Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Port vs. Dual Port
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Single or Dual
Single Port
56%
 56%  [ 54 ]
Dual Port
43%
 43%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 96

chased33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Does anyone have any performance data on whether dual port heads are better than single ports? I'm tired of seeing this:

Quote:
Oh yeah, you can feel the dual port difference in the seat of you pants! My DP is an 1835 and the SP was a 1500 though..

I ask this because I am building a 1915 and have a decent set of SP heads and I keep getting told that it would be a waste of machine work and that I should upgrade. Some people say SP have more torque and others say its a bunch of crap.

I am looking for some actual definitive numbers as that is typically what changes my mind. (I teach college statistics)

Thanks

1972 Super Beetle (1641 SP)
2009 Trek 7.1 FX (daily driver)
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ID7rwAbXU
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. I think you need more info to give an informed answer, though, like what carb(s), cam, distributor and exhaust you are using, and how you intend to trim the motor out. DPs are undoubtedly going to give more HP on the top end but I do agree that SPs probably make more torque in the low end, like 1000-2000RPM, in a stock configuration.
My 2180 screams in the mid range, but my buddy's stock '66 1300 has more torque than mine in the 1000ish range, my cam has too much overlap to pull down that low.

As a result of this, I will make the comments but refrain from clicking the "vote" button.

Womp: you need to compare apples with apples, I doubt Chased is building a turbo. When it comes to turbo/supercharged engines, port size is not nearly as important as a naturally aspirated car. Turning up the boost will put your VE anywhere you want it.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263

Last edited by Bruce Amacker on Wed May 26, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chased33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My purposes will be as a daily driver with mild components and will likely put dual Kads (have found some SP manifolds if I keep it a SP) and will be driving up some gnarly canyon roads.

But, I ask the question in a more general way as in whether anyone has ever built two identical engines except different heads and dyno'ed them.

Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is better depends on the intended use. If you are going racing and or want maximum horsepower, then DP is better. SP heads have their strengths as well, but which is better for you depends on what you expect from the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did an upgrade to a stock 1600 SP. Was running a 34PICT3 and SVDA. Guessing maybe 40HP at the wheels, but didnt dyno it. It ran fine for a stock 1600.

Installed mildly ported (intake port match) DP heads PLUS dual kads and a TriMill dual tip header. Just under 60HP at the wheels on a chassis dyno. The car is freakin quick and pulls strong up to 5K RPMS, but I lifted at that point.

Not sure if that helps or not - as with anything - you have to look at the engine as a system. If you did what I did on your 1914, I would guess another 15 or more HP at the wheels and it would still be very conservative.

And I have heard the SP having more torque as well, but have not seen any actual test data to verify it..
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was simply showing that a single port doesn't just have to be a stock engine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spyvsspy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me this topic is the aircooled vw worlds version of sohc vs dohc. One produces better low end power and the other's benefit come higher up the rev range.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never witnessed a 200 + hp HP NA single port......

Single ports produce more torque on stock stroke motors because the rod ratio. You really can't get much air velocity with the short stroke and lazy rod ratio.

A stroker motor with smaller rod ratio will make as much low end torque as you need. It all about air velocity, and the stroker can make it with a larger port.

Since you have stock stroke, it depends on if you want peak power or sub 2500 rpm torque.

BTW, a 1915 with a stock single ports is going to run out of steam pretty quick after the 2500 rpm.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW did. the 1600cc single port made 53 hp and the DP made 60HP. IIRC

chased33 wrote:
My purposes will be as a daily driver with mild components and will likely put dual Kads (have found some SP manifolds if I keep it a SP) and will be driving up some gnarly canyon roads.

But, I ask the question in a more general way as in whether anyone has ever built two identical engines except different heads and dyno'ed them.

chased33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
VW did. the 1600cc single port made 53 hp and the DP made 60HP.

So, thats not a huge difference, but is a stock engine. Are there any others out there on a larger displacement?

Quote:
BTW, a 1915 with a stock single ports is going to run out of steam pretty quick after the 2500 rpm.

Why is that? A 1600 single port has pretty steady power through the entire range, but a larger bore wont be like that?

Quote:

And I have heard the SP having more torque as well, but have not seen any actual test data to verify it..

Thats what I'm trying to find...

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

chased33 wrote:

I am looking for some actual definitive numbers as that is typically what changes my mind. (I teach college statistics)

Thanks

Back to the OP question- I do not have a chart, graph, or numbers, but would put money on a SP making more torque at the bottom and a DP making more HP at the top.

I like to think outside of the box and against many opinions on Samba. Look at my 2180 build- many guys said it "wouldn't run" with a single carb, and it runs great. Stock air cleaner, no crankcase breather, stock oil cooler, etc. (it does run warm at 80MPH, but I'm not sure a stock 1600 wouldn't either) Somewhere there's a Samba post about a 2180ish sized motor with a stock 34PICT carb on it. The owner said it pulled like a bear to 4000rpm before it ran out of air.

I'd bet money if you built a 1915 SP you'd be tickled pink at how well it ran, even with stock carburetion.

I challenge you to do it and prove it out. I did.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've learned is performance is not objective. One mans rocket is another mans sled.

A guy down the street had a rail with a 2007 in it, dual carbs, 4 into one. It made maybe 90 -100 hp. Honestly, it felt slow to me.

To someone who is used to driving a stock VW, it would have felt like a rocket.

So to be a 1915 single port would fell like crap. Just being honest because I'm used to driving a motor that pulled to 7K.

Ultimatly torque is about air flow, dual ports will make more torque and more HP on a bigger motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well most daily driver engines (besides speed freaks) dont go over 3500 or 4000, where smaller ports rule.

Yes, you can have more POTENTIAL power in a dp head, but do you benefit from it in a realistic range.

It is like cold air intakes, you have more potential power, but preheated intakes produce more efficient atomization, therefore more efficiently transferred energy, at the sacrifice of a high top end.

"It'd still be like my grandads old broom though, original, only 3 new heads and two new handles" -Marv [UK]
chased33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamestwo wrote:

So to be a 1915 single port would fell like crap. Just being honest because I'm used to driving a motor that pulled to 7K.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andk5591 wrote:
Installed mildly ported (intake port match) DP heads PLUS dual kads and a TriMill dual tip header. Just under 60HP at the wheels on a chassis dyno. The car is freakin quick and pulls strong up to 5K RPMS, but I lifted at that point.

These are the types of comments I am trying to steer away from - just showing a dyno chart or an engine with modifications does nothing to strengthen either position. Conventional wisdom dictates that dual ports produce more power than single ports. I'm sure DPs have their advantages, but it seems as though it is spread as gospel (all over the place).

In my profession I regularly prove conventional wisdom wrong, or at least not as right as most people think. In this scenario, I am not a builder and do not have any data so I am looking for someone to come out with something definitive. I would especially like to hear from builders who have done many engines.[/quote]

Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throw a small block Chevy in it and be done.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:

2bbl or 4?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Gary wrote:

2bbl or 4?
Yes.
martyhibb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2bbl...... Very Happy Love the singleports and the 2bbls.....
tuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamestwo wrote:
VW did. the 1600cc single port made 53 hp and the DP made 60HP. IIRC

I might be wrong, but didn't VW also change to a larger carb from SP (30PICT series) to DP (34PICT series)? This could account for the changes in power. -- Tuna
EMPI Imp Homepage

1970 EMPI Imp
1969 Bug - 2056cc Type 4 powered Cal-Look'r
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: