Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 54 european deluxe from start to finish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello all, more progress on the 54 front end, spare tire well and front facia. Pictures below, enjoy. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for following.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Now that the nose metal has been repaired I can install an original replacement hood release tube back in the car.

Nose now complete. Very Happy

Now on to repairing the metal around the lower door mounts.

Stay tuned.
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Repairs to drivers door A pillar complete, I used a replacement part for the hole portion, but made my own part for the bottom of the post pics attached. Keep on watching.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Started repairing lower portion of drivers side fwd. firewall. It was mostly rotted out. Replacement piece not the best but turned out alright with work.

Next up install the drivers door.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Back from the Great Canadian VW show in Vancouver was inspired to get the drivers door installed. Still some adjusting to do but fits pretty good.

Stay tuned, Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Started working on right/ passenger side now. Wanted to fix the other side of the forward firewall first then work on the A pillar. So here are the pics of the right side fix.

Next up the passenger lower A pillar.

Stay tuned,

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Looks great Mike. Your thread is going to be a huge help as I have a lot of similar rust repair on my 54. Keep up the good work!
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Brendal20, I think that is what theSamba is supposed to be all about. I came here to learn from others, and I will pass on what I have learned.

Thanks again, Very Happy

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey what primer are you using to seal the areas you repair?
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello Brendall 20, the primer is a self etching primer I get from Napa auto parts, don't know if you have Napa in the US? They have green and grey seem to run out of the one color regularly thus the patchwork. Will have to sand it all and do a proper filler primer before paint anyway.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I just realized that your heater channels are bolted to those cross pieces on that cool body dolly. That plus the welded-on braces means that nothing is going to wander out of position, eh? Those darn tin-worms........undoing their dastardly deeds is a true test of patience.....but you are getting there!!

H.
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello Zwitterkafer, good to hear from you. Yes I made the body dolly a while ago based on drawings on theSamba, although I have modded it a few times. The whole cradle is level and the forward bolts where the body attaches to the beam and the aft wheel well attach bolts are bolted to the cross beam. I welded in the braces prior to originally removing the doors from the body, and added the cross beams which do bolt into the heater channels in 4 spots on each side. I am working on mounting both doors after carrying out the necessary repairs to the A pillars and forward firewall which are almost complete. With both doors on and adjusted prior to finally cutting off the old rotted heater channels, one at a time, I should Rolling Eyes hopefully not have anything move while I replace the channels. Plus with the bolt positions on the bottom of those beams it should line up the channels with the original holes, again I hope. I know there may have been an easier way, but it should pay off with the final fit. With me having moved a "few" times, this was the best way to keep everything lined up. Plus it's all on wheels so easy to move around.

Sorry long winded, glad your still with me. Went to the show in Vancouver last week, was great plus saw two Zwitters there and thought of you. I will have to send you the pics.

Take care, Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

More work on the passenger side A pillar. Most of the bottom end by the bolts and around the corner was rotted. So you can see some improvements in the pic. The outside to go next. Enjoy the pics.

Mike

Stay tuned, cheers😎

54 European Sedan deluxe
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

You're cruising right along now - nice work!

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Joey, you were right the welding gets easier as I go.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Carrying on with the passenger A pillar repairs. I had to make my own exterior skin piece to match the multiple angled surfaces. Then once that was welded on I had to make a piece for the bottom, then weld it all together and finish it. I am improving at welding, but a small amount of top quality body filler fixes my welding imperfections. Then the final etch primer coat.

Enjoy the pics,

Cheers, Mike

Next up mounting the passenger door Very Happy

54 European Sedan deluxe
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Applause Great work as always.
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Brendel20

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello all, so I had two door retention rods, one shorter than the other. I know I removed them from this car but couldn't remember which from where. But to me it made sense that the longer rod should be on the passenger side for ease of entrance from this side so put the shorter one on the drivers side.

Second problem I was missing the rod attachment bracket for the passenger side. After turning my removed parts bins inside out I came to the conclusion that I lost it. So I decided to make my own copying the original from the drivers side. Using a paper template and measurements I think it turned out well.

Once this was made, I was finally able to install and adjust the passenger side door.

And finally sighting down both doors I think the door and body lines look pretty good, considering the repairs I have made so far on the body and the doors.

Next up time to cut away the first heater channel, stand by. Rolling Eyes

Cheers, Mike

Cheers

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

See anything missing?

Now to put the new one in!

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 23

Jump to: