Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat insulation to cool engine bay?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayamus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Heat insulation to cool engine bay? Reply with quote

I'm looking at a product called Thermal Block from Second Skin and considering applying it to the engine bay to help cool the engine. I don't quite understand insulation completely but I believe it would just reflect the heat back. So if I put it on the deck lid would it actually make the engine hotter? How about if I put it on the bottom to reflect the muffler/exhaust heat back away from the engine?
If it's on the bottom would it force the heat out toward the vents in the lid?

Thanks in advance.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeping your engine tuned is the best way to keep it cool, I have heard that black is the best color to have in the engine bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had no problems running stock bugs ALL OUT in deserts when tuned properly and all tin in place/seals too.
It is not needed.
Glenn is (dont quote me on this) near 200hp and has no issues after years of a stock cooling setup on his 2180/

"It'd still be like my grandads old broom though, original, only 3 new heads and two new handles" -Marv [UK]
bayamus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean this in a rude way but I'm not really interested in anyone's opinion on whether it is "necessary" to cool the engine bay or not, I'm only interested in the possibilities of doing it. Plenty of stock bugs drive around to this day with little to no problems but that doesn't keep dozens of aftermarket parts from coming out, stuff like oil coolers and whatnot. I'm purely interested in knowledge about insulation and if it would be possible to cool down the engine bay area.
Thank you for your concern on keeping the engine tuned.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heat insulation to cool engine bay? Reply with quote

bayamus wrote:
I'm looking at a product called Thermal Block from Second Skin and considering applying it to the engine bay to help cool the engine. I don't quite understand insulation completely but I believe it would just reflect the heat back.

Insulation simply adds resistance to the transfer of heat from one side of the insulative barrier to the other side of the insulative barrier.

Quote:

So if I put it on the deck lid would it actually make the engine hotter?

Technically, yes; insulation on the decklid would retain heat in the engine bay.

Quote:

How about if I put it on the bottom to reflect the muffler/exhaust heat back away from the engine?

Technically, yes; that's if the insulation will hold up to temperatures found around the case, heads, and exhaust.

Quote:

If it's on the bottom would it force the heat out toward the vents in the lid?

No. Air is being drawn into the vents in the lid. Any heat in the engine compartment is going to warm the incoming air before it enters the engine and cooling shroud; depending on who you ask, this could be significant (claims Jake Raby) or not (claims Eric Allred). The latter may be especially true if all of the stock cooling tin is in place and no hot air from the underside of the engine can recirculate back into the engine compartment, which is testament to the performance of the original cooling tin. In any case, heat "going out the vents" is generally not going to happen, and the temperature of the decklid itself generally results from radiative heat transfer from the engine and surrounding tin.

As others have mentioned, what you suggest is not necessary; not because the cooling system is already sufficient (which it is), but because the gains you will achieve through further insulation are negligible, and certainly will not compensate for additional engine heat related to poor engine tune.

I don't think electrickery works that way
bayamus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a brilliant and thorough response, Stripped66, and I appreciate it. I will drop this silly idea. However I may add some insulation to the fuel tank in order to help keep it cool and minimize vapor issues. Or is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks again.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped.... I'm actually a little in awe.....

I think that may have been the first time I have EVER seen a completely coherant and well thought out answer to a question, presented in a respectful and intelligent manner, with no accusing or belittling or any other negative aspects on this board.

Seriously man, that was great, I wish even half of the posts here could be answered like you just answered this one..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:

I think that may have been the first time I have EVER seen a completely coherant and well thought out answer to a question, presented in a respectful and intelligent manner, with no accusing or belittling or any other negative aspects on this board.

Seriously man, that was great, I wish even half of the posts here could be answered like you just answered this one..

Don't worry, I'm gonna turn the @sshole back on later this evening...
Laughing Laughing Laughing

tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna ask if you were drunk or something... Razz

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
I was gonna ask if you were drunk or something... Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm usually short in response to the questions that are asked repeatedly, ad nauseum. This guy asked a decent question and wanted a non-BS answer, so I figured I'd give him one.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally insulating the fuel tank to keep it cool is really not needed. There really is no source of heat near the tank (even in a bus). ACVWs generally do not vapor lock unless something is really amiss.

Insulation and noise deadener generally are ov value to the driver however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: