Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Portuguese Barndoors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the bus driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my Highroof was delivered from PT, a Portugese BD with a nice roof rack joined the trip and went to NL and sold by K&K ..
I don't think it's one here yet..

I will see if I can dig through my photo albums to get a better pic..

It sits in front of my bus.. I know not the best pic..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

65 Highroof (13w-wt-westy)
64 Highroof (13w)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bus driver wrote:
When my Highroof was delivered from PT, a Portugese BD with a nice roof rack joined the trip and went to NL and sold by K&K ..
I don't think it's one here yet..

I will see if I can dig through my photo albums to get a better pic..

It sits in front of my bus.. I know not the best pic..

A foto of this Portuguese DD + additional rear hatch Barndoor sold by Kieft&Klok can be seen in this thread, scroll down on page 2 of it (post of silkyimpala):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20

Nice highroof btw Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
nezz wrote:

don't have portuguese license plate of this. have any info on that?

Sorry for the delay, here is the portugese number plate for that bus

thanks Wink
busbarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from Portugal:lol:

Last edited by busbarn on Thu May 29, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
pineapple_express
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: "Portuguese" Barndoor Kombi Reply with quote

SplitBusFan wrote:
SiMedlicott wrote:
I was always under the impression, all Portuguese buses were imported as panel vans and then converted. Hence the upper vents. But looking through this thread there's a few without them??

Not all the buses sold in Portugal were converted from panel vans. This practice from the national dealer at the time started somewhere in late 52 or early 53.

My January 52 bus don't have the ventilation louvres.

So whats the real history on Portugal BD Kombis the windows with the upper vents?! It started out life as panels being sent to Portugal and then "national dealers" converted them to Kombis? Who is these "national dealers"? Volkswagen dealers??? Very curious on the history of them. would you BD owners consider them hacks???!

-Josh
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Portuguese" Barndoor Kombi Reply with quote

pineapple_express wrote:
SplitBusFan wrote:
SiMedlicott wrote:
I was always under the impression, all Portuguese buses were imported as panel vans and then converted. Hence the upper vents. But looking through this thread there's a few without them??

Not all the buses sold in Portugal were converted from panel vans. This practice from the national dealer at the time started somewhere in late 52 or early 53.

My January 52 bus don't have the ventilation louvres.

So whats the real history on Portugal BD Kombis the windows with the upper vents?! It started out life as panels being sent to Portugal and then "national dealers" converted them to Kombis? Who is these "national dealers"? Volkswagen dealers??? Very curious on the history of them. would you BD owners consider them hacks???!

-Josh

This has been discussed elsewhere, but I believe the story is that in order to get the lowest import tariffs, a certain percentage of the value of the bus had to be of local Portuguese production. So panel buses were imported, and Portuguese labor and parts were used to satisfy the tariff requirements by adding windows, interior seats, etc.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pineapple_express
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Portuguese" Barndoor Kombi Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
pineapple_express wrote:

-Josh

This has been discussed elsewhere, but I believe the story is that in order to get the lowest import tariffs, a certain percentage of the value of the bus had to be of local Portuguese production. So panel buses were imported, and Portuguese labor and parts were used to satisfy the tariff requirements by adding windows, interior seats, etc.

You think it was a VW dealership or a factory that added the windows? I've seen quite a bit of these Kombis with the upper vents

Would you BD guys consider them hacks?

Thanks j.pickens for the response. I'm really interested on how "Portuguese Kombis" came about
SplitBusFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pineaple_express: the history of vw buses sales - if we can call it this way - is a bit cloudy and unknown. I've digging out information about this on last years but is difficult to get reliable informations.

Quote:

this is true, specialy starting in january '63 where national laws at the time demanded the cars to be imported in ckd kits, it's the example of mine '65 kombi. of course there were exceptions like ambulances and other special vehicles. but before january '63 there other legal requirments, softer, but also with the focus on including local goods and handwork. cars made under these requirments were considered national or portuguese fabrication products and follwing that they had a bonus on taxes, also one important fact is that non national produtcion cars were limited to be sold on 75 units per year.

these transformations were made by the importer, wich had apropriated workshops to build the ckd kits from the smallest nut and bolt. ckd kits were composed from type 211 buses and then on assembly line in portugal windows were opened and finishment materials added like stated above.

between early '50 and late '62 is the misterious gap, as when sales started in april '50 there were not logistic resources to assembly cars and so vehicles entered in portugal as foreign products, completely finished and ready to turn key. this occured in the first years of course, but I belive with the sales sucess the importer decided (maybe obligated to fulfill costumers demand) to import incomplete vans, finish them localy and so bypass the anual limit of 75 vehicles/year and at the same time get tax discounts that would drive to cheaper final price to the public. I think the transition year is somewhere in late '52 and early '53.

this is my opinion, based on observation on many portuguese buses and the study of old 50's legislation.
1963 Type 21 (sold)
1965 Type 21 June
1965 Type 21 November, (sold)
1978 Type 23
1986 T25 Doka
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busbarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portuguese kombi from september 1953, not transformed by the importer.

SplitBusFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humm... no vent louvres in load area in september... weird but interesting
1963 Type 21 (sold)
1965 Type 21 June
1965 Type 21 November, (sold)
1978 Type 23
1986 T25 Doka
pineapple_express
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: My 54 Portuguese BD "Kombi" CKD bus Reply with quote

My 54 Portuguese BD "Kombi" CKD bus with rear open hatch option

-Da Barndoor Kid

riccardo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portuguese ambulance, I took this pictures about 20 years ago in Lisbon, I also clearly remember a 1953 panel with safaris used by a fisherman at the Porto port.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwssvl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Portuguese Barndoors Reply with quote

Going deeper into this topic... Here are the instructions for carrying out this type of panelvan conversions.
I also have 5 NOS windows and metal frames that were used in that years

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: