Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fiberglass one piece front end mounting help...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
( o\_/o )
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: fiberglass one piece front end mounting help... Reply with quote

ok i used the search option and i just can't find any info on the mounting.

i know u have to cut off the old metal body and leave enough metal so u can mount brackets for the fiberglass.

but i would really feel more confident if i saw pictures of how this is done.

thanks guys
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine, there are 3 dzus fasteners per side along with 2 up front near the headlights. Yours may be different if you are still running the stock fuel tank but this should give you an idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your cut depends on how the hood is going to mount. flip up, or just fully removable. Also, how much do you want to seal up the front compartment.

Heres how i cut mine. I didnt intend for the cut to be right next to the tank, but it works out good!! Now i can cover the back side of the dash and the tank with snap buttons and rubber mat and get a better seal. I dont like a drafty dash, i gets my fingers cold.

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's mine, front end fits good and makes like a trunk still. also still using stock gas tank. have one duz fastener on each side, and tow hood pins by the windshield and two hood pins and two adjustable stops to support the front on the front piece.

bajapunk70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all there are plenty of ways do mount these and everyone does it the way think is best because of one advantage or another. one piece front ends are definatley the more difficult way to go and it is really hard to find good info on mounting these, so im here to help as much as i can seeing how much of a pain it was for me. mine is a daily driver mostly street driven and not an offroad monster.
this is how i did it...

I left as much of the wheel well as possible to keep water out of my electical and off the stock gas tank. If i were you i would try to keep more metal at the front to mount your headlights instead of having to build a bracket. i just followed the curve of the fenders and trimmed what needed to be in order to get it to sit right

I had to modify the tilt bumper to get it to clear the lower bolts on the beam. does anyone know of a better way to do this? or why these are made this way?

I had to use a block of wood to space the front end so it lined up along the front and cleared the bumper. if you flipped the bracket on the bumper the other way you wouldn't need the block of would but you should trim the fiberglass up bu the windshield to get it to fit properly. i went the other route because the only cutting tool i own is a sawzall Embarassed not a very precise tool.

i used a piece of brakeline tubing and welded some washers to it and made a hood prop. just had to bend it to shape so it sits in that little groove in front of the weather strip for the hood. Its kinda scary before you make that first cut but its all down hill from there. draw out what you wanna cut with a paint marker, then take that line back a couple inches and draw another. alot of modification might need to be done to the one-piece as well. remember you can always take more off but its a pain in the arse to put some back. hope this helps some!
-Jeff
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
Here's mine, there are 3 dzus fasteners per side along with 2 up front near the headlights. Yours may be different if you are still running the stock fuel tank but this should give you an idea.

Do you have any pictures of the front?

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is about the best that I have, there are a few more pics on page 11 of my gallery.

Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Your baja rocks!

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a shot of one of the front Dzus fasteners. So simple. Nice.

twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajapunk70 wrote:

I had to modify the tilt bumper to get it to clear the lower bolts on the beam. does anyone know of a better way to do this? or why these are made this way?

I was told long ago that most of them were made for cars with 2"-3" lift kits. I'm not sure this makes sense, but I'm having to do what you did.

This car is basically stock, you can see the bumper hinge hangs about an inch below the the torsion bar without using the wood splint you are using.

this is not a very good picture, but usually there is a piece of wood that slants upwards from the torsion bars, screws to the body in front of the gas tank and mimics the curve of the hood that keeps the water out and a good bit of the wind. It is mounted by two dzus fasteners on each side and 6 bolts to the bumper. I have chain stops that keep the hood from smashing into the ground when it opens. I have to raise my hood each time I want to fill up (that will soon change) so it's very flimsily mounted but easy to get to the stuff inside (if I ever hit anything with the front bumper it would collapse). I will end up fabricating two mounts for the front bumper at the top where it hinges and bolting it down there, rewelding the front bumper above the bottom torsion bar, making up the difference with some manner of bracket to the fiberglass so the hood sits right and installing some type of hole so I can fill up without moving the front hood.

Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked how Baja5 mounted his front so I made something similar. It might be difficult to see, but I made a bumper that is welded to the towers with flanges so I can still remove it. On the top part of the bumper, I made angled mounting tubes and welded the dzus tabs on there. Right below the dzus tab is a 'step' that allows the front end to sit on so that I don't have to wrangle the front end when trying to fasten the dzus'.

The angled tubes also allow me to still unhinge and tilt my front end to gas up, etc. Seems to work well so far.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCsnowboarder15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to do a single piece front end build but I cannot find a business that sells the single piece clip in the Midwest. Does anyone know of a place closer than California and closer to Wisconsin?

Thank you
MetricMuscle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might anybody know what brand any of these front ends are?

Anybody got any pics or know of a one piece bug eye front end that is still available?

Fiberglass Specialties / MarkV makes one but they don't have any pics of it installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: