Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

After years of planning, ditching the idea, replanning, and repeating, i have finally taken the plunge and purchased an unassembled kit i found here yesterday. It was originally purchased in 2001, made its way to Virginia and was brought back here to NY but never assembled. The body is COMPLETELY untouched and came with the Berrien frame, 4 wheel disk brakes, and the windshield/side pods still packaged up. Knowing I had to drive 6 hours from Northern NY to Southern PA, i contacted Big John at Acme Carco in New Cumberland. There were a few things I felt I "needed". He was able to get the show cage, engine cage welded and ready for me in a couple of days and agreed to have someone at the shop for pickup during their off hours. The man gave me a tour of the shop and I in turn purchased a considerable amount more stuff. They were truely awesome and I highly recommend ACME CARCO for amazing customer service. I thought I would post some pics of what ive gotten so far...

Last edited by crickifur on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Congratulation on finding all that stuff. I see widened wheels on the back. Looks great already. I'll be watching
Merk
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Yeah i thought the deal on the buggy was amazing! I spent a small fortune at Acme but i had a lot of fun doing it. With any luck, by spring it will be road ready and looking nice. The rims may be what ibstart off with but eventually will be 17" as this car will only be set up for the road. Im really excited to get started. But, the wife hasnt seen it yet so ask me in a few days if im still happy.... Hahaha
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

awesome!!.good for u man....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

some more pics of that show cage and rear bumper cage I see would be nice when u get a chance.i have been thinking of going to them for that stuff.thanks!!. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Ill get those for you tomorrow. They are truly well crafted and very nicely shaped. Worth every penny!
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

awesome thanks!!
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Pics of cages and body

Keep in mind, the website does have a disclaimer regarding the show cage. the front down pipes are not symmetrical as they are designed to match their nostalgia frame. I am not sure what, if any differences there would be. the engine cage has horns that need to be welded to the stock body bushing/rear shock mount assemblies. the rear section of the cage bolts onto that. The cages are both top notch and they truly look amazing! I picked up a bunch of engine rebuilding parts at Acme (forgot the bearings) while I was there. Today, I ordered a new set of Kadrons from Kaddieshack. Will start on the engine tear down and rebuild this week. When finished, wrap up the engine and start on the chasis work. It will be an all winter project to get it driveable but have been saving up for quite some time. I am excited and eager.... build pictures to follow....
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

thanks for those pics!!.I like the show cage,i especially like that rear engine cage.i am going to have to get at least the engine cage!!.but probly both.lol.u are going to have a very nice buggy when u are done!..
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

I surely hope it turns out nice! I have been tinkering and planning for this for what seems like forever. As projects go, it will nickel and dime me from here on out. All of the expensive stuff is actually bought. I have to break down the frame for powder coating at some point and the rest is all small stuff and actually putting it together. I got the engine and transmission off and in the work shop last night. Itll be mounted tonight hopefully. I have to get it broken down by the end of the week as i will be gone for military training to start the month. Id like to come home to a decent start as my every day life is crazy busy as well...
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1804699.jpg[/im

Engine and trans is out, turns over smoothly and the trans is looking to be in decent shape. Woohoo
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

1600?
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Obviously this engine is. Itll be a 1641 with ratio rockers, w110 cam and dual Kadrons to start, simply to get it driveable at an affordable rate. After the rest is done im going 1914 and moving over the add ons from this engine (serpentine belt, tins and such)
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

nice!!..
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Thanks. I hope it turns out nice haha.
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

So the transmission is clean and ready for paint (was rebuilt 2 years ago). The engine is completely apart with the normal garbage in the can. The case and heads will be dropped off at the machine shop tomorrow for a checkup and soda blasting...

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Looks like a great project! Can't wait to see the progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

"Looks like a great project! Can't wait to see the progress."
x2!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Kadrons may not be much cheaper than Webers unless you already have them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: