Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Water tank/pump problems
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

My water tank pump is no longer working, as well as my tank level/battery level indicator below the stove, so probably a connected issue. While trying to troubleshoot the problem, I noticed this yellowish connector (marked "HSU 250 V 15 A) that looks like it has a small burn mark. It looks to me to be some type of fuse, but I've never seen one before.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The problem started last winter when my tank froze over and I tried using my faucet. I could hear the pump working, but then it stopped... do'h! I haven't had time to mess with it until now. My Westy started out as a 7-passenger Syncro and was converted to a Westy and some of the normal stuff isn't there, such as the little fuse box behind the driver's seat, which would normally contain the fuse for the faucet/pump. It's not under the driver's seat either.

Prior to the pump stopping, it was intermittent anyway... I could put my hand down by the connections by the tank and "jiggle" the wires and it would work again for a few weeks, then repeat. I'm just starting to figure out my multi meter, and I know I should be checking the power to see where it stops, but that HSU thingy looks very suspicious and it might be worth replacing first. I've been searching the forums to see if anyone had identified the "HSU" thing, but I've only seen somebody else ask with no answer. Any ideas? Here's a shot of the rest of the wiring.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

That HSU thing is merely a complicated 1/4" double spade connector. It's a PITA to reconnect - I just cut them out and crimp some new decent 1/4" spade connectors on instead.

You got a fuse gone somewhere - and also probably a dodgy connector to the faucet.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

Another issue I'll mention about the submersible pumps is that they may lock up and not run 0 but can be freed by just flipping the impeller to get them unstuck. Maybe you have to undo something to poke the impeller (been so long I do not recall).
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

Do you have a small fuse block on the B Pillar behind the drivers seat? Check those.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
Here's a shot of the rest of the wiring.

Out of that loom, yellow should go to blue (power), and black should go to brown (ground).

Here's a photo showing the factory connections:

Timwhy wrote:

The yellow and black go to the faucet switch to turn on the pump. The other wires are for the LED panel showing water level.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

Bingo! Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I tried all of your suggestions and double checked the wiring on the faucet. I have checked to make sure the pump works by running a separate pair of wires directly from my Blue Sea fuse box to the two pump wires and it works just fine. The problem is that the normal wires in the back cabinet are not getting power. I have checked everything I can, including every fuse in the van, but to no avail. Since the camper section was installed after the fact by a previous owner, he failed to install any fuses, or at least any I can find. Normally, of course, there would be the small fuse box (2 fuses) on the B-Pillar behind the drivers seat, but it's not there, or under the driver's seat. Short of removing the cabinets to look for a fuse or broken/burnt wire, I'm giving up on using the standard wiring. I would lose the functionality of the LED water level/battery gauge under the stove, but I'm not sure I care. I hardly ever used it anyway.

So here's my plan/thinking... I originally was thinking, since I can just run a pair of wires to the pump to make it work, I could do that and put a switch inline for an on/off solution. It would already be fused since it's coming from the fuse box (installed in the cabinet under the sink). But on further thought, I would lose the variable flow rate that I have become accustomed to and really like by using the built in ShurFlo faucet switch. Isn't the ShurFlo basically a switch with a rheostat to regulate flow? So now the question is, how do I properly wire the ShurFlo using power from the fuse box back to the pump? I thought I'd just do some trial and error in the morning, but maybe you guys have a good answer without me burning something up!

My initial thought is to run a hot lead from the fuse box to one of the two faucet leads. Then run a single wire from the second faucet lead back to the positive lead on the pump, then ground the second lead on the pump. Does this make sense? Or, do I run both positive and negative to the faucet and piggyback on those back to the pump? I've included a couple of wiring ideas I have below, but any suggestions from more experienced electrical folk is greatly appreciated!

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

No to diagram 2, that will blow the fuse and/or hurt something.

There is just an on/off switch in the Shurflo faucet, the flow varies as you keep turning the knob because you are opening the valve wider.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
No to diagram 2, that will blow the fuse and/or hurt something.

There is just an on/off switch in the Shurflo faucet, the flow varies as you keep turning the knob because you are opening the valve wider.

OK, I didn't realize that's how it works. I guess the end result is the same with variable flow. Thanks for the heads up on diagram 2. Did diagram 1 look doable?
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems - SOLVED, mostly Reply with quote

I thought anyone following this thread would like to know I finally figured it out. I just added a hot lead from my Blue Sea fuse box to one of the faucet leads using a T-Tap connector. The faucet was still connected to the factory wires, so I guess I just injected power back into the system. The battery level indicator lights now work, too! I tried grounding it on the other faucet lead, but it just blew fuses, so it must be grounded elsewhere... I'm assuming. Anyway, everything works except for the tank level indicator lights. I can live with that! Thanks again for your help.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

IIRC, the faucet pump will not work if the indicators aren't functioning. Safety feature for a low tank.. dry pump. Either your board is fried or the level sensors have a short\fault.

J
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
IIRC, the faucet pump will not work if the indicators aren't functioning. Safety feature for a low tank.. dry pump. Either your board is fried or the level sensors have a short\fault.

I do not think this is accurate. I can turn the pump on when the tank is empty no problem. To the OP, please make sure however you "injected power" it is fused so you have protection in case something shorts out.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
jberger wrote:

I do not think this is accurate. I can turn the pump on when the tank is empty no problem. To the OP, please make sure however you "injected power" it is fused so you have protection in case something shorts out.

Perhaps that's the way it is supposed to work, but my pump always worked regardless of water level. And yes, the power is fused coming out of my Blue Sea fuse block. Thanks!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Water tank/pump problems Reply with quote

The 80/81 Westy led panel would disable the pump if it didn't think water was in the tank.
This panel could be swapped in to any year van of course.
With the face plate off look at the circuit board. If there is a nickle size silver part then it is such a panel. Easy to bypass that feature.

This panel had 2 red LEDs at the bottom of the water level indicators. The

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: