Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhippo
Segapone Wanna-B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I've been searching the age-old topic of putting a newer style big-nut tunnel transmission (64-67) into an older bus (1957). The classic question is which method of adaptation to use on the front mount.

You can go solid mount--no hacking of bus, but all transmission vibration and noise is transferred directly to the bus and makes it VERY noisy.

You can HACK your bus's transmission mount so you can use a newer mount with rubber in it. Makes for a much quieter ride, but the hack is nasty to make and nastier to reverse.

I REALLY want a quiet ride on this bus with a later transmission, but I HATE the idea of hacking the tranny mount.

One of the previous responses to this type of question was "use a center Berg style mount", runs quiet, no hack needed. There was no follow-up to this response and no pictures.

Can someone elaborate on this "best of both worlds" solution?

Thanks!

Look, I'll do whatever you want...Just get that death-weiner away from me! -- Principal Skinner

Never let a stripper clog dance near your dangle. -- Bob Oblong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact nate at wagenswest,i gave him a original early housing and he was supposed to make a urathane mount which would mean no hacks and no vibration.......

worthy of noting is my 56 sc solid mount,had it for many yrs and honestly i dont have insane noise and ive never had a problem with it
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '59 SC had the solid mount conversion and it was noisy. Kept coming loose because the front was solid and the rear was mounted in rubber which allowed the trans to move slightly like stock and wallored (hillbilly slang) out the mounting holes into the nose cone.

I performed the hack and soooooo much better mounted in stock front rubber.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldeskooloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely topic……..looking to do the same for my early bus and would like to see options. Samba Nation…………..thoughts……….????
richardab1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

happyhippo wrote:
Hey folks,

Thanks!

Hi, yes I did this to my 57, I used a UK supplied centre mount and no front mount at all.

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34164&hilit=intermediate&start=150

It required welding two small plates onto the underside of the frame horns. It hangs down about the same amount as the big U frame crossmember.

It runs smooth (I can't understand the logic in having soft rear mounts and solid front...something is gonna break!), but I only run a stockish 1500 so no great stress on the mount.

Sorry no pics.

Regards
Richard
happyhippo
Segapone Wanna-B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

richardab1967 wrote:
happyhippo wrote:
Hey folks,

Thanks!

Hi, yes I did this to my 57, I used a UK supplied centre mount and no front mount at all.

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34164&hilit=intermediate&start=150

It required welding two small plates onto the underside of the frame horns. It hangs down about the same amount as the big U frame crossmember.

It runs smooth (I can't understand the logic in having soft rear mounts and solid front...something is gonna break!), but I only run a stockish 1500 so no great stress on the mount.

Sorry no pics.

Regards
Richard

Thanks for the pointer, Richard! At least now I know what I'm looking for. Anyone have pics of this setup?

Look, I'll do whatever you want...Just get that death-weiner away from me! -- Principal Skinner

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mount looks great. Does anyone have pics of it installed? I may just copy it from the pics in that thread.
richardab1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look at my photo collection later and see if it crops up in any underside shots.

You could contact the seller (Butty) on the ssvc thread, I think he still sells them, it wasn't that expensive and I'm sure he'd ship to the states.....if the planes ever start flying again!

Regards
Richard
richardab1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one pic, bit fuzzy, hope it helps

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should start manufacturing these. I PM'd the poster of the photo, but he never responded. looks like a good idea. all the modifications are done to the tunnel nose cone, and the bus gets out unscathed. it uses the stock split case mounting setup.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=498388
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
happyhippo
Segapone Wanna-B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind,
I think I'm missing something re: your post. The nose cone you pictured is an early nosecone. The nose cone on a tunnel tranny looks completely different. I need to get this tranny mounted up with the newer nose cone and the older forward transmission mount without hacking the bus in any way...I'll hack a nose cone to bits, however, if it will help solve this problem.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Linds post again, That is a tunnel nose cone modified with a slip on adapter to fit in the split case frame mount.
happyhippo
Segapone Wanna-B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Look at Linds post again, That is a tunnel nose cone modified with a slip on adapter to fit in the split case frame mount.

Thanks for the clarification. I get it now! Smile

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it worked out? With all that ginding on the nose cone to fit that adapter piece looks like it would make the nose cone weak. with all the torque on the nose it seems like it could break pretty easily?
richardab1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
I wonder how it worked out? With all that ginding on the nose cone to fit that adapter piece looks like it would make the nose cone weak. with all the torque on the nose it seems like it could break pretty easily?

Actually I had to do the same filing of the top rib of the nosecone in my centre mount version, it was to clear the chassis mount. I concluded because the gearbox was not supported by the nosecone in my solution, weakening it would not be detrimental. Not sure how it would fare when load was put though it.

Regards
Richard
crusty67t2
Trailer Park King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old speed sells a mid mount set up that welds to the cross member, It eliminates the front mount. The one that I seen installed looks to be easily reversible/removable. May not be exactly what some people are looking for? It worked very well In the bus I seen it in.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a 60 only beetle front trans mount and weld a couple studs on for it

I do my own front mount hacks, but are reversable with a little cutting and grinding
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldeskooloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
someone should start manufacturing these. I PM'd the poster of the photo, but he never responded. looks like a good idea. all the modifications are done to the tunnel nose cone, and the bus gets out unscathed. it uses the stock split case mounting setup.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=498388

Lind,
Spoke to that guy,,,It worked good but, it did not sound like he wanted to make anymore……I will ask him again, would be a good ‘side business’ for him if nothing else and keep the samba nation updated.
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
Find a 60 only beetle front trans mount and weld a couple studs on for it

I do my own front mount hacks, but are reversable with a little cutting and grinding

Do you have to cut the circle area on the bus at all? Can you provide some pics of this setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4785

Could something like this be used? Just the front strap would be necessary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: