Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tar board
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellow72kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: tar board Reply with quote

I have a 72 ghia and we just repainted the engine area i just started to put the car back together when i came to the conclusion that my original tar board is ugly and does not see to fit in the new looking engine area. so i have looked for new tar board and have found that west coast metric has a good looking board and so does KGPR. So my question is: What is a better company and who has a better product? Has any one gotten tar board for either company?

Just looking for a little advice on this one.

I like to do things right the first time.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the show tar board from KGPR and it looks and fits very well. I have also bought the WCM product a few years ago and it was made of gray foam, not really tar board at all
donmurray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to leave mine off, and paint it all with Hammer Tone to help hide some minor bumps and such. Cleaning up the whole engine compartment by removing all the little bend tabs that hold the old tarboard and wires. I plan on putting some newer sound deadening material on the inside of the firewall and other areas in back that I can get to. I may have more noise from back there, but after spending so much work and $ on new HP, I couldn't tolerate that old tarboard look.
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

The side panel solution that some use is to make metal panels that fit the original flanges sticking up from the fender well. I'm going to try some aluminum ones mounted on frames/brackets that are pop rivited to the flanges. Haven't decided if the aluminum panels will be painted or polished.
bunkington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the waffle pattern from KGPR, I like the way it looks a lot more than the regular tar boards, but it is much less stiff than the factory tar boards, and I think it needs some extra help securing it to the firewall (more than just the tabs) to avoid being sucked into the fan.
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the more expensive tar board from KGPR and it fits really well:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellow72kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the more expensive tar board from KGPR fairly thick and more rigid i have read that a lot of this replacement tar board if not secured with more then the tabs will get sucked into your fan

thanx for all the help everyone Very Happy
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Ghia it had shag carpet in the engine compartment instead of tarboard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rayandraka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new to me Ghia had some kind of felt topped with an aluminized mylar glued to the engine side of the firewall. Bad idea; the felt separated internally so that it was getting sucked against the fan inlet, and I suspect the wool stuff the felt is made out of would be really good at holding moisture if it got wet. I took it off, but am now faced with a gluey mess on the firewall that I either need to clean off or cover up somehow. Fortunately, I noticed the engine overheating and investigated the cause quickly. The engine doesn't seem to have suffered any real damage.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow72kg, the show tar board from KGPR is quite ridgid and stays in place very well. the down side, is that it is hard to 'roll' around the wheel wells.
I like it.
Ian G
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, in the lower shot, of , you really cleaned up the engine compartment- even hid the carbs! Wink

Ray, I realize your Ghia does not seem to have any of its original padding. If you can scrounge up some used pieces, or use some of the pieces from the "better KGPR" kit, then you can also get very good results on the flat pieces (firewall and sides) by gluing ROOFING PAPER to the pieces. Just make sure you use plenty of contact glue so that the paper does not lift off the backing and get into the engine fan like yours did.
yellow72kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: installation Reply with quote

So i went with KGPR sound board for my 72 does anyone have a good installation procedure to get these things in right. it does not seem to be the easiest thing in the world. as for the sides does the small thin peace go to the inside or towards the engine?

any other help would be awesome

thanks
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: engine compartment tar boards Reply with quote

I know it has been quite a while since you posted this topic, but did you get any more help on how to install the tar boards? If yes, what/where?

My situation seems near to yours (as it was) and I am at a loss as to the correct installation: wires in front or behind the tar board?, bend/cut pieces to fit (mostly side pieces)?, where do the two thin pieces go?, shiny side out (can be seen when opening the lid) or in (touching the metal)?, kit comes with seven pieces but says five?, e.g.

Would really like to see a video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post pics maybe someone can help you out.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did mine.

The thin pieces, which I'm guessing are the same as mine, go into the sides in the rear section of the guard (between the tail lights and wheel tub) adding support to the heavier tar board.

Wires are hidden behind the tar board wherever possible.

Nicholas
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic and explanation for the thin pieces and wires. Your installation, and this view of your ghia look very good. Are there more pics in the gallery?

The tar boards I bought are fairly rigid and may not need support from the thin pieces but, I will install them regardless.

When I am finished installing the tar boards, I plan to post a summary of this activity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Are there more pics in the gallery?

Sorry that's the only pic of that in the gallery, but have a look anyway. You might try my resto thread where I used that same picture there is a description of what I did to get it in place. Basically I used a heat gun to melt the tarboard onto the wheel tubs so it would stick in place.

Nicholas
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
This is how I did mine.

Off topic, sorry Rolling Eyes
Nicholas, you was quiet for long time in you progress! Please update your restoration topic?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to put my tacky original tarboard back but I'm going to cover the back of the engine compartment and the wheel wells with removable steel or aluminium covers. I made the templates this morning.

My panelbeater says he has a machine that can copy the ribbed pattern of the body metal of the firewall at the back or the engine.

I'm doing this because I want to tidy up the engine bay while retaining the original parts for the day I may have to prove the originality of the car and its components.
usroute66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much appreciate all inputs.
My methods:
1- warmed the wheel well pieces in the sun, rolled them to virtually fit the well, put rubber bands on them to hold the shape overnight, next morning the rolled shape stayed, installed.
2- trimmed the flat piece (behind the doghouse), straightened/repainted the tabs, should fit nicely now.
3- trimmed side pieces (taillight housing was interfering with portions of the tar board). Not installed yet but will be shortly.

May put more estheticly pleasing cover material over the tar board. Not sure what that could be.

Thanks to all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: