Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Westy Fuse Panel Wiring - Photos of?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: 85 Westy Fuse Panel Wiring - Photos of? Reply with quote

I'm having to re-wire a number of connections on my '85 Westy after a small electrical fire at the fuse box. I'm wondering if anyone can post photos of the rear wiring of the fuse box, just so that I can make sure that I've got the correct wires in the correct locations. I'm no automotive genius (seriously) and the German auto repair guy took one look at it and said no thanks (after 4 weeks of sitting in his shop). So any photo(s) would be much appreciated.
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

P.S. I have wiring schematics...but a picture is worth a thousand words and worth more to me than a wiring schematic.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a good photo of the back side of an 80-85 fuse block is all but impossible unless you have the dash out.

Your best bet might be to try to find an early van in a junkyard and cut the fuse block out of it, leaving a few inches of wire on all connections for color coding comparisons.

If your wiring got hot enough to do damage to the insulation, you will need to be careful to determine if it is still usable. Heat can make copper stranded wire very brittle and might lead to major electrical gremlins in the future. Be sure to closely examine all of the wires before reusing them.

Have you determined the root cause of your electrical short?

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Not yet Reply with quote

Haven't determined the root cause yet, though I do believe it was due to many miles of jittery dirt roads (long fishing trip) loosening or dislodging wires in the fuse block which led to a short. Or...second choice...was a poor install of the 2nd auxiliary battery. When I get it back together, maybe I'll know better. But a number of wires were fried, many it would appear due to contact with the problem rather than being a problem themselves.

I am going through and finding any scorch or melting marks on insulating, cutting out the offending section, and butt splicing as much as possible. So far most of what wasn't working is back...but not finished yet.

My last resort was to go to the local yards and try and find a similar year Vanagon and do as you suggested (which is a great idea), but they usually are in short supply. Thus, I was hoping for a pic here.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEARN TO SOLDER!!!!!

Water cooled vans from 83 84 and 85 are the same. If you can not find a dash loom locally find one via the classifieds here on Thesamba.

Those butt splices will bite you back in the you know where.

You MUST make superior connections or gremlins will breed.

Or find a new shop to fix it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the vehicle wiring is pretty similar but the dash loom for 85 is pretty different from 83/84. I would not try to use an earlier year dash loom unless you can read the diagrams and adjust for all the differences.

Mark

r39o wrote:
LEARN TO SOLDER!!!!!
Water cooled vans from 83 84 and 85 are the same. If you can not find a dash loom locally find one via the classifieds here on Thesamba.....
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to solder well takes time and can result in a very brittle joint if you don't get it just right. You would be much better off using a quality heat shrink covered butt connector with internal adhesive like these:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/31980/MOLEX-PERMA-SEAL-BUTT/

If you want to go the extra mile, you can also get the same heat shrink and adhesive plus a solder pellet that will melt when you shrink the jacket:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/31970/BUTT-CONNECTOR-CRIMPED-SEALED/

I tested these extensively before I started offering them in my relay kits. With a quality crimp at each end, followed by heating the outer shrink wrap, wires will break before pulling out of one of these most of the time and the installation process is quick and relatively painless since everything is done for you in one neat package.

My friend owns a tuna boat and we use these connectors to make long lasting connections for all of his electronics and lighting needs.

Use quality components and you will be fine. A shop doesn't care about your van as much as you do.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: