Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gabriel Hijacker Shocks in Rear
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much lift can be had from these?

is there a height difference at 0PSI,50PSI,100PSI,150PSI?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"restores ride hieght"
"provides up to 1100lbs carrying capacity"

Gabriel and Monroe advertises exactly what TK is saying you should not do.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were designed as a towing assist, back in the late 50's / early 60's.
They were called overload shocks.

It all depends on how much your going to carry, and how much air your going to be blowing in them.

The orginal idea was to suppliment the springs capacity--not take the place of them.

Air bags for this job are a better idea.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

The orginal idea was to suppliment the springs capacity--not take the place of them..

Shades of gray.

Here's the link..
Just so the agrument does not have to play out again.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351169&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
The biggest bonus with the Gabriel air shock is the air chamber is separate from the shock unit.

Oooh, I see. So it's basically like a built-in air bag. Cool!

Still interested in ride reports/comparisons... Very Happy

but the "bag" inside the shock is only acting on a few square inches of the shock tube.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
mikls63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! My van tends to sag a bit, but nothing to worry about. Ive used air shocks in my bugs in the past and when all loaded down with the family, roof rack and pick-nick stuff, pump them up a bit till you aren't rubbing the fenders any more! lol Works great most cars-vans-trucks. I'd get them again for the van this time, camping season is getting here soon!

The ride is about the same when pumped up while loaded and unloaded, Ill let the air out and bring it down to stock ride height. But that's bug talk! Should be about the same for the Vanagons, its the same principle.
13' Passat S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TK. As my coils are fine, I am running 16" wheels and this small boost also helps tire clearance. But I wouldn't pressurize them much higher than 100psi as I also worry about the shock mounts handling that much stress.

In order to extend the shocks, initial pressure upon installation should be at 15psi. At 30-35psi (min. recommended operating pressure) I would say the ride height is unchanged from stock. At 45-50psi the height is just leveled off anything higher is your own operational preference. Mine are at 60psi putting height at 30.5" to the lip of the wheel well with a slight rake, which I like.

Also, as you can see I am not sporting a rack with kayaks or towing anything. Just looking to replace the shocks, ride handling and level off the rear with the occasional heavy load of camping gear, without resorting to the "cutting board" quick fix.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a set of Gabriels, Ultras I think, on one of my buses a couple of years ago. They were a huge improvement over the shot KYBs. Also from Autozone, lifetime warranty, and inexpensive.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Oooh, I see. So it's basically like a built-in air bag. Cool!>>
<<but the "bag" inside the shock is only acting on a few square inches of the shock tube.>>

The air chamber is pretty good size considering the size of the shock.

But yea--the Gabriel Air Shock is an air bag & a separate shock unit all in one package--

It's a better shock than the AC delco & Monroe where the air bags are exposed, & the shock & the air bag are kinda in one piece.
As the shock goes up, the ride gets harder.

The only caveat is be sure not to treat the shocks a Mack Truck spring.

It offer's very little in supporting big sprung weight.

I mean they level you out with a trailer on the back end OK.
But don't think you've got a new HD set of adjustable springs back there
You'll snap that top shock bolt off like a bolt cutter's cut them.

I've got a brand new pair here in a box--20 minutes old.

The shock rod is bent when the top shock mount snapped, and the shock bounced off of the pavment a little at 70 mph.
Junk.

I was a little heavy in the ass end.

Just a little warning to the group.
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I had a friend who re-welded his mounts twice on his Camaro drag car after using air-pressurized shocks. But there are some considerable differences in force with our application.

Overall, I am pleased with these shocks, but if you decide to go with this setup make sure you do the following:

1) Regardless of your load, replace/upgrade your shock mounting bolts with new high grade, high tensile bolts. Always a good idea when replacing anything.

2) Ensure your air supply lines are protected from the elements and heat from engine/muffler. I have since sleeved them in left over rubber hose just to be sure they don't melt since they are only 4" away from the exhaust.
Loosenut893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag this one back up but I'm trying to decide what to use on my '85 Westy that has the dragging butt syndrom. Would these work better or the NAPA/Monroe coil over (part #58595) that has been used as well? Thanks.
2013 Mini Paceman
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a set on my 85 westy this weekend. Seem to work fine. Went in very easy and installing the air lines and valve was simple. Didn't think about using higher quality bolts. I'll have to switch those out. Otherwise very happy with them for $80. Running about 50 psi in mine.
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosenut893 wrote:
Sorry to drag this one back up but I'm trying to decide what to use on my '85 Westy that has the dragging butt syndrom. Would these work better or the NAPA/Monroe coil over (part #58595) that has been used as well? Thanks.

I also looked at installing those, but the Gabriels were cheaper and I figured that no matter how much she was loaded up, being able to make micro adjustments with the air valve to ensure a leveled ride was more useful, not to mention trick. I think you'll be fine if you go with the coil overs since many who have used the coil overs are satisfied with the ride/handling and height. I can't say what the ride comparison would be though. However, I can say that it has been a couple of weeks + one camping trip and both me and my wallet are still smiling.

In order to be right on in leveling height, check the lengths of the new shocks against the OEM. They may be hard to find, search Monroe's website. Look for an extended length and compressed or loaded length. As an educated guess, IMO that if the new rear shock lengths are 1"- 1.5" longer than the stock compressed lengths, you're golden.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This air shocks solution sounds great. Can they be used on a 2WD (Wolfsburg) and are they available for the front and is it a good idea for the front ?

Thanks

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No can do for front shock application.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosenut893 wrote:

I have the 58595s and they work OK. The one's on this topic seem like a good idea, I'd go that way if I needed new ones, which I don't. The Monroes are doing just fine and I have no sag most of the time (seems sometimes the rear sags more than others, and weight has no effect). The Monroes seems a little rough, but not bad. I think my springs are original, so that probably has something to do with it.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:
Loosenut893 wrote:

I have the 58595s and they work OK.

I have the 58595s, 1.5yrs, and I'd say they work pretty well.
Varying loads.. up to very big.

I orginally installed them after AirLift airbags failed one too many times... and with the orignal springs. The Monroes were MUCH better than airlift airbags. MUCH better. Hands down.. Better.

I have since installed new springs (VC/Syncro.org).. and the Monroes still provded a bit some more firmness in the rear.. riding about 1/4"-3/8" higher than the front (also with the new springs).

I'd give the Monroes a thumbs up.
Install em.. check the mount brackets occasionally, check the bolts..
..and forget about them. No adjusting.

But these Gabriels are intriguing and I look forward to seeing some reports after some miles and varying loads.
I'd be very tempted to try them.

danfromsyr wrote:

Last edited by j_dirge on Thu May 06, 2010 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

along with the shocks you can add a compressor and guage on the dash. I used to have this setup.
http://shop.airliftcompany.cust.shopatron.com/product/348152/25592/_/Leveling_Compressor_Kit
It's great to be able to monitor the air pressure while you drive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loosenut893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the feedback I'm going to try the Gabriels. Given the adjustability and cost its worth the try and if they prove not to be all that I was hoping for I don't feel like I've wasted a bunch of money. Thanks.
2013 Mini Paceman
tripod808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a pair of these off of Amazon.

My plan is to weld some reinforcement onto the upper shock mount so that I can use the full 25-200psi range of the shock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: