Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

newbie (face palm) lol
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
japtrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: newbie (face palm) lol Reply with quote

so i just got a 1970 bug 1600sp and i did all my maintence to it and now i want to mod it. i have automotive experience i just came over from the honda world i got over it. lol i want to build this bug to beat my buddys 91 integra with z b20 vtec in it/ (roughly 170ish whp) i was gonna start with heads, dual carbs (weber 40s), upgraded dizzy, Camshaft (Valve Lift .539 310 Duration .385 Cam Lift. 1.4:1), and a new exhaust with a stinger. will this do the trick to beat his car...will it be reliable. is this a good start. eventually i was gonna bore it out but i wanted to try modding the 1600 first so i could get used to it. thanks in advanced Cool
japtrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and also i was gonna have a 2100lbs clutch plate and clutcc too put the power to the wheels.

bump it up someone help me out
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to ditch the 16 and head right to a larger mill. Probably save money in the end.
PanchoVilla619
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they will also tell you to upgrade your brakes too....
mos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the mr2 world, and we drive slow cars, if u want power out of a mr2 your going to have to buy alot of parts and put in alot of work, its sort of the same thing with vw (from what i hear anyways) to get any ammount of power it takes alot, sounds like you have all you need though.

and if like with mr2's if thats not enough get a turbo or just swap in some other motor Smile
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan on a 2275 with dual 44 idfs or 40 dellorto's. 9:0 compression 1 5/8 exhaust system, fk-8 cam, 40x35.5 valve heads with some good port work. That would be a good start and should put out 140-150 depending on carbs and heads. But it won't be cheap
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

japtrap wrote:
oh and also i was gonna have a 2100lbs clutch plate and clutcc too put the power to the wheels.

bump it up someone help me out

Bigger clutch should be further down the list. If anything, keep the stock clutch so you don't blow up the tranny.

And while you're in there changing the camshaft, you might as well get bigger jugs. And stroke it. haha
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie (face palm) lol Reply with quote

japtrap wrote:
so i just got a 1970 bug 1600sp and i did all my maintence to it and now i want to mod it. i have automotive experience i just came over from the honda world i got over it. lol i want to build this bug to beat my buddys 91 integra with z b20 vtec in it/ (roughly 170ish whp) i was gonna start with heads, dual carbs (weber 40s), upgraded dizzy, Camshaft (Valve Lift .539 310 Duration .385 Cam Lift. 1.4:1), and a new exhaust with a stinger. will this do the trick to beat his car...will it be reliable. is this a good start. eventually i was gonna bore it out but i wanted to try modding the 1600 first so i could get used to it. thanks in advanced Cool

Define "beat". You need to spell out your definition of success here. What does "beat" mean to YOU?

My 1987 Porsche 911 with 200 hp totally stock engine regularly "beats" modified 500 hp Z06 Corvettes at the race track. They blast past me on the straights, but I catch and then pass them in braking zones and in the turns...
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did you post this in two forums??

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
japtrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because i wanted to get the opinion of the people in both forums. and overall im getting the go big or go home answer??

and i want to take him in the straight 1/8th mile but 1/4 would be nice i can't get him to take it to the auto cross or scca meets. but on a handling note what do i do to make my bug handle well??

but as for the first question so bore out and stroke this motor or get a new one all together and if so what size i was looking at a 2332 long block for around 2k which is out of my price range because 2k is alot for a not running mototrr plus you need like 5k to make this worth it from what i read. so what size should i go for that i can find for pretty cheap and put down some good power. Question
japtrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
Plan on a 2275 with dual 44 idfs or 40 dellorto's. 9:0 compression 1 5/8 exhaust system, fk-8 cam, 40x35.5 valve heads with some good port work. That would be a good start and should put out 140-150 depending on carbs and heads. But it won't be cheap

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=109_115_126&products_id=4141 will these be good heads.

can u post some links or suggest where to find the parts you have listed.
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.

Pick any two.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta remember you have power to weight on your side
granted an intergra isnt a huge car but id still bet its 200kg+ heavier than a bug

150hp in mine does 0-60mph in abit over 6.5sec which keeps it in front of most stock 4cyl N/A cars
japtrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie (face palm) lol Reply with quote

japtrap wrote:

so u have a buddy with a baja it has a 1902 or 1904 i dont remember which. will this do the trick if i put it in my bug. if i was to build on it.
ANSAracingb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

japtrap wrote:
and i want to take him in the straight 1/8th mile but 1/4 would be nice i can't get him to take it to the auto cross or scca meets. but on a handling note what do i do to make my bug handle well??

If he won't take it to autoX he can be beat. He doesn't know the limits of his car. Anybody can go in a straight line...practice learning the "edges of the envelope" of your car and you'll be much faster than him. Become comfortable with how your Beetle handles under acceleration, fast cornering, shifting while you have your hands full controlling your car, etc...and you won't have to worry; you'll win.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupin..the..3rd wrote:
Fast, Cheap, Reliable.

Pick any two.

I've heard that before Wink

Better break open the piggy bank.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned new cam - while case is split you need to add stroker crank and have it bored for larger (90.5 or 94mm) P&C.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japtrap wrote:
i was looking at a 2332 long block for around 2k which is out of my price range because 2k is alot for a not running mototrr plus you need like 5k to make this worth it from what i read.

no offense intended, but to save you some major disappointment later, I'll say give up now... if you are cringing at the cost of the engine, you'll shit your pants when you have to drop a pile of pennies on a transaxle, axles, CV's/etc to match the higher output you are looking for... My current build is gonna end up somewhere around 9k or more(the engine).. I was quoted over 3k for a transaxle to compliment the engine...

GEX has. Just sayin

Last edited by bugninva on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or....
www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193378&highlight=rotary

Link

or...

a Subie engine

Link

or...

if you wanna go with something you already know...
F20C1 swap would be sweet and make you pretty much untouchable

www.kennedyeng.com
japtrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fattie wrote:
or....
www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193378&highlight=rotary

Link

or...

a Subie engine

Link

or...

if you wanna go with something you already know...
F20C1 swap would be sweet and make you pretty much untouchable

www.kennedyeng.com

how tough would the f20c1 swap be s2k motor right???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: