I would recommend getting the newest and lowest mileage one possible. At the very least, try to get a Phase II (8 bolt bellhouse) from a 1999 or newer car.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the 5MT conversion.

David

Two questions:
1. Will the shifter kit work on 2wd and a syncro? or will there be different kits for each type of van?
2. Do you have a ball park figure of the price for the shifter kit?
3. You guys are doing a fantastic job Applause
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dclymer-
Thanks for the info. Still trying to get a handle on the complete cost.
What is the cost of the install kit?
Thanks again for all the hard work to make this happen.
Todd
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dclymer-
Todd
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5MT Installation Kit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 5MT installation kit includes everything necessary to install the Subaru 5MT transmission into a Vanagon. This package not only includes the conversion transmission mount and shortened transmission tail housing, but also the complete shifter/shift linkage assembly as well as a special slave cylinder assembly. All of these parts were necessary in order to achieve factory-like levels of refinement and functionality.

These kits are still largely hand-made at this point so supply is limited, but I'm really excited to be able to get these out to people who are as excited as I am about making a 5MT Vanagon a reality.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

Two questions:
1. Will the shifter kit work on 2wd and a syncro? or will there be different kits for each type of van?
2. Do you have a ball park figure of the price for the shifter kit?
3. You guys are doing a fantastic job Applause

1. The Syncro version of this kit will use the same shifter setup. It will need a different transmission mount design, but the actual shifter/shift linkage assembly will be the same.

2. I'd rather talk about pricing in a PM so I can honor the forum rules about vending.

3. Thanks. This has definitely been a lot of work, but I'm very committed to helping this conversion become a reality for Subaru-Vanagon owners.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
Dclymer-
Todd

Hi Todd,

Shoot me a PM when you have a minute, and I'll be glad to talk with you about the complete cost of the conversion.

D
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
The 5MT Installation Kit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 5MT installation kit includes everything necessary to install the Subaru 5MT transmission into a Vanagon. This package not only includes the conversion transmission mount and shortened transmission tail housing, but also the complete shifter/shift linkage assembly as well as a special slave cylinder assembly. All of these parts were necessary in order to achieve factory-like levels of refinement and functionality.

These kits are still largely hand-made at this point so supply is limited, but I'm really excited to be able to get these out to people who are as excited as I am about making a 5MT Vanagon a reality.

David

EXCELLENT!

I know you must have a ton of hours in every one of these parts pictured, It is nice to see you be able to get something back from it.

Do you have plans to build a Syncro Subaru 5 speed your self?

Andrew-
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM! How good are David's kits ??!!
Well done, this is the complete package.

If anyone is keen to combine one of these kits with a very affordable 5MT Subarugears complete reversed transmission, we are having a Facebook sale on remanufactured transmissions now.

Please see the post at www.facebook.com/subarugears or drop en email to [email protected]
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent PM.

Fantastic work - I was wondering how this was working with the stock shifter box and rod. Now I get it.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
2. I'd rather talk about pricing in a PM so I can honor the forum rules about vending.

Why not just put an ad in the Classified section, as does Terrawagen with their fender flares? The price will get out eventually. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
D Clymer wrote:

Why not just put an ad in the Classified section, as does Terrawagen with their fender flares? The price will get out eventually. Wink

And place a link to the ad in your signature too. I want you to be successful so more cool options come to fruition. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
D Clymer wrote:

A good suggestion, as usual, Jake. I'm actually not ready to try to promote sales of my kit since my supply is limited at the moment. Once I get to the next stage where I am having CAD modeled parts manufactured, then, yes, an ad to sell in bigger volume would be ideal. But for the moment, I just want to satisfy the established demand - and take care of those who have been waiting for me to have this available.

D
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

EXCELLENT!

I know you must have a ton of hours in every one of these parts pictured, It is nice to see you be able to get something back from it.

Do you have plans to build a Syncro Subaru 5 speed your self?

Andrew-

Hi Andrew,

Thanks! Yes, even though my prototype parts were pretty much right on the money, it's been an eye opener to me how many detail changes and production solutions had to be worked out. And there were still little tasks like the shifter gate and the slave cylinder that had to be finalized - and those were strictly trial and error propositions.

I do plan to build a Syncro Subaru 5 speed van, and the mock-up of that should be just around the corner. I need to check with Todd at Subarugears and see how he's doing with the output housing cover and shaft. Like your current project, it will be built using a factory Syncro van. It will be an EJ25 turning a close-ratio non-turbo gearbox with a 4.86:1 final drive. It will retain the stock front differential with a solid shaft in place of the viscous coupling.

Looking forward to seeing your latest progress on the 1.8T Syncro.

David
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Denis would have told me that we need short drive axle for the Subaru transmission this vid would be one on the road... ha ha ha

First start of a long long long long crazy restoration project...

Link

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
If Denis would have told me that we need short drive axle for the Subaru transmission this vid would be one on the road... ha ha ha

First start of a long long long long crazy restoration project...

Ben

Yes, that important information if buried somewhere way back in this thread. The distance between output flanges is greater with the Subaru transmission than with the 091/1, so two driver's side automatic (short) axles must be used for this conversion.

It's great to see that you are so close to having it up and running. I can't wait to hear how the 5MT transmission works out.

David
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:

Yes, that important information if buried somewhere way back in this thread.

David

I talked my wife into bringing two back from the UK with her, quite a long time ago now! Cool
'84 T3 Kombi (Vanagon) 2.5 DOHC Subaru
'72 1200 (Economy) Beetle
JonnyPhenomenon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can put me down for one of these vanagon installation kits too. Any idea on the price? - or did I miss something in the 30 pages or so of this thread?
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyPhenomenon wrote:
you can put me down for one of these vanagon installation kits too. Any idea on the price? - or did I miss something in the 30 pages or so of this thread?

Read page 31, the answers are there. Shocked Razz Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Portiesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Have just joined the forum after finding your thread today. Has taken hours to read through all 31 pages!! I have 2 1991 syncro vans and a 1991 Auto DOKA. 1van I have converted to a 2005 forester EJ25 and have fitted a drive shaft decoupled, and the other is a parts car for a planned syncro conversion of the DOKA.
I have been contemplating a change to a subi transmission after finding the subagear a site about a year ago! but have held off because of the necessary changes to the shifter linkage.
Will you be able to supply just those parts to me here in AUstralia?
excellent work on the development of this conversion. Would have taken me a long time to solve all the problems you have along the way.
Cheers
Ian
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, or really anyone in the know, is there a subaru MT that would be suitable to mate up to the SVX engine????
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 35

Jump to: