Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you tell me! Wink

You drilled out the holes with out strapping each one down? How'd you hold it and turn the drill press at the same time and not get it to move? I strapped each one, for each hole down. It was a serious pain. Even then, a couple of them shifted slightly and I might have to file out the hole, still haven't checked them yet!

tam
phlogiston wrote:
i just picked up a set from alpine performance in florida. they had an ad on craigslist--set of 4 for $299.

i paid $550 for 5 wheels in pretty decent shape with center caps, including shipping to seattle. the wheels were well packaged. he said he had 3 sets total, so there should still be 7 rims left unless someone else snatched them up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just drilled out my lug holes yesterday by hand. No drill press needed (although I have one). It's easy enough and the bit self centers. Just apply light pressure or the bit may bite. I was able to do it with the rims on the ground between my feet. No real pressure needed to hold them down. The holes don't have to be perfect. The seats are what hold the wheel on and in the correct position.

http://youtu.be/Fjsh5o_75H8
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I just drilled out my lug holes yesterday by hand. No drill press needed (although I have one). It's easy enough and the bit self centers. Just apply light pressure or the bit may bite. I was able to do it with the rims on the ground between my feet. No real pressure needed to hold them down. The holes don't have to be perfect. The seats are what hold the wheel on and in the correct position.

http://youtu.be/Fjsh5o_75H8

Another tip I'll add is to flip the wheels facing down when you drill by hand. Less chance of a stray drill bit scratching up your new wheels, and it seemed to be easier to keep the drill perpendicular to the drilling surface.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sharp bit from T3 and they drill very easy with a large half inch size drill. The material drills like butter. edit; removed my previous statement.

Last edited by Steve Arndt on Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were so easy to drill, i'm sure it would have been fine without the drill press, but it makes me feel less suicidal about being indoors at work on a beautiful day when i can at least spend my time in the shop working on van stuff! i chose to drill from the outside because my deburring tool would not fit in the ball seat side of the opening, so i wanted the exit burr on the inside where i could deal with it more easily. i only scratched one.... and i'm going to paint them anyway, which brings me to a question:

i know many people have painted these wheels... does the clear coating need to be completely removed in order to paint, or can i just sand it? i saw one post that referenced using oven cleaner to remove the coating, but i'm always a little dubious about using corrosives on my vehicle. is it better to chemically strip the wheels? i imagine trying to completely remove the coating via sanding would be a pain. i'm not sure the wheels would fit in the sand blaster at work.

oh and tam: a sharp drill bit at the correct speed will not transmit enough torque to the wheel to turn it on the drill press table. i barely had to hold the wheels at all while drilling.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall I did drill them shiny face out, starting the bit from the outside. The ball seat makes a perfect starting fit for the bit. I wasn't thinking with my previous reply about drilling from the inside.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled mine right side (pretty side) down, so the burs would be easier to remove.

Was told to use this bit to remove burs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LVUWOA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picked it up last week and have yet to try it!

tam

Making it special:
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tam I thought you bought something other that the clk wheels
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I did. Does it matter? Sorry! Mine look the same on the inside/outside, where the lugs/bolts go. Deep grooves you can't really get at.

tam
levi wrote:
Tam I thought you bought something other that the clk wheels

Making it special:
ripvanagonwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: I just reduced the ones I'm selling to 180 for three. Reply with quote

Take a look in the classifieds. I'm not interested in shipping them, unless you want arrange the shipping, and pay for the whole junk tires to be moved removed, and I only just take it to the shipping place and they take care of all the shipping, packaging, insurance.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1610435
prattcm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:

85 Westy, no spacers on the rear, 7mm spacers on the fronts. 215/65/16 Generals. Did another 85 weekender with the same combo per Chris. Added the front spacers due to rubbing on the upper control arms, both vans.

I lost one of my center caps in a recent trip. Anybody know where I can find one like this?
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prattcm wrote:
seventyfo wrote:

85 Westy, no spacers on the rear, 7mm spacers on the fronts. 215/65/16 Generals. Did another 85 weekender with the same combo per Chris. Added the front spacers due to rubbing on the upper control arms, both vans.

I lost one of my center caps in a recent trip. Anybody know where I can find one like this?

Chris @T3Technique sells them.
walsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Wheel Fitment Reply with quote

Hello, would like to know if there is a fitment issue with the slider with these wheels and BFG LT2157016? I currently have the Gowesty wheels on my syncro, Gowesty's wheels have an ET of 38, the Mercedes wheels are an ET 32. My slider is VERY close to the tire when open. Anyone have insight to this??

Thanks!!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Fitment Reply with quote

walsky wrote:
Hello, would like to know if there is a fitment issue with the slider with these wheels and BFG LT2157016? I currently have the Gowesty wheels on my syncro, Gowesty's wheels have an ET of 38, the Mercedes wheels are an ET 32. My slider is VERY close to the tire when open. Anyone have insight to this??

Thanks!!

The offset for these particular CLK320 wheels is 37mm, not 32mm. The Mercedes replica wheels that GW sells have an offset of 38mm (for the Syncro only) or 23mm (used on both the Syncro and 2wd).

A 16x7.5 ET38 wheel with a 215/70R16 tire will have plenty of sliding door clearance, so you must have the ET23 version of those wheels if you clearance is that tight.

In other words, you will not have any sliding door clearance issues whatsoever with the CLK320 16x7 ET37 wheels with 215/70R16 tires.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my clk wheels in and what I thought was scuffing is actually the car coat flaking off.

Do most of you guys leave the clear coat or do you strip and polish?

Just wondering what the norm is here in the thread. Thanks.
itspeedmoore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: finishing Reply with quote

Do people recommend clear powder coat, anodized, or some other way to finish these wheels?
mrkrueger76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: finishing Reply with quote

itspeedmoore wrote:
Do people recommend clear powder coat, anodized, or some other way to finish these wheels?

Buddy of mine did "plastidip" on his rims for his jeep. Polished to black. They look nice. I am going to be doing my clk wheels like this for the winter months. Plastidip pulls off very easy.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: finishing Reply with quote

itspeedmoore wrote:

anodizing is much more durable than powdercoating when done correctly. The coating is extremely hard and actually part of the metal. I would love to see someone anodize the CLK's gold/bronze on a tornado red van.

Heres some good info on the differences.

http://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/how-to-decide-between-anodizing-painting-and-powder-coating/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the guy that beat me on the ebay auction for a set of (4) NOS CLK wheels brand new in box is a samba member... Then I won't feel as bad knowing they're going on a Vanagon.

Ended up going for $710. yikes.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I sure hope the guy that beat me on the ebay auction for a set of (4) NOS CLK wheels brand new in box is a samba member... Then I won't feel as bad knowing they're going on a Vanagon.

Ended up going for $710. yikes.

It wasn't me but I was bidding on that same set.

--Patrick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 66

Jump to: