Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible header bow clearance question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimhens714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Convertible header bow clearance question Reply with quote

Help! I'm replacing my convertible top and header bow. When I mount the header bow to the frame (no fabric installed yet) and close and latch the frame what should the clearance be between the header bow and the top of the windshield frame? The tabs for the header bow alignment pins hit the top of the windshield frame and prevent the bow from touching the windshield frame. I have about 1/4" clearance at center of bow and closer to 1/2" clearance at each end. This seems a bit much to me.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. After the top is installed there's a rubber strip that mounts to the top, which seats on the top of the frame.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bierboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'm a little confused. After the top is installed there's a rubber strip that mounts to the top, which seats on the top of the frame.

That may be the "clearance" he's referring to...I replaced that seal after getting my beetle, and it's probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
jimhens714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Yes that is true but the seal is only about 3/8" thick uncompressed. I'm thinking the gap is too big for the seal. I'm replacing the whole top. I haven't even gotten to the fabric part yet, still installing the wood bow on the metal frame.

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. Now note on this side the wood bow is not yet even with the bottom of the metal top frame (black folding frame that is) as the screws have been loosened and it slipped out of position a bit. Even when aligned correctly note the gap between bow and windshield frame.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bierboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the gap is too big for the seal. Now, admittedly, I'm talking from the viewpoint of a 68 vert, so the seals could be different. But my seal is at least 1/4" thick and closer to a 1/2".
jimhens714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bierboy wrote:
I don't think the gap is too big for the seal. Now, admittedly, I'm talking from the viewpoint of a 68 vert, so the seals could be different. But my seal is at least 1/4" thick and closer to a 1/2".

Mine is a '70 which has the same frame as your '68. Hmmm....
jd-drafter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that by the time you get the top material in there- and the rubber seal... you should be close.

mine is a 70 body (68 pan...long story) and the PO had added a layer of 1/4" thick high density foam rubber along that area under the stock seal.

not perfect but it works.

good luck... my top has shrunk and pulled up at the sides... so i am due for a rework or replace soon as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: