Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Westfalia Weekender
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: 1974 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

With all the talk in the last thread about tin top westy-I finaly went out to look closer at the one I know of. I was floored again at how nice it was in many ways. It originaly caught my eye as one of the best preserved interiors Id seen at the yard-Look up "Texas Gold" in the photo archives. I didnt pay that much attention to it till I visited the yard with my girlfriend-looking for a suitable project last year. She loved the interior also but I did scoff it off as its not a "true" westy Rolling Eyes So now Im back for a better look to maybe buy it to save it and maybe pass it on? But I do admit the longer I look the more I like it.

So lets get some value-prices-pick it apart other than the obvious-pros-cons. Throw me some questions. I want to know what the vw world thinks before I buy it. I personaly love the carbs-but am unsure about the auto trans-only because I like manual on a VW not that Im phobic about auto.

The body-although has rust is all surface-otherwise very SOLID! The bumpers are straight, its all there(for the most part) That interior-other than being a storage shed for SP motors is real nice and clean-no material rot yet. Even the door rubbers still look good Shocked

I think if the motor works-it would need a good clean-fresh outside paint-brakes gone through-some new feet (tires) and it would be awsome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All the pics here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayum, that is pretty clean once you see past the outer layer of fungal growth. Count on windshield lip issues and maybe some drip rail rot, how's the rockers and floors?
Nothing wrong with an auto, many have withstood some epic journeys, also a bonus for resale as alot of todays hippie dreamers can't drive stick Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Colonel_Mustard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I want your door cards.
patayres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty solid '74 Weekender to me. Interior looks great... those 2 year only green door panels are in great shape. Is there a stove in the cabinet behind the passenger seat? Can't make out a propane tank. Probably going to need some rust repair around the windshield but you could get lucky. Not sure what the TX market is like, but I'd say $500-750 would be a pretty good deal for that bus.

yuthi'so'coro
Colonel_Mustard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are two year only? I have a set in my 77 but they are damaged. Also found another set in a parts bus locally (not sure of the year) but they are also damaged.
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patayres wrote:
Looks like a pretty solid '74 Weekender to me. Interior looks great... those 2 year only green door panels are in great shape.

My 77 westy also had the green door panels
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell it has no rot-nada. Only those spots where the paint was off-pitted surface. The corners are nice-the dog legs-both wells. The carpet on the floor looks mint! I hope the motors didnt f it up with oil. I didnt look in the other cabinet. The one by the slider is a fridge with storage on top-did it have something in it? Rockers are solid. The rubber arounf the rear hatch look perfect at first glance too. Most of the issues I see are pitting-surface rust. It will all need to be brought down-filled with build primer.

Im looking to settle on it maybe this week. Well see what he wants but it seems everthing he has is $2500. Crying or Very sad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aliennetwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
also a bonus for resale as alot of todays hippie dreamers can't drive stick Razz

Nice! hahaha

Desertbusman wrote:
So if you carry a spare starter it will be some other part you don't carry that will fail. Just tow a spare bus.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be a 74 P21. Icebox, no stove, propane tank or second battery. Check the VIN on the driver's door post. 73's had the old style Westfalia interior. Should be a westfalia serial # on the lower bed face too.

I had one of these. Bought it brand new and regret that I ever sold it. There were only 4 -74 P21's sold in greater Vancouver BC where I live. None were autos but they did come with the BN4 gas heater in the engine compartment. Most folks wanted the pop up roof for the extra sleeping capacity.

The only drawback to the interior is the lack of hauling space. Many folks took the icebox cabinet out to haul stuff. I actually found an icebox cabinet a couple of weeks ago. Had been sitting in a guy's garage for 20 years. He sold the van and never put the cabinet back in. The 76 and later layout is more practical but the lower bed is much smaller. My opinion at least.

I am in the process of creating the 74 P21 interior and putting it into a 79 bus that originally came from California. Won't be original but hopefully it will be as functional. Love to have that cupboard over the bed (called the headbanger) and the ceiling panels or at least the metal attaching pieces.

If you are at all interested, have a very good look under the bus for rust. Check the gutter/drip rail area and around the windshield. Everything else can be rebuilt, including the cabinets. These do look good, nonetheless.

If it was around here it would be in my yard by now!!

Nice find.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I want to know what the vw world thinks before I buy it.

As you asked the vw world Wink , I might say what I think :

Buy, clean, fix, and then keep it or sell, but it sure is worth saving. Once fixed, you'll probably want to keep... Cool
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
notchboy wrote:
I want to know what the vw world thinks before I buy it.

As you asked the vw world Wink , I might say what I think :

Buy, clean, fix, and then keep it or sell, but it sure is worth saving. Once fixed, you'll probably want to keep... Cool

Yes, Im afraid of this. Im walking into George's(Tram) 77 westy here soon. Ill be flying into Portland the 8th and driving it down to the Classic (hope to meet some of you) then hanging a left after the Classic and coming back home to San Antonio. That adventure will be a totally different thread Wink

But that pre disposse me to get this saved before it rots any more, clean it, fix it then Question

Was there suposed to be a cooker under the pass cab?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Now, I'd like to know what that is, exactly, sitting on the mounts over the engine. Would that have something to do with air conditioning? If so, I might be interested in that part if you pick up this bus (you should) and you don't want that piece.
I think my '73 Westy (outfitting with AC) needs that part.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Id seen others in past posts say it was a smog pump? Not AC related.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
pheall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I thought Id seen others in past posts say it was a smog pump? Not AC related.

it is a smog pump. i had one on mine but i took it off. there is no need for it.
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely pick it up!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: 1974 Auto Weekender Reply with quote

Well its been rescued. I spent the first day moving several items in the junk yard just to get to it. That absolutly drained me. But when it was her turn to move-the tires aired right up and none of the drums were locked. She wanted to leave after sitting for 21 years! The odometer has 50k on it and I belive it to be true based on the straight lines and nice interior. The bumpers on this bus are crazy straight. I havnt seen a dent as of yet eithor. If leaves hadnt got down the rt rear air intake the battery tray wouldnt have rotted out as well as leaves making the gutters pit bad as well. Those are the worst of it so far. The front floor-dog legs-wheel wells-rockers-and every where else is og German steel rock solid! More than I expected seeing the pics in the begining of this post.

The girlfriend and I spent a day cleaning her out. I cleaned the carpet and seats with my other "van". The sun faded alot of the color but it all still looks amazing for the age. Only the slider side cabint is peeling the laminite. I can fix that-but other than that the cabinets are sweet.

I threw a battery in her and most the stuff works. The water pump for the sink does and it actualy surprised me as the other two busses in my possetion dont Rolling Eyes The motor turns and the key in the ignition buzzer squeals.

Next it will be time for eithor the brakes or the motor. Change all the fluids and see if she drives Cool

And the walk around Cool

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that right there is one helluva score.
the bay gods smile upon you.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part it out! Cool Wink

thanks for all the detail pics.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Westfalia Weekender Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
. She loved the interior also but I did scoff it off as its not a "true" westy Rolling Eyes

Wink

It is a "true" westy. I guess you meant because it doesn't have a poptop?

Great find! A pressure washing/CLR job/buff would do wonders for that one. Get some color matched paint and fix and blend those rust spots and that thing will look fantastic. I wish it were mine. Cool
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You suck!

Nice score, keep the pics coming!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: