Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas station problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Gas station problem Reply with quote

Wondering if this is a common condition I will just have to deal with.

I am a new westy owner and found that fueling up at the gas station requires a lot more attention. Filling the tank doesn't seem to trip the pump handle to stop the fueling process automatically and inevitably a whole bunch of fuel spits out at the end. Once it even ejected the handle and sprayed fuel everywhere. Am I doing it wrong and I need to adjust how I do fill ups (I've been doing it for 30 years) or is there a fix?

thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

Ah!
The "Burp"

Yes, you can fix it!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Find the FAQ section at the top of the Vanagon section, MANY of your questions will have links to answers.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

This place is a damn treasure. Thank you.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

I have always been able to defeat the tendency to burp out by lifting the handle as much as possible, forcing the end of the nozzle against the lower part of the fill tube.

Harder to do in California (and elsewhere) that uses those big boots on the nozzle.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Ah!
The "Burp"

Yes, you can fix it!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Find the FAQ section at the top of the Vanagon section, MANY of your questions will have links to answers.

Dave
Wouldn't the '91 have the ping pong ball valve at the end of the filler neck already? Or is that not a certain thing for the late Model Vanagons? Confused
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

A '91 should have the ping pong ball in the end of the tube. They do occasionally fall out, though. The tube could also have been swapped to an earlier one for some reason. Regardless, I would pull the tube out and investigate whether or not the stock check valve is in place and functional.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
A '91 should have the ping pong ball in the end of the tube. They do occasionally fall out, though.

The ball was found rolling around my '90's fuel tank when removed for a reseal. Reinstalled it into its plastic cage and only ever use the slowest fill setting on the nozzle.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

Asked, AND Answered.... Laughing - Good Lord, the Valve/Ball can FALL OUT??? !!!!! Ah, these Vanagons... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gas station problem Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Good Lord, the Valve/Ball can FALL OUT??? !!!!!

I wouldn't say that it falls out; more like forced out, hence the reason I use the slow nozzle setting, particularly when the tank is nearly empty.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: