Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AI Imagery
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: AI Imagery Reply with quote

After a conversation on Facebook, I thought I'd create a thread for this.

These images were linked on a Facebook VW forum.

At first glance in the Facebook preview images, they looked like mildly photoshopped photos, or Lomography images, particularly the first one.

Apparently; they're entirely AI generated.

Given that AI algorythms 'learn' and self adapt from feedback; I wonder how long it will be before scammers start to use it to generate hard-to-detect fake adverts.

At the moment; scammers have to find images on the web and rip them off to add credence to their fake ads, but those images do the rounds and folks in the hobby tend to pick up that there is something wrong. This technology offers the potential for them to generate new images every time. And the more it gets used, the more convincing the images will get.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ruinedvws/permalink/1494912011326347/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

What's going on in the roof rack in the second pic?, stack of dismembered body parts?, hit and run victim?

The girls in the first pic look a little familiar, like I've seen them in that pose in one of the vintage pic threads here recently.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Holy freaking double take Batman!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
stack of dismembered body parts?.

Ted Bundys bug? Laughing
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

The fakeness of the cars is so obvious. It`s a dead give a way.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
The fakeness of the cars is so obvious. It`s a dead give a way.

Obvious to we experts. Not obvious to the ignorant masses.

Lincoln's (alleged quote): You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Just need to fool enough to make the masses do what you want.

With deep fake AI, etc. seeing is no longer believing. News bubbles limit our exposure. We seek confirmation bias.

We are screwed.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Have to agree with Phil here. It's a dead give away for those of us in the know.
The front bumper is wrong, the headlight rings are wrong. The horn grills in the second image are really wrong.
And the passenger side mirror is in front of the girls left breast, when it should be behind her back.

Where is AI headed?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

The problems with the beetle were the giveaways. The people, and to some extent the cars and houses in the background were pretty convincing.

These are the other two that were pasted. The discussion around the pictures suggested tha the AI was able to generate the shape of a 'generic' beetle, but not specific years, and that some aspects are mixed up e.g. the tail lights and engine lid on the picture of the rear, and that you can see door handles at the rear of the side picture (like the AI 'expects' a car to have four doors).

Someone on the Facebook thread pointed out that it generated a signature on one picture, likely the algorithm 'understands' that pictures often have markings there that look like that.

I've seen some pretty lousy renderings of buses with 'ghost' windows, windows in the wrong place and incomplete parts or parts in random places, but I know what to look for. I've also seen a load of 'fantasy', 'what if' pictures of US muscle cars that look damned real.

And consider that these seem to be generated by a person writing a description for what they want out of the AI and letting the AI 'draw' it. No artistic skill needed.

The feature of AI is that it adapts its algorithm based on feedback. Given enough datapoints, and enough feedback, AI should be able to generate pretty realistic pictures of just about anything.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Interesting legal problem. If you use “ apparently underage children “ for marketing purposes is it illegal material ??

Slippery slope
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

slippery slope indeed.
looks like AI has studied plenty of photos of bra-less teen girls in short shorts... Think
I've read that it has a problem with hands and that 6 fingers sometimes give it away.
I wonder what the purpose is of this and is it being developed before the legal issues have been explored?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

The dead giveaway in pics #1, #3 and #4 are how disproportionately large these girls are compared to the bug. And maybe a little too small in pic #2. The bug in #2 is right hand drive.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

AI (artificial insemination) has been used for decades in the farming industry to propagate blood lines. It has also been use in human fertility clinics. Myself I prefer the natural way.

I am not going to pretend that I know how these young ladies were conceived... they are not mine... Wink
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Hi, we are your new friends!

doug bugg wrote -
The dead giveaway in pics #1, #3 and #4 are how disproportionately large these girls are compared to the bug. And maybe a little too small in pic #2. The bug in #2 is right hand drive.
shit! I must be living in a virtual reality as I'm surrounded by rhd cars... Laughing

meanwhile...it's learning, learning at an exponential rate. before we know it we won't know what is real or fake, whether photos, video or literature.

Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Exactly ^
We'll have to ask the grandkids.. is it live or memorex? Laughing
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
Exactly ^
We'll have to ask the grandkids.. is it live or memorex? Laughing

I remember those commercials. Some of those voices could shatter a paper cup!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

wait

is that a four door beetle in that picture of the nice derier?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

yes. the AI has probably seen photos of the chinese ora suv which was all over the 'net a couple of years ago

or the original wolfsburg concept

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

It is a 4-door but who's looking at that?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Hi, we are your new friends!

doug bugg wrote -
shit! I must be living in a virtual reality as I'm surrounded by rhd cars... Laughing

meanwhile...it's learning, learning at an exponential rate. before we know it we won't know what is real or fake, whether photos, video or literature.

Another dead give away is their hands (6 or 7 fingers in the pic above Very Happy ) Look how big the girls hand is in the pic below.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AI Imagery Reply with quote

Didn't notice they had hands, now that you mention it..I see Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: