Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build Thread: Subaru 5 speed Transmission into Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanaConn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: svx engine to subie 5 speed trans bolt up Reply with quote

JoshG wrote:
David, or really anyone in the know, is there a subaru MT that would be suitable to mate up to the SVX engine????
I am not the expert but I am fairly certain all the Subaru 5 speeds bolt right up to the svx engine and handle the power. Find a low mileage unit like I did from a JDM wrx engine import.Guy didn't want the trans that came with 50k engine. It's a ty754 and I paid $400.You can obviously buy a JDM 5 speed yourself. Subarugears uses them.
See Subarugears website for the versions that work best for converting. I think you will have a great combination and get better MPG with the subie 5 speed. Subarugears also sells heavy duty turbo gear sets and completed turbo gear set transmissions They feature some subie 6 cylinder conversions on their site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshG wrote:
David, or really anyone in the know, is there a subaru MT that would be suitable to mate up to the SVX engine????

Yes, any of the 5MTs would be suitable for the SVX engine. The transmissions that were meant for turbo cars have wider gear ratio spacings and the non-turbo transmissions have close ratio gears. It all comes down to preference. I tend to like close-ratio transmissions, but with the torque of an SVX engine a wide-ratio turbo box would work well too. I would choose a 4.11:1 final drive ratio bolted to an OBX torque biasing differential.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that three of the 5MT installation kits I have sold are being used for SVX engined vans/trucks, so there will be several of SVX/5MT vehicles running around in the not too distant future.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevensjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading this thread and am amazed! I am currently looking into a 82 Sinka that has a diesel engine in it. I know nothing about VW diesel engines so first thought was a Subaru transplant as I was a Subaru Tech for years. I was looking for a better gearing option as well and found this so am super happy. I also considering trying a performance air-cooled engine because I love VWs, especially air-cooled as that is how I started into them. I have a couple questions about the kit offered. Where can they be purchased and will the Subaru transmission connect to a air-cooled Vanagon engine?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensjames wrote:
I just finished reading this thread and am amazed! I am currently looking into a 82 Sinka that has a diesel engine in it. I know nothing about VW diesel engines so first thought was a Subaru transplant as I was a Subaru Tech for years. I was looking for a better gearing option as well and found this so am super happy. I also considering trying a performance air-cooled engine because I love VWs, especially air-cooled as that is how I started into them. I have a couple questions about the kit offered. Where can they be purchased and will the Subaru transmission connect to a air-cooled Vanagon engine?

Send me a PM regarding the availability of the installation kit.

A Subaru transplant into that Sinka would be a great choice. The Subaru 5MT transmission would be a natural choice for that.

Actually, there is an adaptor plate and flywheel that will be available soon from Subarugears that bolts a VW Type 1 or Type 4/Wasserboxer to the Subaru 5MT. With all that vertical space in a Sinka, you would have room to mount a built Type 1 based engine with the latest 911 style cooling fan fitted, but the Subaru engine would probably still be the better choice.

Dave
stevensjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave. I supposed to check out the Sinka this weekend and will know more soon. Once I have everything ready I will pm you for information on kit. I also appreciate your information on the possible engine swap choices. Having no clue what these are all about I have a lot of learning to figure out best route. No matter of engine choice I definitely feel the Subaru transmission is best option after reading through the forums about the gearing of the stock trans. I am also familiar with the Subaru transmissions and are very tough and dependable so feel is better option than having the stock one rebuilt with better gearing like the freeway flyers for early VWs. I appreciate everything and will contact you as soon as I get to the stage I need the conversion kit.
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: 5 speed w/4.1 FD Reply with quote

I have been dreaming of driving a 5speed van.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed w/4.1 FD Reply with quote

wtcumby wrote:
I have been dreaming of driving a 5speed van.

I don't blame you Bill. With the engine/transmission conversion you have taking shape, I'd be dreaming about driving it too.

You'll have to share some photos and details of your build-up on here as it gets further along.

Dave
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 3.6 mated with the 5 speed?

I would like to see that.
It will light a fire under my H6/5speed projects Wink
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the factory only auto. But the manual will bolt right up and take the power easily. Would be awesome.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subarugears wrote:
From the factory only auto. But the manual will bolt right up and take the power easily. Would be awesome.

Yes Sir.
I have the 3.6 mated to a Syncro trans via an RJES.
How sweet it is.
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the video of it spinning both the rear wheels?
Video or it didn't happen.... Smile
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Subagears Reply with quote

For those thinking about this route please consider this bit of advice. If you do not plan on sawing your own transmission case in half and setting/shimming your final drive gears BUY THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION FROM SUBAGEARS and save yourself a humongous headache.

The shipping is a huge bill to swallow but it is worth it.
neadspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when will we be able get avalibility of these kits
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neadspeed wrote:
when will we be able get avalibility of these kits

http://forums.nasioc.com/
Matticeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking to see if those shift kits are available. It seems to be the final piece to the puzzle.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagears Reply with quote

wtcumby wrote:
For those thinking about this route please consider this bit of advice. If you do not plan on sawing your own transmission case in half and setting/shimming your final drive gears BUY THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION FROM SUBAGEARS and save yourself a humongous headache.

Todd has set up a shop in the US. He also has a trans builder.

Just gets better and better!

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagears Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
wtcumby wrote:

Todd has set up a shop in the US. He also has a trans builder.

Just gets better and better!

Jeff

Tell us more?! Droool.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subarugearsusa.com

That is the retail store.

For there tranny guy they have Chris form Subiworks, a very well known and respected shop in the Subaru world.

Chris is putting my trans together as we speak. I'll start a thread when I get it back. He is taking pics as he goes. He even has a jig to mching the case instead of clearancing it by hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matticeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Dave the only one that manufactures the shift linkage and is one available? The kit looks amazing. Are there other solutions out there? I've got my SVX engine/harness dialed and my subagears 5MT with OBX/ stage 2 clutch, just need the shift linkage. This is gonna be so much fun! I'll post a build thread when finished. Any help on this greatly appreciated! I'm in a holding pattern. Thanks Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 35

Jump to: