Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 54 european deluxe from start to finish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Good day all, more work inside and out on the 54. Rear of the car coming together, the original Hella back up light contains a red LED bulb connecting it up as a third brake light.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the interior coming together as well.

I also installed the passenger side running board as well.

Getting ready to pull new wires soon.
Stand by,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Wow really coming together fast now! Nice work. I have an extra cruiser pedal if you like them, I prefer the feel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

It's going together quick. Looks great. Hope you won't be afraid to drive it once it's finished.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Mike:

Quick item, the two small rubber plugs in your rear apron are installed backwards.

If you did that on purpose I apologize, but I wanted to make sure you knew that

See below for reference:

54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Volksartist, I want to try with the roller pedal will decide after how I like it. Thanks for the offer will let you know.

Joey, thanks man, the paint job is a 10 footer, looks good from 10 feet lol. I didn't want it too perfect or I might be afraid to drive it. But I intend to drive this one.

Txoval, oops, I guess I know what I am doing this am. Thanks for pointing that out.

More work to go today.
Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

I love the roller pedal compared to the late model "pedal", that's personal preference though.

Your paint job appears much better than a 10 footer! But don't worry about driving it, chips/scratches happen...they can always be fixed
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Txoval, can't wait to try out the roller pedal, I think it's going to be great. The paint is probably better than a 10 footer, but I have already scratched and touched up a few spots trying to put this together, and it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would, its all history on this car😎.

Looking forward to driving it as much as I can.

Fixed the rubber plugs btw, already.

Thanks,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

I like the roller pedal compared to the later pedal as well. so much I put a roller pedal on my '65 Beetle.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

First day I got mine home from paint, I was installing the dang bumper bracket seals/grommets and scratched the paint. Learned to use painters tape after that. The door seals/scrapers/vent wings were the biggest pain...lots of painters tape on those.

Do the passenger door first...learn the tricks on that one and then less mistakes on the drivers door (which you see everytime you drive). Learned that one from when I built my 67
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on the doors txoval, I have been told that it is the hardest parts to get together without causing damage. I have a whole roll of painters tape ready to go.

So more production today, steering wheel is now in:

Area under the fuel tank getting more finished:

And now getting ready for the serious stuff, wiring:

Spent a lot of time cleaning contacts and soldering connections, wish me luck.⚡️

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello all, well from the battery forward is wired. I have spent a lot of time ringing out wires and check grounds while I compare the instructions that came with the wiring harness, the 54 European wiring diagram, and my changes required for the 12 volt upgrade. No voltage has been applied yet, but I am hopeful I have done everything correctly.

All electrical components are now installed except for the dome light including these babies:

This weekend will be finishing the wiring and introducing power to the systems. Wish me luck. Rolling Eyes

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Coming together nicely! Where did you source that rubber/fabric steering coupler?
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello Zwitterkafer, thanks for the comment. I think I got it from CIP, the best one, but it was quite a few years ago, not sure if they carry the same one now.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Ok folks, wiring all done, with fingers crossed I turned the ignition key and the following video was the result.

Link

I had a few issues, had to change my brake switch on the master cylinder, it wasn't working. So the following video was after that.

Link

I however now have to bleed the brakes again after changing the switch. I also had to fix the left hand semaphore contact that turns on the turn signal light on the speedo, it works now as well.

Last item to get working is the original wiper motor. Currently just buzzes when I turn it on. But if I move it off the park position it returns to the park on its own. So didn't have engine running, just on battery, so will get this thing running and try again. Maybe just low voltage.

More testing tomorrow, and get this running again.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello again, well here is the first engine run and full electrical check on the 54 after body installation and new wiring harness install.

Link

More work to do but all in all a satisfying day! Very Happy Cool

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Coming along great. Another small detail, the parking brake boot should go on first and then the tunnel carpet. I'll try to get you a picture. It's minor and may not matter to you.

Praying the doors go just as good as the rest. They were the very last thing I did
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers txoval, I do appreciate the detail corrections. I have since fixed the brake boot.

I seem to be leaving the doors till last as well, everyone's got me all worried now, lol Rolling Eyes

Stay tuned for more.
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
wurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

It looks like you will enjoy very soon riding on the roads.
Thanks for making us dream with such a quality restoration.

Best regards from France Smile
Wurd
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello Wurd, thanks for the comments, looking forward to cruising in Schultz very soon.

So here is the latest updates of pieces added. See if you can see what has gone on:

So if you can see the windshield in, I want to ensure I point out that this windshield that my friend Dave, my wife Naomi and I installed very carefully, is THE original windshield that this car was built with!

A few scratches and marks on it but gives some history. Cool

And got the first of two of these temporarily installed, has to come back out for the headliner.

Stay tuned for more.
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Also started working on getting ready for seat covers etc.

Installed the original seat bottom still with original remaining cover on it to make sure everything fits.

I then placed the seat back in and realized that it isn't the correct one Embarassed Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad .

I guess I never checked when I bought the car and it's been wrapped up ever since just unwrapped it yesterday.

So if anyone has, or knows of a 54 rear seat back and mounts available please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 23

Jump to: