Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 54 european deluxe from start to finish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks motofly196. Have to keep the fluids flowing while I work on the body of the car. You aren't the first person to ask about my body build cart. Yes it was purpose built to hold the body steady, stable and level for the body repairs, is fully moveable on large castering wheels and the pan does roll underneath with the seats and steering wheel attached. I designed it this way for storage space and also have used this rig to move a couple of times on a uhaul truck and has never failed me. I will have to take better photos and dimensions for those who are interested.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Mike! I too am limited on space in my working area. I'm debating making the normal low roll around body cart, but when I saw yours, I think that would fit the bill much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

I will get back with pictures and dimensions of the body cart, but had a few pics of the prep work underway, to clear rusty, compromised metal from around where the left hand heater channel will go. Soon to install the new one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

After a number of pre installation repairs to the body attach points for the left hand heater channel it is finally in place. Now starts the welding and metal skin replacement.

Will be posting body cart dimensions and pics tomorrow.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Ok folks for all those who were interested in the design and dimensions of my body cart, I am attaching photos and a drawing. It is designed so that the body sits totally level front to back and side to side. It is bolted to the fwd 2x6 frame with two lag bolts and washers using the fwd body to beam attach points. The aft two body to beam attach bolts are attached similarly. The two cross 2x4's fit perfectly to the underside of the heater channel, and I have bolted them to the channel in 4 places per side using metal brackets. The cart height is designed so that a standard height complete pan will roll underneath it for space saving.

Hope this helps.
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks for all the pictures and diagram Mike!!! That's awesome!
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, it's a good design. What are the 2 extensions on the front of the cart? (Bumpers of some sort?)
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Your very welcome motofly196 and Zwitterkafer. As you know I have moved a few times during the restauration. Those additional pieces at the front line up perfectly with the lower wood rail at the front wall of the box on the 26' uhaul moving truck. This prevents the front of the body from contacting the forward wall. I would then strap the cart in the box in three locations so it wouldn't move. Then I would roll the pan in underneath and strap it in. Has held up well.

If anyone needs further info on the cart or anything else on here feel free to ask. I am no expert but I do know how I have overcome the hurdles. By the way, I will have this cart for sale shortly I hope if anyone is interested.

Back to the heater channel install.

Cheers, Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

As promised I am back on the drivers side heater channel install. As I did on the right side, I decided to weld and clean up the A pillar and forward firewall attachments first. The following pics show the result. Just the forward skin to be replaced up front now.

So now I decided to move to the back end of the heater channel and will start with the exterior skin, for no particular reason, it was just there. Here is the first fitting pics.

Stay tuned as we get closer to completion.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

54bug'n wrote:
Your very welcome motofly196 and Zwitterkafer. As you know I have moved a few times during the restauration. Those additional pieces at the front line up perfectly with the lower wood rail at the front wall of the box on the 26' uhaul moving truck. This prevents the front of the body from contacting the forward wall. I would then strap the cart in the box in three locations so it wouldn't move. Then I would roll the pan in underneath and strap it in. Has held up well.

If anyone needs further info on the cart or anything else on here feel free to ask. I am no expert but I do know how I have overcome the hurdles. By the way, I will have this cart for sale shortly I hope if anyone is interested.

Back to the heater channel install.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, Does the pan roll underneath of it?
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hi Tim, yes as I said the pan rolls underneath the whole thing, even with the hubcaps on. One thing to note, I added two cross support vertical 2 x 4's under the horizontal 2x4's that support the heater channels (you can see in the pics) when I went to change the heater channels and have not tried the pan underneath with these added but I think it will still fit.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Ok folks so I cleaned up and welded the aft outer skin in place which wraps around half way into the door opening. A couple of pictures attached pre cleanup, its solid anyway.

Post clean up pics to come.
Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey Tim was looking for a photo for proof pan fits underneath the cart I built, finally found one.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Mike,
Your inspiring me to get out in the garage!. If you where still up here I would get that cart for my project. It must save the back, getting the shell up to a nice working height. Very Happy Thanks for some time with dimensions.

Kevin
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks volksartist. Yes you are correct in that another positive to having the body up that high is less time bending or crouching over. Hope it is of help to anyone wanting to try to build one of these carts.

So I finished the outer skin install that I took pictures of above. Pics attached.

So on to the next step. Outer skin aft end of the heater channel needs replacing. Pics attached below. Stay tuned for the post weld in.

Cheers, Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Looking good, Mike.

Here my thread on my splitty.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666446

I'm just going over the bus making sure all is good. Haven't found any major problems yet. I'll do the little bit of welding in the spring. Should take about a day...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey Joey, thanks man means a lot.

I am following your build thread now, the bus looks awesome, keep up the updates.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Ok all, welded and cleaned up the welds a bit, still have some final cleanup and priming to do but here's an interim pic.

So part of why I'm waiting for the finishing on this part is because the inner skin and pan seal ledge need to be replaced so trying to make it out of one piece. Here is the paper template.

And here is the steel piece final fit, I even added the crease in the pan seal lip.

Final weld and cleanup to go.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

So I got some more work done on the back end of the drivers side heater channel rotted away attach points, finishing off the back external and interior areas. Check out the photos below.

And here is comparison before and after.

Only two pieces left, a thin strip inside half way up the top of the heater channel to the inside B pillar door frame similar to the one I did on the other side, but smaller. And finally the exterior font skin. So stay tuned for the final steps on the body. Very Happy

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

A+ ... You are making such quick progress. Keep it up. Great work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: