Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do you replace out side window scrapers?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw72hippy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: how do you replace out side window scrapers? Reply with quote

door scrapers are shot and was wondering how hard it is to replace them with new chrome trim
jeepinoffroad04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

i did a one piece window on my last car, and they were a "fun" project lol.. i'm changing the ones on my new project w/ all standard parts and i'm not looking forward to it..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remove the felt channel and vent window.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: window Reply with quote

just did both my doors on the 68. figure about 2-3hrs per door taking your time. check your inner scrapers, vent wing seal and flapper while youre there. easiest to replace all at once. there is a definate order to the removal and replacement of these parts.
jhvw1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go slow and take note of order of parts for sure. I cut the hell out of my hands replacing clips for my felt and other things..tiny work area. It was a good time to clean my window regulators and get them greased up and working like new.
Jipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this and got half of the chrome installed before tweaking the chrome and ripping it out in frustration. Jammed my cuticles all up and had bloody fingers. I realized that I'm not built for small detail work like that and will be paying someone to do it for me, which is a bummer but it's ether try again and ruin another $60 thing or spend the replacement money on a pro.
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad. It took me a full day to do mine, and a hole in the wall from a loose hammer. Not a fun job.
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine this winter. If you don't mind shredding your fingers on sharp surfaces and pointy things jabbing you its not bad. Laughing as somebody else mentioned, there is an order to the operations.

I started by stripping the entire door down to the shell, but I was doing body work and paint. with the door panel off you can see the window regulator and the guts of the latch and window winder. with the window rolled all the way down you can get at the scraper but its easier to take the window glass out for this stuff.

this link is for fixing up the regulator but its a great help! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335018

from the point that the vent wing is tilted you can remove it by releasing the bolt holding it to the door (REAL pain without goofing up the paint). once that is out you can rip out the felt channel which goes down into the door a ways. its held in with very sharp pointy clips which are slip-clipped into the door. once this is out you can remove your scrapers. they are held in place with little push fasteners that expand. you will probably break a couple off taking the scrapers out. don't forget to remove them before you try to put the new ones in!!

fitting the new stuff is not really that easy. take your time or you'll break the new parts! I kick my butt for not taking step by step pictures, but I was so frustrated that I was trying to not punch dents into the doors. Laughing

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
treedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use two or three layers of tape on the door when removing/replacing the vent window, or you will mess up your paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: