Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invincitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Any idea why gas drips out of main nozzle at idle? It dies when coming to a stop and at other times. I first noticed it at idle when the carb was making a noise, and what it was is drops of fuel hitting the throttle plate, about one every second. Should gas drip out of the main nozzle at idle? Could this be why it stalls? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Also, are there check balls in this carb that I should check for? I don’t recall there being any

Ps I am fairly knowledgeable in VWs and have adjusted valves, idle, timing, dwell, etc but this one stumps me
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle Reply with quote

Your carb fuel bowl is overflowing.
The float and inlet valve are meant to maintain the proper fuel level in the fuel bowl. It should be kept at a height just below the point where it would flow out the nozzle in the throat. This is normally 3/4" from the top edge of the bowl.

When the air flow down the carb increases (as engine rpms increase) the lower pressure in the venturi of the carb throat causes the higher atmospheric air pressure to press down on the fuel in the bowl. This pushes the fuel out the nozzle to support the higher demand for fuel at higher rpms.

It sounds like your fuel bowl is overflowing at idle. This can be caused by incorrectly setting the inlet valve height by using the wrong size gasket between the valve and the top cover of the carb.
Another thing that can cause too high a fuel level is the float has become saturated or filled with fuel.
Lastly, too much fuel pressure at the carb inlet can overpower the float+inlet valve. You only need 2-3psi of fuel pressure for a Solex PICT carb. The stock rating of ~5psi is too much. Add a regulator to reduce the pressure. If you have a stock mechanical pump you add gaskets below the pump to reduce the pressure.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle Reply with quote

Carb rebuild instructions www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html

Carburetor rebuild instruction showing steel balls Extracting screw (tail light screw) is 4mm x 0.7mm x 82mm long, cut off locating part of the tail light screw http://1967beetle.com/carburetor-rebuild/
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Invincitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I'll check the float level and make it 3/4" below rim. right now, I think it is more like 3/8" but I'll check and get a thicker washer under the floats needle valve. Yes! I have gaskets under the stock fuel pump! good suggestion!. And thanks for the link to the check balls in the carb. I was just reading that from somebody else post! Thanks again!
Invincitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle Reply with quote

I checked the flit level and it looks fine. The drip coming out of the main nozzle is so much that I can turn down and bottom out the mixture screw AND the air bypass screw and it will still run lol. Maybe the main jet unscrewed. I’ll check it out soon. I have a 30 pict that I wanna try.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 34 pict 3 leaks out of main nozzle at idle Reply with quote

If it just started happening- check for dirt in ur needle valve preventing it from closing completely.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: