Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strange fluid leak transmission?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigstrov34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: strange fluid leak transmission? Reply with quote

so noticed a puddle under the bug and upon inspection it appears to be driping from the dead center of the car up on the frame.. there is a little rubber nipple looking thing that is driping the fluid..

any ideas what this is or how i can fix it?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe brake fluid leaking its way from a leak in master cylinder or brake lines?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
nikolaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me last week. Check your brake fluid level. It's probably empty. Replacing the master cylinder isn't difficult. The one that died on me was a Varga. I now have one from AC Industries.

Anybody have some good ideas on how to wash out the inside of the tunnel?
bigstrov34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really it could be brake fluid? i just replaced the master cylinder yesterday because i was getting a drip out of the pan in the front drain hole.. im really surprised that fluid could make its way all the way back by the trans too.. jeezzzz..its been doing that since i got the car.. brake fluid level looks fine.. any chance it could be trans related?
nikolaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was brake fluid. The plug in the back may have been holding it in. I drove around the block right after bleeding the brakes and topping off and when I parked it started to drip pretty fast.

The next day the fluid was empty. Basically repeated the same thing then replaced the master cylinder. I have my e-brake boot off right now and if I look in there I can still see brake fluid.

Yours may have just waited to come out the back after you replaced your MC.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to wash it out without causing my car to rust from the inside.

My car is an autostick and my tranny only has 1500 miles on it so I was very worried about that too. ATF and brake fluid feel and look the same to me. For sure it was only brake fluid. If your tranny is leaking, it'll usually drip off the case or in my case, pan.
bigstrov34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i haven't noticed any more drips so maybe that was it.. i need to get up in there and try to wash it out more so things don't start to rust..
scratchs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the black nipple piece you see leaking oil ( coming of the down pipe off the oil filler neck) is doing what it is meant to do. It should be soft and should open when you pinch it, if not by a new one. Check you engine oil level too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: