Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex carbs question - wiring
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Clark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Solex carbs question - wiring Reply with quote

Hi

The solenoid controlled idling jet on the side of the carbs - do I just wire them up to the + on the coil / piggy back them off the + off the choke?

Cheers
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, here is a link to a wiring diagram

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_1600_66.jpg
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brush the wires on the solenoids to see if you can hear them clicking open/closed.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Clark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

Guys

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
yes, here is a link to a wiring diagram

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_1600_66.jpg

O1, O2, O3, and O4 in the diagram.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually trying to get mine hooked up correctly as well.

The left carb has two terminals on the choke. Is one of these supposed to lead to the right choke/idling jet? Or do you run a separate wire from the coil to the right carb as it indicates in the diagram?

Thanks
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a connection doubler that a PO has installed.
I usually daisy chain from the coil to the choke, to the magnetic cut off, on each side.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Sounds like you have a connection doubler that a PO has installed.
I usually daisy chain from the coil to the choke, to the magnetic cut off, on each side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry kind of blurry..........but this is my left Carb, it is a 32PDSIT out of a 67 fastback. Does this look right? Either one of these connections to the coil and then the other to the right carb?

I also cannot find
Quote:
The solenoid controlled idling jet on the side of the carbs
Should that be on mine? I cannot find a terminal anywhere back there Crying or Very sad
trainwreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit up gene berg industries if you want to bypass the electrical issue. Mechanical idle cut offs are cheap & I dont know of any draw-backs to them. Just my uneducated two cents
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:

Sorry kind of blurry..........but this is my left Carb, it is a 32PDSIT out of a 67 fastback. Does this look right? Either one of these connections to the coil and then the other to the right carb?

I also cannot find
Quote:
The solenoid controlled idling jet on the side of the carbs
Should that be on mine? I cannot find a terminal anywhere back there Crying or Very sad

I've never seen a choke cover like that before. Most of them that I've seen only have the spade connector on them. I don't know what connects to where on that one, maybe a ground. Think

If you can't find a spade terminal on the idle cut off jet, it most likely was broken off (either by you, or the PO). If it was like that when you got it, unscrew it it, and see if the end is still there. I'm pretty sure Russ has a couple of those out in the shop, but he'd probably have to test them first. You can get new ones from CIP, or maybe even Appletree (call them first to see if they have any) if you need one. You could always go to the non-electric version like the above poster mentioned. I've got them in my 65 Notch, and they've been in there for years.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Solex's don't have the "sausage shaped" electric solenoids sticking out horizontally from the carburetor body.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the tips, I'll try to figure it out. Biggest problem is that I'm quite uneducated when it comes to carbs. What does the idle cutoff jet do? Would the previous owner have taken it off for a reason?

I think I took some pics of the engine before I tore it apart. Hopefully I can track them down somewhere and make out how it was hooked up.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electric idle jets, were to shut off fuel in the idle circuits when you turned the key off.
Starting in about 1966, VW started installing them in all of their cars, because with the increase in engine performance, they were also getting hotter combustion chambers.
This led to what is call dieseling when you shut the engine off. The combustion chambers would be hot enough, that incoming fuel would ignite from just the heat.
So, shut off the fuel, shut off the engine.

19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The electric idle jets, were to shut off fuel in the idle circuits when you turned the key off.
Starting in about 1966, VW started installing them in all of their cars, because with the increase in engine performance, they were also getting hotter combustion chambers.
This led to what is call dieseling when you shut the engine off. The combustion chambers would be hot enough, that incoming fuel would ignite from just the heat.
So, shut off the fuel, shut off the engine.

Makes sense Russ, thanks! Do you think my 67 should definitley have these cutoff jets? I suppose the PO could have also put older carbs on. I'll get a mirror out and if necessary take the carb off again and check it out.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not have them, and have a problems with dieseling/run-on, if it is not bad enough, just let the clutch out to kill the engine.
That is what we did before the electric cut-offs.

19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
If you do not have them, and have a problems with dieseling/run-on, if it is not bad enough, just let the clutch out to kill the engine.
That is what we did before the electric cut-offs.

Thanks for the tip Russ. I ran my Fastback a couple years before I took it all apart but I can't remember how it shut off. I don't really recall any excessive dieseling though, my old Chrysler Horizon however, that would diesel for close to a minute after I shut it off Laughing ahhh, good times........good times.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 67 square had electric solenoids. One was bad and it loped bad at part throttle. We robbed a solenoid off a Bug to get it running sweet!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: