Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 54 european deluxe from start to finish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Brendel20, finally making good progress after a number of years with little.

Getting exciting now.
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Are you still going to do the rag top graft?

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey Joey,

No, decided to keep it original as possible. Sold the 3 fold roof section a while ago.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

54bug'n wrote:
Hey Joey,

No, decided to keep it original as possible. Sold the 3 fold roof section a while ago.

Cheers,
Mike

I would have done the same.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Last repair on the drivers side rear interior of the heater channel.

First the hole to repair.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The paper template.

The steel piece before final fit.

The final rear end repair.

Installation of the original heater muffler.

And the heater muffler cover reinstalled.

Rear end repairs all complete, Very Happy Laughing Shocked

And the before and after of the interior repairs.

I am pretty stoked, with only one repair on the body to go. Very Happy

Stay tuned
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

FYI, Gersen heater channels are rock solid and fit beautifully! Only change I had to make on both, was to shorten the back end of the carpet attach strip by 3/4". Other than that two thumbs up Applause

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Ok last repair on the body, front wheel well rusted out area above the heater channel. The area in question, yes weird cut out, but keeping the most original steel as possible.

Here is the steel piece first fitting after using a paper template again.

Almost ready to weld in.

Post weld pre cleanup, it's good and strong now.

Stay tuned for clean up final pic, and steel bracing rods removal from the inside.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

So the inside of the front wheel well final repair is done, pic attached.

Just finishing up the exterior then I will attach a pic as well.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Outside left front wheel well complete! This means the metal repair on the body is complete. Front hood and fenders next.

Here are the pics, after I removed the angle bracing from inside the car. Very Happy

Very happy with how it turned out.

Stay tuned
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Installing the engine cover for the first time since 2010. Now to get it adjusted, any tips?

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Well after about 2 hours and some shimming and lengthening of a couple of bolt slots, the engine Decklid is adjusted and sits pretty well. Installed the locking T handle and internal locking mechanism and it works perfectly. Then temporarily installed the tail light housing for the paint job. Thank you again Zwitterkafer for the housing. Here is the pics from today.

Next up front hood,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

You have done a lot of amazing work. Keep it up and get it back on the road!

Good luck with the front hood, always a fun task
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Metal work looks amazing! After all that hard work I think I'd pose for a pre-primer picture with it too!
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks guys, keep watching hood up next.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

I've never searched or read about hood repair, but a few years ago my neighbor had his 85 plus year old dad out for a visit. Never met him before, but he marches right on over and starts checking out all my bugs and buses. He started telling me how they repaired the little things we still have to repair today. Anyways, he says... oh yeah, hood prop kink. And points to my hood. This one is in good shape. ..wanna know how we fixed them in my day when they came in for repair? Hell yes I do! He said after they welded up the cracks in the metal and prepped it for paint, they bent up the largest size welding rod they had, and hid it in the area that sags. Welded it in a few places so it stayed put. Then painted right over it. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 rods, but they never had a sag problem again, and unless you looked hard, you'd never see it. I've never tried it myself....maybe others have?
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey folks, well next up was the hood. Thanks for the repair tip motofly196, but in actuality my hood isn't broken on the left side as many others are. Mine suffers from rust holes and dents. I think someone tap danced around this thing with golf shoes on! Anyway, won't bore you with dent and small hole repairs, but had to repair the very front lower edge of the hood.

Front edge of hood rusted areas.

Area of rust cut out of front hood.

A previous persons attempt to repair the front edge previously, braze a nut in to give something to attach to. Here is the removed piece.

Here is the rust area cleaned up.

Here is my steel repair piece fitting. ( Again from a paper template).

And here is the piece welded in. That's a lot more solid. More cleanup to go stand by for the final pics.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Ok folks, I promised final pics of the front hood repairs. Here follows the Front edge after repair, and the initial fitting of the hood on the body.

Next up the fenders.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello folks, first fender welding complete. Some finishing left to do, will do it with it bolted on the car. Next fender up.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
51reutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Just read the entire thread, congrats for an amazing job and dedication. Keep up the good work. Cool
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thank you 51reuter, trying to bring back to life. "Shultz" is a keeper.

Stay tuned for the paint next month.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 23

Jump to: