Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tapatalk?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeDub18T wrote:
I use this app without any issues.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forums/id306032863?mt=8

Can you elaborate on this? I downloaded it, but it only displays the standard format site, not the mobile friendly version. FYI- I both went though the list of sites available and typed in the address too.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bowtiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to beat a horse here ..

It would be nice to have Tapatalk available and when and if you need Donations for a upgrade i'm in ..
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Everett,

I've worked with phpBB since version 1 and love it both for it's openness and for it's cost. I can attest to the fact that even the most minor of changes can make for a painful upgrade experience. Here's what I did to minimize the impact on my sites.

It was of the utmost importance that the addons(modules) that I've written did not change any code in the core phpBB install. The way I handled that is to have the script use separate db tables and simply check the phpbb_user table and match user_id for their username. This ensures that no matter what happens to the forum code, as long as the user_id doesn't change, my code will continue working. Also, although I'm using phpBB's session system, the pages are not generated through the forum's templating system. I use my own overall header and footer so I don't need to do any editing of the styles during upgrade either, which is normally the bulk of the work during the upgrade process.

To give an example, this membermap system as well as this classifieds system uses the phpBB session system but were both created without making a single change to the forum system itself.

It's something to consider while making future alterations so you don't get locked into an ancient version of the forum. The last upgrade I performed on the site linked above took me less than 30 minutes and none of my addon code was broken after. The site linked also runs Tapatalk, which I installed at the communities' insistence, although I couldn't imagine why it was any better than using my phone's browser. I can say that if you're trying to view the forums of a site, it can't be beat. Instead of shrinking and growing the pages of a site designed for a computer screen and trying to hit tiny links with my fat fingers, the Tapatalk module optimizes the experience for the phone's screen, making the most commonly used links easy to get to while stripping all the superfluous stuff that you never use.

Thank you for the fantastic site!
json
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WaterDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more vote for Tapatalk.

Also, I'd be glad to hook you up with my friend "Mellow" out of Texas Everett. He's the one with some of the features I was telling you about.

The majority of us use that site while traveling.

(I'm referring to ST-Owners.com)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 TapaTalk
Very hard to read on smartphone/tablet as the design of this site is not responsive, so it won't scale automatically and is very small.
Thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in seeing a Tablet screen capture as I cannot understand why that would be hard to read.

I don't have a tablet but I thought it looked just like my smart phone but larger. My smart phone looks just like the site but everything is shrunk to fit the screen. Everything fits and reads fine.

Last edited by EverettB on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@EverettB
Just try it on your phone. Once you use it you will have the AHA moment.
Pushing next on a shrunken screen is ridiculous compared to swiping Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree some things are small and swiping is easier but I've never had any trouble using my phone.

I do not use the crappy browser it came with though, Chrome on my phone works 100x better and is easier to click text as it has some intelligence regarding clicking items. I can also zoom in very easily, if needed.

I don't use my phone that much though. It's much larger on a tablet, right?

If there is something that is specifically difficult to click on a tablet I would like to know and will probably change it. I have already changed several things to make them easier to click on my phone.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at all the pagination in the classifieds/gallery/forums and decided to make it all 1 size larger, I hope that helps with clicking the text.

This affected a few other pieces of text too as they are all the same type of text.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, any update for tapatalk support?

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no change.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go on other websites all the time and it always pops up an annoying window for tap talk. I hit cancel mainly because I have no idea what it is and everything works fine without it on my android phone. What improvements does it make?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for tapatalk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ludo1088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapatalk? Reply with quote

I vote for tapatalk ! It's a very good opportunity for your website and it's very simple for the tablets/smatphones users. It's possible to install tapatalk for thesamba ? (With other version for this forum).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
LinkeLoutje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tapatalk? Reply with quote

Yes vote in favor! It's my main option to track all my forum posts, plus it would make this site much easier to visit...

Something else, do I understand correctly that the forum is not upgraded since 2010? Does that not indicate a major security threat?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I go on other websites all the time and it always pops up an annoying window for tap talk. I hit cancel mainly because I have no idea what it is and everything works fine without it on my [iphone].

This.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapatalk? Reply with quote

LinkeLoutje wrote:
Something else, do I understand correctly that the forum is not upgraded since 2010? Does that not indicate a major security threat?

No and No.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There is no change.

I am happy that the forums I visit MOST, (this, and a biking forum) don't give me that annoying pop up asking about Tapatalk every damn time I visit.

I like our internet home for Volkswagens just the way it is. Thanks, Everett, for keeping it this way. I loathe the day I need to search Vortex or JJ for issues with my Mk 5.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew3901
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapatalk? Reply with quote

Ok as I understand reading through:
1. the board source code is compatible, but modifications were made that are not compatible with taptalk?
2. you can browse the site on your phone but it is hard to read and use ( cannot read it)
3. Is there an app for android that will help with mobile viewing and posting at this time?
4. I like tap talk, but am willing to go with what ever app your using.

love the site and if need be will still use via laptop!

thanks
Matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: