Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 GTI remove battery cable without memory saver?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnit0017
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: 2003 GTI remove battery cable without memory saver? Reply with quote

Greetings, is erasing the error codes using a scanner the same as re-programming the ECM? Haynes Repair Manual says to use a plug in memory saving device so that defaults values in the ECM memory will not be lost. I removed the battery cables without using a memory saver. Is there a solution to this problem or is it dealer issue to program lost ECM memory information?
po7g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all they mean is there are some basic setting in the ecm and when you disconnect the battery you lose those values and they will reset them self after about 10 miles of driving. The only thing you may need to go to the dealer if you have a problem is to get your throttle valve basic setting reset
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burnit0017
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Greetings, thanks for the heads up. Can you suggest any links for more info on the subject? Thanks again and best regards.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 GTI remove battery cable without memory saver? Reply with quote

Burnit0017 wrote:
Greetings, is erasing the error codes using a scanner the same as re-programming the ECM?

No; clearing fault codes using a code reader clears only the fault codes.

Burnit0017 wrote:
Haynes Repair Manual says to use a plug in memory saving device so that defaults values in the ECM memory will not be lost. I removed the battery cables without using a memory saver. Is there a solution to this problem or is it dealer issue to program lost ECM memory information?

I've changed the battery in my '00 Jetta more times than I care to mention, without using any "memory saver". The only things this affects, as already said, are the basic settings. Three drive cycles and those basic settings are restored (if they should happen to have been lost). You shouldn't notice anything other than the radio entering "safe mode" (have the radio security code handy; although, I've never had the radio go into "safe mode"), and the one-touch window feature being gone, but that is easily restored:
1) Put key in door lock with a window down.
2) Turn the key to lock the car and hold the key in that position until the window closes all the way.
3) Repeat step two, but to unlock the car.
Done.

FWIW, the Bentley Service Manual (the proper and factory manual for VWs) says nothing about connecting a memory saver device when disconnecting/replacing the battery.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burnit0017
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Installed O2 Reply with quote

Greetings, thanks for the heads up. I had to install a new O2 sensor and clear the error code. Auto is running great. I am glad to hear that I do not have to give the deal a $100.00 for something the car's ECM will do itself. Thanks again and best regards
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 GTI remove battery cable without memory saver? Reply with quote

Trying to get my 03 Gti out of limp mode with codes P0321 and P0322(have cleared the codes would run until restart???) it comes up as crank shaft position sensor but it has been replaced and the code keeps coming up after fighting to get it running, Keys are all recoded and work well??? would getting another new one help or is this a job for VAG shop??? any clues?
Thanks
Sam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: