Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to build and use a Libby Bong?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flameisley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: How to build and use a Libby Bong? Reply with quote

I've done some research but haven't been able to find detailed instructions on how to build one.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a libby bong? Reply with quote

2 ft. of 2" PVC pipe
1 rubber reducing coupling from plumbing aisle. that reduces from 2" to.....1" i believe. Measure the expansion tank opening.
2 hose clamps if the coupling doesn't already come with them.
4 feet of clear vinyl tubing, 3/8"
A velcro strap.

Attach rubber coupler to PVC. A few inches above the top of the rubber drill a hole that is the same diameter or slightly smaller than the vinyl tubing. Squeeze and pull the tubing through the hole until it extends about an inch below the bottom of the rubber coupling. Seal the tubing if necessary. Velcro strap the remaining tubing to the opposite end of the PVC.

There ya go.
2wdvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a libby bong? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Here's the link to the original post. It has always worked great for me. Thank you Andrew Libby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n2wheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a libby bong? Reply with quote

my video shows the use and parts...

Link

if that interests you!
'78 scirocco
'66 T2 panel dead tour vehicle, 'mr bus'
'67 13 window
'95 eurocamper 'charlie' (phish tour vehicle)
'03 Mk4 TDI 'steve'
'04 W8 Phaeton 'david'
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a libby bong? Reply with quote

I just built one last week by scrubbing through some old posts here, worked pretty well.

Ill make a list of the items I picked up to make mine:
Pipe

Coupling

Clear Tubing

Barbed Coupler

Making it was pretty simple;
push the 24" pipe into the PVC coupler and mark a spot just above the coupler to drill a 3/8" hole for the barbed coupler, which can be secured with a small amount of silicone. You could probably just skip the metal coupler altogether and feed the hose straight through the pipe, if you don't feel like being a fancy man. I'd still hit it with some silicone sealant to reduce the potential for leaks either way though.

You don't have to be too exact with the clear hose, just make sure to cut the hose that goes from inside the pipe to the coolant tank long enough that it reaches into the fluid a few inches. The other length of hose just needs to be at least long enough to reach past the top of the main tube, so at least 24" in this case. I used more length just to help reach the container on the ground more easily when doing the siphoning at the end.

After that I simply drilled two screws into the other end of the main pipe and attached some cord/string/yarn, just something to help support it when its full of fluid and tied the other end of the string to the lift struts of the read hatch. I screwed in two screws right next to each other so that I could push the clear tubing between them and they would hold it in place without need for a rubber band or anything like that. the pressure from the screws doesn't pinch the tube closed but is enough to keep the clear tubing vertical and in place while working.

that's about it for assembly.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a libby bong? Reply with quote

brodyjdavis wrote:
...You could probably just skip the metal coupler altogether and feed the hose straight through the pipe, if you don't feel like being a fancy man...

I agree that you can skip the barbed coupler and don't understand what purpose it is supposed to serve. It seems to me it only adds to the cost with no benefit and actually makes construction more difficult. Just drill the hole for the clear tubing a little smaller than the OD of the tubing and it will seal fine without any additional sealant and you can adjust the length more easily by just pulling more or less through the hole.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a Libby Bong? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what the Libby Bong does, except it does it on level ground, like in the garage, etc. Its a stand-pipe that raises the height of the coolant in the reservoir higher than the radiator bleeder. The added pressure assists ejecting trapped air out of the radiator bleeder. Libby Bong works 'cold', which is handy.

Once the system is bled to a basic level, it self-bleeds itself while you're driving. So basically that's ALL you really need to do, just get it bled and filled to the point where the coolant circulates and carries the bubbles out to the reservoir, where it can eject the air (to the coolant overflow tank behind the license plate).

Then watching the level in the overflow tank (behind the license plate) is all you need to do. The Libby bong is perfect for this.

When the cooling system is "hot' and the system is pressurized, it's useful to park the van nose UP for a few minutes then (carefully) release more (initial) air bubbles from the radiator bleeder up high. Just once speeds up the self-bleeding process. The coolant thank behind the license plate will arrive at a consistent level sooner.

When hot, the thermostat is open and the entire system flushes readily at engine idle. This Libby bong process is a quick way to get MOST of the air out of a newly filled cooling system, so it can then self-bleed while you're driving.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to build and use a Libby Bong? Reply with quote

It really works great, even on a subie.

Here is my chad version. I put a plastic bin under it to catch the coolant in the tube when I remove it, not as elegant as the bong water release.

The hose is just a spare front coolant hose.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: