Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heat exchangers?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calibay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: heat exchangers? Reply with quote

does anyone know where i can get some good quality heat exchanger from, i don't want the brazilian repo's as ive only heard bad things about them.

i've heard there is a company in Denmark that makes nice reproduction ones
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find the cleanest OE ones you can. i have the dansk on the westy and OE on the single cab. by far, the OE are hotter at the dash.

just my observation

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
find the cleanest OE ones you can. i have the dansk on the westy and OE on the single cab. by far, the OE are hotter at the dash.

just my observation

Skills,

Looking forward to seeing you again at Litchfield.

I do have a question about OE exchangers: I bought a set of 72-74 exchangers to put on my bus, and as I'm hunting down the last of the tin needed for the conversion, I wanted to ask: How do I reasonably prepare these to return to service. The shrouding has light surface rust, nothing penetrating. Assuming that I were to do all of the prep myself, what should I do to the metal to get it ready to go on and stay in good trim for the next 100k miles?

Marshall
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey marshall! i'll be there for sure! PM sent on the restoration method, as i am just tired of all the info i give out being poo pooed

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish someone would make some tin halves that could be welded over rusty stock ones. It wouldn't require Gershon quality, and any hack with a mig could fix their old ones.
72 Baja
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
I really wish someone would make some tin halves that could be welded over rusty stock ones. It wouldn't require Gershon quality, and any hack with a mig could fix their old ones.

That has been on a lot of people's want lists for a long time. There is also the clamshells for the F-pipes and U-pipes. Someone could keep themselves very busy refurbishing all the pipes and heat exchangers on 75-78 bays.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM vw76westy, I got two original VW units from him in good shape.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)

Last edited by tootype2crazy on Sat May 11, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the holes in 412, heat exchangers welded by a local weld shop for $40. They also fixed a rust through at the flange. You should check out a local custom fabrication shop, they may surprise you and be less expensive than you think.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
You should check out a local custom fabrication shop, they may surprise you and be less expensive than you think.

I've welded old ones before but when they are thin from rust it's difficult not to burn through. Patches are ugly and temporary.
72 Baja
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
hey marshall! i'll be there for sure! PM sent on the restoration method, as i am just tired of all the info i give out being poo pooed

skills, would you do me a solid and pm me the same? thx man.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
reluctantartist wrote:
You should check out a local custom fabrication shop, they may surprise you and be less expensive than you think.

I've welded old ones before but when they are thin from rust it's difficult not to burn through. Patches are ugly and temporary.

Agreed, once the pipes are rotten it takes a pile of weld to make them serviceable again and the life expectancy still isn't all that great.
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Dansk (JP Group I think) bought the rights to the VW heat exchanger (Type 1 at least) and are the sole manufacturer now. Original finned ones are the best by far.

As to repairing them, someone needs to get hold of Dansk and ask to buy just the clamshell halves - they should be available. We used to buy the components for the bug ones - but you had to buy 50 pairs I think. Maybe they could be persuaded to stamp them out of stainless for those in damp climates??
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GIZ210694
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed my original ones ,done some serious prep/cleaning on/around the worn thru casings , exhaust putty applied ,followed by an exhaust bandage ,then over that ,more putty ,then heat resistant paint ,so far ,so very warm !>>Disclaimer ; that repair may not work on all/every exchanger ! and of course I went over the entire system,checking and replacing as needed
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a more permanent solution, check out my restoration thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=474812&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: