Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Port vs. Dual Port
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Single or Dual
Single Port
56%
 56%  [ 54 ]
Dual Port
43%
 43%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 96

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearing WILL make a difference in how an engines powerband is applied

66 earlier had 4.37
67-72 had 4.12
73 up had 3.88

different first and 4th gears will make the "pull" feel different. In the later trans the final gear was modified to match the earlier final drive and IS NOT 1000 rpm difference!!

As far as the difference between SP and DP here are my observations (sorry no dyno sheets) in the same car with 437 trans. both had pic 30 and factory manifolds, stock cams

SP
Crisper throttle response
Never had a crack from valve to spark plug hole
Better low to mid rpm "feel"

DP
Soggy low rpm, but better mid rpm "feel"
Often see cracks from seat to plug
Less MPG

I put Kadrons on both and they BOTH woke up!! I will say the SP did stop pulling about 4200rpm where the DP dropped off at 4500. They both reved higher but no feeling of additional power was felt.

For me the SP head with single barrel carbs is a great set up. The DP with single barrel carbs took a bit more to sync and required the balance tube to idle smoothly.

I feel the fact that DP has one runner per valve allows the use of split duration camshafts when running dual double barrel carbs for maximum efficiency.

When running SP heads using dual single barrel carbs will maximize the performance significantly. If going bigger displacement with SP heads I recommend porting to allow more air to flow more freely allowing a more usable powerband
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say build the SP, dyno it and report back.
chased33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, it is pretty difficult to find dyno sheets of this comparison. I guess I was more looking to professional builders who have built and dyno'ed many, many engines to see what the comparison is. (Which, I find it odd that none of the builders who are all over The Samba have made any comments)

I guess I was just looking for a sufficient argument for dropping the SP heads and going for DPs in a street driven vehicle. As of right now I am not convinced it is worth it to spend the extra $ on the DPs for a non-stroked engine. However, I no longer have the single port heads that I was going to use so I might end up with DPs. That is not to say that I am still keeping my eye out for some SPs, but don't want to spend more on them than duals.

If I do end up building the 1915 SP I will most definitely share the results (if I get it dyno'ed). My machine work will be done by Art at ACE, and I do know that he just built a 1915 DP with dual Kads that was dyno tuned so comparisons will be made...

1972 Super Beetle (1641 SP)
2009 Trek 7.1 FX (daily driver)
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art did the DP heads for my 1600 and also did the vac ports on the Kads. Absolutely top notch work. At the minimum get the port match on your heads.......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at art's place the blackline57 guys build the 1621cc 36hp engine with about 85-near 100hp at arround 5500rpm(depends on carb setup)...finished with a record on the salt.
gothspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost Alive wrote:
I've had the luxury of driving 100% completely the same 1600cc engines. One SP and one DP. The only difference is the 1600sp was in a 67' beetle and the DP was in a 74'. Different transmissions but close enough to make a fair comparison.
The DP seemed a bit sloppier. You put your foot down and slowly gained speed. The SP seemed tighter. You pressed the pedal and the car went. I drove them BOTH past 95mph and at that speed there was really no difference. From 0 - 80, the SP seemed to preform better. 80+ they were the same.
You can look at the old dyno's from stock engines and SP's DO pull more torque but barely enough to make a difference on the dyno. DP's DO pull more HP, probably 15% more than SP's. So it seems like DP's are a good idea on paper but when you drive them its a different story.
If you want the most HP and the most speed you can get, go DP. If you want torque and response, go SP. Under 4000RPM's you will feel a SP much more than a DP. I drive my cars so they rarely see 4000rpms.
SP heads are bullet proof, and cheap. When was the last time you saw a cracked SP head? I never have. I've got a pile of cracked DP's.
Ported SP heads $500 VS. Ported DP heads $800.
Its a no brainer for me.
I'm building either a 1835 or a 1915 SP this summer and I cant wait.

My girlfriend is also a veedub nut. She doesn't work on them, she just drives them. The only thing she said to me was "why does your 67' run better than my 74'?" "Its a single port babe" "oh, I want one of those"
Now shes got one and guess who's happy?
Well, they are both torn apart for new gaskets and seals right now so shes not THAT happy.

Great post!! HP is made with intake velocity! the only thing that happens to single ports is they run out of volume at higher RPMS. But they will out perform DP at quick demand and lower RPMs.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Old thread but I have a 1600 dp currently and have a sp heads and an intake in my garage ive got a baja bug so more torque would be nice. Ive also heard a sp works better with the webber progressive. SO would it be a good idea to swap to the sp heads for more low end?
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Single port heads are worse than double port heads everywhere in the range. But they are much worse at higher rpms, so they may feel torquier than DP's, which they are not.
Want torque? Or rather, a lot of bottom end power? - Use DP heads, big capacity, and a stockish cam.
Havent tried a progressive with SP heads.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Anyone that claims they can go over 77 MPH with a STOCK SP engine is lying. Straight up! Just take their advice right out of the mix. I can barely reach 83MPH in my 70 std bug with all stock 1600 except for the 87mm jugs.
Any engine will benefit from more air flow, whether it is through carburation, valve size, or cam lift.
I would guess that no one has bothered to put a larger than stock sp on a dyno. I think you are beating a dead horse.
Apples to apples? Get a set of both heads, try them out, sell the ones you don't use.
Easy peasy
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
Anyone that claims they can go over 77 MPH with a STOCK SP engine is lying. Straight up! Just take their advice right out of the mix.

VW states 81mph in the owners manual for bug

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

84mph for ghia

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

bikesndbugs wrote:
Old thread but I have a 1600 dp currently and have a sp heads and an intake in my garage ive got a baja bug so more torque would be nice. Ive also heard a sp works better with the webber progressive. SO would it be a good idea to swap to the sp heads for more low end?

Sure, I think you'll like it.
And yes, believe it or not, I would expect a progressive will run "ok" on a 1600 sp. It will deliver a stronger signal to the carb because the manifold volume is less. I know of two that tried it and proved it true.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:

I would guess that no one has bothered to put a larger than stock sp on a dyno. I think you are beating a dead horse.
Easy peasy

wompninja wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ID7rwAbXU

Built single port seems like it works
Ill put the single port heads on and try it out i just have to get the carb to work.
Would cutting a stock sp intake sides off and putting the center of the dp intake work
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Line bored AS case.
Good used stock crank.
215 mm Flywheel, stock weight
Stock 215 mm clutch. All balanced.
Silverline main Bearings
Mahle rod & cam bearings
CB Unitech rods. 550 gr.
26 mm Shadek oil pump w. full flow system. Stock late model oil cooling + a thermostatic controlled steel cooler from a 34 hp engine, located between the struts under the car.
CB Thin line oil sump. 1,3 qrt.
Engle W100 cam installed on 106 ILC.
CB lightweight lifters.
90,5 mm Mahle cylinderset.
Sgl port cylinderheads, ported, chambers altered to a compact wedge style. Stock valve size. Intake flow 120 CFM at 0,500” and 25”. 9-1 CR.
Manton push rods.
Bolted CB rocker shafts w. 1,25/1,1 rockers.
34 mm PDSIT dual carbs from an early 1700 bus engine. Modified. CB sgl port manifolds w. 20 mm extensions to get more plenum area and also get a better intake length. 60 mm home made intake stacks, bus type hex bar linkage, modifiead to fit in a type 1 set up. When we were done they flowed 115 CFM @ 25” hooked to the heads.
Bosch 205 SVDA distributor from a type 4 bus engine, rebuilt and altered curve to fit the type 1 engine.
Older Scat 30 hp fan housing with doghouse and venturi ring, and large fan.
Stock heater boxes. Bugpack 1 3/8” header with twin Citroen BX 16 mufflers, exiting at the center of the car, giving a slight 356ish exhaust look.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1194909.jpg

Recently built a 2007 cc. std plus sgl port for a split bus. Owner is currently sorting out some electrical issues. But when that is done it will hit the rolls. goal, 85 hp @ 4300 and 175 Nm torque.

If you build a larger than stock displacement engine, that can breathe better than stock too, with stock sgl port heads versus the same engine with dual port heads the latter WILL outperform the sgl port any day.
apart from that it is almost like comparing apples to oranges, because you are looking at two different engine behaviures.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

chased33 wrote:
Does anyone have any performance data on whether dual port heads are better than single ports? I'm tired of seeing this:

Quote:
Oh yeah, you can feel the dual port difference in the seat of you pants! My DP is an 1835 and the SP was a 1500 though..

I ask this because I am building a 1915 and have a decent set of SP heads and I keep getting told that it would be a waste of machine work and that I should upgrade. Some people say SP have more torque and others say its a bunch of crap.

I am looking for some actual definitive numbers as that is typically what changes my mind. (I teach college statistics)

Thanks

S.P. Better than D.P. in what sense are you asking the question?

For performance only, ie: street/strip? Dragstrip only? Offroad?

For a daily driver with maximum drivability, reliability, fuel economy?

Are you asking what would the torque curve difference look like between the two on identical engines ? (which I read you did ask although again it begs the question, what is the purpose of the original question?)

Asking the torque curve difference ie: which head has peak torque at a lower rpm generally applies to a street driven car and a daily driver.
After reading through the thread it is the same question I have yet it seems nobody has ever seen a dyno test on the torque curve between a single port & dual port on either the same test engine or identical.

I agree, comparing a 1500 single port to some 1835 dual port is a useless comparision. 1600 to 1600 and the same carb or stock single carb for both, that would be what I'd want to see.

I do have an article where a well know builder swapped heads & cylinders on a stock 1500 (he put 1600 cylinders on it with the head change) and of course gained HP due to the D.P. heads. He ran a solex 34 with the D.P. heads but it didnt show the torque curve, only the HP increase.

I'd like to know myself also as I'm considering which to run on a 1750 stroker for a daily driver. I'd lean towards whatever would likely make the better torque curve up to around 3500 revs and start at least above 1500 revs. This with a solex pict 30.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Two words, forget it. The 30 mm will be so restrictive that - shall we say - reasonable power below approx 3000 rpm is what you will get
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Two words, forget it. The 30 mm will be so restrictive that - shall we say - reasonable power below approx 3000 rpm is what you will get

30mm, meaning the pict 30 or something else?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Agree - with that displacement and that size carb, you will be starved at higher RPMs, but maybe you dont care....This is something that you can measure though...We did that on a dyno with dual 40mm on a 1955 to make sure I wasnt restricted and I wasnt.

There is more to this subject than I know. But I do know that smaller intake helps at lower RPMs and larger is better at higher. This is one of the reason dual planes are popular on street V8s and such. But do more research - this stuff isnt rocket science and has been sorted out decades ago.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Try this build a 1600 single port and use 1300 heads with smaller valves, yes you'll cut them to fit the larger jugs.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
Anyone that claims they can go over 77 MPH with a STOCK SP engine is lying. Straight up! Just take their advice right out of the mix. I can barely reach 83MPH in my 70 std bug with all stock 1600 except for the 87mm jugs.

Confused
What are you on about? Stock 1600SP with a stock cam, 205K distributor, 30PICT-3 carburetor, Oil bath air cleaner, and basic 4-1 header (modified for proper heat riser operation) can reach 85MPH when properly jetted, maintained, and tuned without issue. All stock parts in the bottom end, driving in a 69 beetle with stock tranny. Verified by GPS. Not getting into any discussion as to what people think shouldn't happen, all i can tell you is my personal experience, take it however you will...

For an easy, reliable, peppy little motor that wont break the bank, single port motors are fun and rewarding builds. They make great daily drivers, especially when you get into dual carbs, or do a little vintage speed inspired build. Often you can get the heads cheap in great shape, since everyone takes them off in the search of power.

My favorite configuration of stock-ish engine-

All original tin when you can get it, of course, but pulley and apron tin can often be swapped for aftermarket if you don't feel like welding up unused heat-riser holes in a dual carb application... feel free to mix and match parts as needed, but basic set of guidelines to build a reliable easy engine to live with...

"Single Port Stock Special"

Counterweighted crank preferably, stock is fine too
Stock flywheel, can use mildly lightened too
Cbperformance "Cheater cam" CB2280
Cbperformance lifters
OEM Doghouse shroud and cooler
Dual-relief engine case, AS41
Stock single port heads, quick clean-up and polish of ports, nothing fancy
8-1~ compression, seasoned to taste
Stock cylinder tin
Stock preheat tin ("stove pipe") and hose
Stock oil-bath, 71 style with working wax-pellet thermostat, can also use control cable style if you find the correct flaps with the arm for it, could use paper element filter if you wanted to
30PICT-3 Carburetor
205K vacuum only distributor (highly recommended, great MPG and throttle response) can also use 205T or 205M, set timing to whichever dizzy you use
Stock intake, risers cleared and functional (could also use empi end castings with a 34PICT3 center section, swap the distributor for an SVDA to match)
Stock heaterboxes
Basic 1 3/8" header, modified for proper heat riser operation
glass pack muffler, or hideaway
Moresa P/C set

Got a little more cash to spend? OK then-

Single Port "Ne Plus Ultra"

All of the above, plus the following changes-

CBperformance dual Solex kit or Weber ICT (solex have chokes which is a nice feature, but not absolutely necessary)
ratio rockers w/new pushrods (dont go crazy, maybe just put some 1.25's 1.4's on the intake side)
machine heads to fit 90.5 pistons, CC them to all match up, flycut if needed
90.5 piston and cylinder set (or machine-in 88's)
full flow the case, external oil filter
deep sump, at least 2.5QT
feeling squirrely? put a pair of early oil-bath air filters on it.

That's the way i see things. Especially in a car with the 61-67 gearing, single ports are great engines, and have huge amount of potential that people tend not to even think about. Sure, you could get a faster engine with a pair of dual port heads and IDF's, but that's not what we are all about! If we really cared about super modern, and fast, we wouldn't be driving these cars in stockish configs.

feel free to make suggestions to my little list! I've built maybe six single port engines, and always end up very pleased with them, i'm actually thinking of doing up a little single-port build guide soon, as i'm looking to build up one as a spare engine for the next time someone offers me a free bug with no engine...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Single Port vs. Dual Port Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Bob Brugge wrote:

Confused
What are you on about? Stock 1600SP with a stock cam, 205K distributor, 30PICT-3 carburetor, Oil bath air cleaner, and basic 4-1 header (modified for proper heat riser operation) can reach 85MPH when properly jetted, maintained, and tuned without issue. All stock parts in the bottom end, driving in a 69 beetle with stock tranny. Verified by GPS. Not getting into any discussion as to what people think shouldn't happen, all i can tell you is my personal experience, take it however you will...

replace 205k with 010 and 30pict3 for 30pict1 and you'll have me pulling 95+ in my 67 with stock geared trans and 165/80's on all 4 corners.

ya I beat the snot out of it, but it did go faster then 77mph Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: