Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dust in Westy cabinet
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Dust in Westy cabinet Reply with quote

I've got an 87 Westy camper, and we recently took it on a trip that involved lots of dusty roads. After a few days we noticed that everything in the cabinet under the sink was dusty. It's apparently coming in the little hole where the propane pipes enter. I had tried to close that opening with duct tape, but apparently didn't do a good enough job. Is there anywhere else it could be entering? And any suggestions about closing the hole? I don't know what was there originally. Thanks!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That expanding foam in a can will do it.
Get it at Home Depot, Lowes, ACE, etc. Be careful with it though, it expands quite a bit and can make a real mess. You can cut it with a razor knife easily after it dries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the hole for the propane lines - if I recall correctly, there should be a foam rubber 'gasket' around them, held to the body with a larger tin washer with two self tapping screws. The rubber and tin washer/retainer will have to be split to get it over the lines, but just put the splits at opposite sides of the lines.

If its not there, easy enough to make.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dust in Westy cabinet Reply with quote

87RedWesty wrote:
I've got an 87 Westy camper, and we recently took it on a trip that involved lots of dusty roads. After a few days we noticed that everything in the cabinet under the sink was dusty. It's apparently coming in the little hole where the propane pipes enter. I had tried to close that opening with duct tape, but apparently didn't do a good enough job. Is there anywhere else it could be entering? And any suggestions about closing the hole? I don't know what was there originally. Thanks!

Funny, a similar thing just happened to me, but in my case it filled the under-bench storage. It even came up through the crack between the seat back and the rear mattress. Makes me wonder if there is a rust hole under the rear heater. That is a common rust area here.

Fortunately, I only had 'dirty' stuff under there; tools, jack, oil etc.

RonC
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about body seam sealer
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding foam is inviting rust, be careful with that option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: