Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Runny paint, need help with a fix
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

I know people would take the bus back to the paint shop to fix, ain't happening. Bus isn't running yet, so I need to fix myself. Can I wet sand with 2000 grit? Use a higher grit? I didn't see a thread on this subject, unless i missed it. Any tips would be appreciated. Brick wall Brick wall
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

you paid good money to have it done right, yet another shop letting sub standard work leave the shop without an iota of quality control....

After explaining your delima I would call and email the pictures to the shop and insist they have their color sander come out and complete the job correctly.. if they refuse I would clearly let them know you intend to get estimates from a professional to complete the job and have every intention of back charging them....

Yeah it sounds extreme but with the lack of customer service people show nowadays you have to play hardball, it's the principal here, I don't care where it was painted this job should never been placed in your hands until it was done...

but if you decide to let a shop get away with substandard work and do it yourself, you relieve them of their liability and are stuck with any damage you cause doing it yourself... it can be colour sanded if it's a single stage paint but you will likely burn through.. the "bats" (drips) are excessive..... it's not worth your time/effort to take it back but it should be worth their reputation to have a mobile shop fix it.... if you don't have the touch up paint and let's say hypothetically the paint can't be matched perfectly I would also let them know they could be liable for a complete respray if they don't handle it...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

Is it single stage or base coat/clear coat? Some single stage paints color can rise to the top. When you have to remove that thick of a run, it can discolor the paint color. It happened to me with a $500 dollar a gallon quality paint. I had to repaint the entire panel.

If it's the clear coat that ran that bad, you "may" be able to sand it flat again "if" those runs are the clear only.

If you don't want to hold whoever did that poor work accountable to fix it correctly by sanding the entire dash down and repainting it, you can try to flatten it using 400 wet/dry paper that's soaked in water. Once it's close to being flat, start going up in grit and finish with 1500, 2000 grit.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

waste of time. d/a it and re-spray the whole dash

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
you paid good money to have it done right, yet another shop letting sub standard work leave the shop without an iota of quality control....

After explaining your delima I would call and email the pictures to the shop and insist they have their color sander come out and complete the job correctly.. if they refuse I would clearly let them know you intend to get estimates from a professional to complete the job and have every intention of back charging them....

Yeah it sounds extreme but with the lack of customer service people show nowadays you have to play hardball, it's the principal here, I don't care where it was painted this job should never been placed in your hands until it was done...

I totally agree with you. Had this paint job done at Maaco:( By the time I spent money for metal and body work, I could only afford Maaco. These guys were great to work with, but when I started mentioning flaws, they told me "we don't do perfect". I wonder if Maaco corporate agrees with that statement? What about just making the customer happy?! Supposedly there is a 5 year warranty. This bus will be going back, eventually. Need to get it running and road worthy. Thanks, Brian

but if you decide to let a shop get away with substandard work and do it yourself, you relieve them of their liability and are stuck with any damage you cause doing it yourself... it can be colour sanded if it's a single stage paint but you will likely burn through.. the "bats" (drips) are excessive..... it's not worth your time/effort to take it back but it should be worth their reputation to have a mobile shop fix it.... if you don't have the touch up paint and let's say hypothetically the paint can't be matched perfectly I would also let them know they could be liable for a complete respray if they don't handle it...

missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Is it single stage or base coat/clear coat? Some single stage paints color can rise to the top. When you have to remove that thick of a run, it can discolor the paint color. It happened to me with a $500 dollar a gallon quality paint. I had to repaint the entire panel.

If it's the clear coat that ran that bad, you "may" be able to sand it flat again "if" those runs are the clear only.

If you don't want to hold whoever did that poor work accountable to fix it correctly by sanding the entire dash down and repainting it, you can try to flatten it using 400 wet/dry paper that's soaked in water. Once it's close to being flat, start going up in grit and finish with 1500, 2000 grit.

It's a single stage paint job and will more than likely will not mess with it myself. Need to get it back to shop for a fix or have someone come to my house to fix. After my dealings with this particular Maaco location, I'm thinking this will be a struggle. Thanks for chiming in. Brian
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:

I totally agree with you. Had this paint job done at Maaco:( By the time I spent money for metal and body work, I could only afford Maaco. These guys were great to work with, but when I started mentioning flaws, they told me "we don't do perfect". I wonder if Maaco corporate agrees with that statement? What about just making the customer happy?! Supposedly there is a 5 year warranty. This bus will be going back, eventually. Need to get it running and road worthy. Thanks, Brian
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

I own a maaco in md and nothing ever leaves my shop like that or even close. We take our work very seriously and we fight hard everyday to overcome shops that do work like this.Take it back. My syncro and Doka I painted at my shop. Check my threads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6552474
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

Casey.. Maybe you could PM the OP some contact info to someone in franchise marketing and or quality control... it's shops like this that give your franchise a bad name.... I had a buddy get screwed by the one in Riverside, CA .. paid like 5K to have his 69 Nova orange peeled... 6 foot job at best, couldn't believe he took it home... I was embarrassed for him...

must be hard to own a franchise paint shop that you take pride in and see other franchises destroying the name....
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

Franchises are just that unfortunately. Since all the centers are privately owned the quality can differ from location to location. Honestly I cant blame Maaco, its the center owners that put out the bad results or hire the wrong people unfortunately. I choose to beat to my own drum at this location. I dont paint cars for $299. I give people options and try ro inform them whats the right way to do the job and what the downfalls are if they choose to leave items on the car when painting. Truthfully its not maaco its the industry. You can go to five different bodyshops and the quality will be different from location to location. I see really bad work coming in from the dealers and local shops daily. You have to do your research before using any shop. Get to know them. Talk to previous customers. Read the reviews. Pm me if I can help at all.

To the op thats unacceptable for any shop and I couldn't make that happen with my eyes closed, drunk holding a spray gun. They hammered the paint. Runs are part of the business but that's just ridiculous right there.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

I assume that they did multiple passes to get all the angles of the louvers with out waiting until it was tacky. Good coverage though. Evil or Very Mad
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

Whomever painted it surely is not a painter.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

missmybus wrote:
I could only afford Maaco. These guys were great to work with, but when I started mentioning flaws, they told me "we don't do perfect". I wonder if Maaco corporate agrees with that statement? What about just making the customer happy?! Supposedly there is a 5 year warranty. This bus will be going back, eventually. Need to get it running and road worthy. Thanks, Brian

looks like when the president of MACCO went on Undercover Boss and promised changes, it didn't happen.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_boss/photos/1003118/the-maaco-boss-goes-under-the-hood/
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
missmybus wrote:
I could only afford Maaco. These guys were great to work with, but when I started mentioning flaws, they told me "we don't do perfect". I wonder if Maaco corporate agrees with that statement? What about just making the customer happy?! Supposedly there is a 5 year warranty. This bus will be going back, eventually. Need to get it running and road worthy. Thanks, Brian

looks like when the president of MACCO went on Undercover Boss and promised changes, it didn't happen.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_boss/photos/1003118/the-maaco-boss-goes-under-the-hood/

You do realize maaco paints over a million cars a year, surely there will be some bad jobs. Don't judge the business based on this shop. Plenty of other shops do the same junk that are not maaco. It's like a restaurant chain not all are making the food just right and have good reviews and treat there customers the same as the location down the street does. Maaco has 500+ shops. There are good and bad in everything. Do your research before just dropping your car. These guys obviously need to fix it.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
missmybus wrote:

You do realize maaco paints over a million cars a year, surely there will be some bad jobs. Don't judge the business based on this shop. Plenty of other shops do the same junk that are not maaco. It's like a restaurant chain not all are making the food just right and have good reviews and treat there customers the same as the location down the street does. Maaco has 500+ shops. There are good and bad in everything. Do your research before just dropping your car. These guys obviously need to fix it.

I agree with this. In any large business with franchises, there's going to be good ones and others that are not. I've dealt with a few Macco owners. Some are good and want to do the best job they can for the price point of the job. Others simply needed to get out of the business. They didn't care.

Macco is known for hiring new to the autobody and painting business employees. Many just out of a tech school. As such, they are able to pay less in wages to those green employees to meet the low prices charged for some of the work. There's nothing wrong with that if the shop has good oversight on the quality of work they are doing. Everyone has to learn somewhere. Clearly in this case, that owner of that Macco was asleep at the wheel to let that bus leave with that ridiculous run on the dash.

OP, absolutely take it back and have them fix it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
DencherD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

Hello,I just went through this.I had a friend help with getting my long panel sprayed.Paint laid down a little heavy and I ended up with some nasty drips.The best technique that I found was to take a straight razor blade and scratch or flatn the drip as flat as you can.Then wet sand with 1000 grit and then 1200 grit and so on till you end up with your desired finish.Also My paint was dove blue single stage and did leave a little discoloration,so I got my panel flat and am respraying it again.The white you have may not be so bad.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

I'm sorry - I am a rank amateur painter and yet I paint a whole lot better than that! Maaco should fix it.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

Being a painter myself. God... I am glad I don't have to fix that.

Fixable - black and some 800 grit to knock it down - then go up to 2500 and buff.. Fixable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

missmybus wrote:
I know people would take the bus back to the paint shop to fix, ain't happening. Bus isn't running yet, so I need to fix myself. Can I wet sand with 2000 grit? Use a higher grit? I didn't see a thread on this subject, unless i missed it. Any tips would be appreciated. Brick wall Brick wall

WTH! Twisted Evil I just did my first paint job on my '64 and even I can do better than that!

That is horrible!

Sorry about your experience.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Runny paint, need help with a fix Reply with quote

they could have blended the runs while they where wet, typical on door jams etc... just chase the runs down with air and more paint... cut the bats off color sand and you're good... but they suck at life so........... Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: