Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Reason to Seek a Syncro!?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Another Reason to Seek a Syncro!? Reply with quote

I drive a 87' Wolfs Westy, while out camping at the Little Sahara sand dunes in central Utah I was tooling around the campground looking for a level-ish site. While idling on a hill (van was perpendicular to the slope, with driver side lower than passenger side) which I would guess to be 25%-35% slope, the engine began to sputter and die upon acceleration. After a couple attempts to restart I realized it just wasn't getting gas. Only after coasting to the bottom of the hill did it promptly restart.

I've seen my 4x4 brethren crawl all over hills just as steep without losing gas supply to the engine. SO...I am wondering do any of you know if all non-Syncro gas pickup points have a dead spot in the tank? Is there a remedy or should I just avoid crossing steep hills and have yet ANOTHER reason to seek a Syncro!?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas tank output on a syncro is on the bottom and it has a dropped section to help avoid fuel starvation. The 2wd gas tanks have the output on the rear corner on the passenger side so it is possible to get a fuel starvation problem if you are parked at a steep angle and have a low gas tank.
It is best to climb a hill parallel to the slope to avoid any problems with slipping or even rolling over Shocked

Last edited by syncrodoka on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of a shallow slope to see that effect on fuel supply. I have heard of the 2WD tanks having pick-up tubes with issues discussed here. The Syncro has a different tank set up, which you obviously know. I have not leaned mine over too far. I am slightly paranoid on its semi high CG. This is exacerbated on the Syncro, by being slightly higher with bigger tires (on average). So I'm not sure your engine will die from fuel issues from the feed or it lying on its side. Then again, when I go off the road for any distance I usually will top my tank off just before and/or fill from my reserve fuel container (the Kolpin fuel pack).

I'm sure some of our more aggressive Syncro owners here will pipe in if they ever had a fuel supply issue.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im one of the least aggressive syncro drivers, and I have had my Van engine die from fuel starvation.

It happened at SDM last year, coming down from the top. I was basically stopped pointed downhill at less than 15% grade, (I have sycnrollometers ), clutch disengaged, inching forward to drop my front wheels down a ledge.. iirc I was at less than 20% incline when I dropped the wheels into the hole, at which point the motor died. I had about half a tank of fuel, not that low..

After coasting down to a flat spot, using the brakes, it was easy enough to restart the engine with the ignition circuit. (I did not use engine compression to slow my descent, as I did not want the Van to lurch forward when it came back to life)

The van had a new fuel tank, new fuel sender, new fuel filter and new fuel pump..

When I got back to base I asked Syncrozilla about it, and he confirmed it IS possible to stall a Syncro by fuel starvation when front of van is lower than back.. I suppose not many people experience this, since stopping on a 20% downslope is not typical use, and another driver might have stayed in gear, which would have restarted the van at some point.. possibly leaving them unaware that there was a fuel starved moment on the way down..
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your tank have any dents? My original one was slightly dented but it was a big problem. Even around flat turns it would suck air.

I cut apart my old tank (heh) and looked inside. The pickup and return is in the middle of the tank where the round depression is. It has baffles all around. In my case the slight dent had popped one of the baffles up therefore making a huge hole in the little sump.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The pickup and return is in the middle of the tank where the round depression is

That makes perfect sense. I have never looked inside of a 2wd tank, I just know where the hookup is on my 2wd.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's all the reason you need to get a Syncro, you're on your way! Laughing
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ll have to check the bottom of the tank to see if there is a dent, but if the output in on the passenger side/rear or the tank, then looks like I just have to modify my driving technique.

Thanks, all
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the pipe exits the tank is irrelevant, the output is picked up from the center regardless. If it was dented enough to lift the baffles less fuel may have been held in the center pan during a maneuver, but it's still picking up from the center.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: