Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 RHD Barndoor, field cart.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: 54 rhd barndoor ,feild cart.build up. Reply with quote

Well here we go ,got the old girl back in the garage and started dismantling the front end ,ripped the front A posts and doors off for the hopefully final time,and removed all the front floors apart from the head light surport panel and front floor section ,as i have the kids this week ive been out there early before the kids get up ,stripped all the panels from the funcky green paint so i have no obstructions when welding the two together.bought a couple more ends for the spot welder so hopefully this will make it a lot easier to get into ,sad to say that when you remove all the panels you scatch your head and think what a alotta wasted time,but its all good ,a bet alot of you think why?well the A post were rooted and all the front internals of the panels were rusted out,or signs of it going that way,man ive got this far its gotta be wright,for me that is ,i know alot of you would of welded her up ,but going this far i didnt want it to bite me in the arse, later on down the track.well this week i had a bit of luck i did a bit of trading with ian terry ,left rear corner for a front skin ,one more thing to not think about,eh.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]http://s2.postimage.org/27ymr0odg/DSC_0088.jpg[/iurl]
mg]

so in these few photos ,just showing you what i am up against.
[url=http:

Well here is a few shots of whats happened in the last few days,feeling possitive about this project,now ive got all the right panels now.so hopefully i will be moving forward in the next couple of weeks. I bet alot of you guys think why ?but its a barndoor and a right hand drive,there are lots of barnys out there but leftys,not many right hand drive though. Very Happy i am just trying to convence myself im doing the right thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksfahrer.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impresive work again!!

One note though; please try and locate an original nosepanel!
With your skills you should be able to save even a pretty rusty and
beaten panel.

The shape of the profile that makes up the V in the nose is way of
on the repro panels and even varies in cross-profile allong it's course.

Like this (just an example):

Fair chance (as most have this) that even the headlightbuckets are on different heights too.
Most of these black panels have the tip of the V all wrong too.

IMHO; after all the incredible work you've done so far it would be a shame to put in a panel like that.

66 panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: 54 rhd barndoor ,feild cart.build up. Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info ,as i havent got that far yet ,i traded it for a corner i have the original still ,so this might still go on ,see wot happens ,but again thank you ?. i like to get feed back from people and there professional advise ,cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratmuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Bish, give me a shout if you need a front panel....got a used one cheers steve
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there can any one give me advise on how to remove the barrel from the t handle on deck lid please ? ,any help would be great thanks Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you remove the collar, there is a small screw near the T-handle that you have to unscrew, then you insert the key and the handle will slide out.

I tried to find a photo in the Gallery and only found a later cargo door handle but you can see the tiny screw is removed here - same idea:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Everett ,much appreciated ,just getting my final bits and pieces to go the the chromers.just need too get some keys cut then. Wink
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So right guys been a bit lazy in the fact i have not put any posts up for ages ,so i will place a few photos of things i have done in the last 9 months ,taking into consideration that i have built a single cab and half way threw a karmann ghia .
, for my young lady.i want to get this finished by may next year for the valla barndoor gathering in n.s.w australia.
Hope you like?
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ,here we go,now i have finished all my odds and ends on my other cars i have finally found time to start back on the barny again .this was the last photo of it .

Well i have scrubbed all the gerson paint of the panels and cleaned things wright up ,as i go i am now cleaning edges from the new primer i have applied to all the panels,as i don't want to see any bear metal showing ,now for you guys i have aligned the front a pillars ,checked and pre drilled the front apron,messed about with the b pillar the temp fitted the above door panel ,alot of messing but i gotta get it right.but as i have played with this all before it seems to be coming along .i will just pop a few photos up at a time ,coz i don't want you think i am russian this along.? Wink
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now what i am going to do for all you lufters is a step by step ,hope this is what you want?

Well heres the front all scrubbed up ,as there was abit of surface rust on some of the panels ,so i attacked all the surfaces with thinners and a green cloth.

In this photo,the front a pillars are gripped on and dash section ,as i go i am using the single cab for some measurements ,remembering that they ain't the same but as i have not a thing to go by. Wink Wink
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple more shots for today .

In this shot i have joined a pillar and b pillar together using so called top door panel this comes in three pieces ,from what i can tell the outside panels are all the same ,but the inner panel isn't and of course the drip rail panel is different as well , coz it kicks in on the corners .drip rail panel not fitted yet, this will come when i fit up the front screen app.hope this all makes sense?x cuse my poor old f@ck up English some times .

Just another shot of pass side.

Right these three panels are for the front wind screen surround,drip rail which i made up and 2inner panels which go from windscreen app to driprail,show you in photos later ,ok

Now front panel still undecided,what to do here .its new and they ain't the best panels in the world but it works ,the other front i have is just f2ck up ,and would look like a patch work quilt????????not sure yet?
well guys if the pictures are too small or big let me know coz i ain't know computer wiz
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well had a really good day yesterday ,got a fair bit done.

As you can see floor back down for the fourth time ,and will not be coming out ,hopefully?

Made this little jig for the drip rails ,clamp this to the out side of the drip rail and clamp from the other side to get my 10 mm gap on the out side ,seems to work really well.

Well believe it or not got the passenger door hang with small adjustment and the side cargo door nearly done had problems with this as i have to weld this bottom hinge on ,but really happy with the out come ,still needs some final adjustments ,remember this is not jigged and when the roof goes on hopefully the rail will straighten up a bit more when welded ,but just final adjustments . Got to get the front on.But today the other drip rail,lets see what today brings ? Very Happy
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we go ,just to start back up again ,lets rewind back to jambo .well had me old mate Andrew Dodd come down for this event ,and dropped of some stuff and we had a good old long chat about the barndoor, so to my surprise the Valla show next year was going to be a barndoor gathering ,then proceeded to ask me what was needed to get my finger out to get this ready for the show? and did i have a list of things needed ?well i just gave a few little items i could think off ,off the top my head ,and said leave it with me ,next he had located stuff for me ,with prices and locations that he would be going too,to collect on his travels. ie stuff to put together for my from seat ,tail light bezels and engine lid bracket ,fuel tank neck , rear seat and the list goes on .thanks again Andrew Dodd.
He came down again for the Williams town swap meet and delivered some stuff to me off the list. great stuff . 1x prized tail light bezel ,one to come. Very Happy and other odds and ends.
Then a week and a half ago brought the rest of the list of items down while dropping off another car ,second bezel from Luke Pell we did a little trading , + front seat bases. + a couple of sets of wheels and a door mech from me old mate tony womberwell..

just a few of the items collected plus mirror arms and stop and tail light bulb holder,from joshroom.
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that haven't scene cargo door's welded filed and ready for fine fill. bottom hinges to be fitted,after some minor jigging. sorry some of you guys would of scene on my instagram.
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So made a start on the long side window panel removing the louvers from the donor panel ,as the louvers are on the lower long side panel,just trying to keep these things straight is an art on its own.

so in these couple of photo ,i have used a 54 beetle tank and decided to make the adjustments needed to fit the tank when the motor fitted,ie changed the neck to a eighty mm cap and placed a 90 degree neck for easy filling.just got to make some under side brackets and a breather hole ,and still might fit a fuel gauge .take some shots of the finished tank tomorrow.

These two photo's are of the bracket i had to fix ,which had cracked from the dismantling of the van ,this operates the gas pedal adjoins the brake pedal ,i very rare piece of kit made of magnesium alloy,so had to be welded by silicon rod ,my old mate paul took care of this at the local college. cheers mate.
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in this photo the makings of the barndoor base for me arse. got some 20 mm steel tube, borrowed some pipe bender and formed these .gonna cut the old bases up for the ends that slott into place and weld, made two set coz i had enough pipe .going to cut some tabs and weld them on.
Having the springs sand blasted and zinced so they will not rust again ever. i have a back seat which i am gonna modify ,a got my eyes on a middle seat , which i will pick up tomorrow. so things are coming together slowly
limeybish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this photo some finishing touches and some add on's the the exsisting panel,to make it fit better.

panel in just a couple of pin holes to finish up.

In this photo ,are the barndoor pieces i located in bad camberg from mr danger aka ben ,these had been sandblasted and primed before being welded in.

Had to make this little panel, thinking this was going to be easy was quite a ball buster ,when under close inspection there was a lot more to it
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great thread but is there anyway you can make your pics bigger they are very difficult to see

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
this is a great thread but is there anyway you can make your pics bigger they are very difficult to see

Yes Mate .......... can't make out with the pictures you posted. Fair Dinkum! Wink But awesome work!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get larger if you click on them but yes, it would be nicer just to post the larger images here. Preferably linked from the Gallery on this site instead. Very Happy

Thank for posting though, some nice progress!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: