Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

idler arm bolt
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: idler arm bolt Reply with quote

Does anyone on here know where I can get an idler arm bolt for a 74 super? I am inthe process of fixing up a 74 super sunbug and had steering issues and look under to find the idler bolt broke off. I assume the bolt siezed in the bushing and finally snapped from the load. The rest of the steering parts look fairly new and feel really nice and tight.

I got the old bolt out but can't find any listings for one. I checked cip1, ww and even my local FLAPS. No one seems to have a listing. I even checked topline but didn't see it.

Is the factory replacement ok for stock use or is it just as well to replace with a brass bushing? Is the ride much more noticable? I was told with this you would feel more in the steering wheel.

Thanks
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use a generic grade 8 bolt? If so, does anyone know the correct size?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...you cannot use a generic bolt. This is a fitted shoulder bolt. Check VW. Oddly...a while back they could sdtill get it for about $40.
Take a hard look at everything. That bolt should never snap ever. It was either overtightend because the bushing was crushed and the arm bottiomed out on the bracket face...or there is something bent putting levergage on this bolt.
Always use the bronze idler bushing. Its fac better than the rubber one...which is actually a part from a 411 long before it was put into the super. It was defective in that car also and leads to wear in the control arm bushings and centerlink. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be better to just get a used unit. Click on this link for the ones listed in the classifieds right now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was parked since 79 so I am assuming the bolt siezed into the bushing and thus snapped. I can easily move the wheels from side to side with no binding or strain. The arm sits easily where it should. It may have been a faulty bolt also. I am however going to go over it all again to ensure no strain on any components once I get it repaired.

I have already looked into the classifieds and that may be the way I wind up going, but first I am going to a couple scrap yards to see if any have an old super I can rob it off of (will obviously replace the bushing first though.)

Thanks for the info, I was just hoping I could buy a new bolt or use a regular hex head bolt. Easier and quicker than waiting for the mail. Want to get his car mobile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justaguy wrote:
The car was parked since 79 so I am assuming the bolt siezed into the bushing and thus snapped. I can easily move the wheels from side to side with no binding or strain. The arm sits easily where it should. It may have been a faulty bolt also. I am however going to go over it all again to ensure no strain on any components once I get it repaired.

I have already looked into the classifieds and that may be the way I wind up going, but first I am going to a couple scrap yards to see if any have an old super I can rob it off of (will obviously replace the bushing first though.)

Thanks for the info, I was just hoping I could buy a new bolt or use a regular hex head bolt. Easier and quicker than waiting for the mail. Want to get his car mobile

A used one should be just fine. This bolt should never snap. Once you get it out you will understand. The shoulder of thiss bolt is another 1/3 to 1/2 X the diameter of the threaded portion. Its a machined shoulder bolt.
Its not a regular bolt at all. If you can measure all of its proportions....and its not a unique automotive sized bolt....you "might" be able to buy it from a metric bolt house like metric and multistandard. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: