Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shower with a floor drain
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Shower with a floor drain Reply with quote

Alright. I admit, I have too much time to think about this stuff but my westy is currently my only retirement plan so...how about a floor drain? My van is currently being restored and I've looked at all the options for re-doing the floor and it occured to me...how cool would it be to steath shower? Cool! Right?
The question is, how? Without making things too heavy, thinset and tile would weigh a ton and custom fabbing a fiberglass pan would be such a project...but I seldom let fear or common sence make a coward out of me...
Whatayallthinkthen?
SAMBA!
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino Wink
You don't want a Westy ... you want a Dehler Profi Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217484

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405466&highlight=shower
Way before then: '64 Bus
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are asking for problems rust, moisture. Build a shelter off your rear hatch and call that your shower. I wouldn't do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Im doing it. Reply with quote

But I don’t have a Dehler, I can’t even pronounce that.

Now that my van is "done"...as if that will ever be true, I am revisiting this idea. I typed "custom shower pan" into the Google and numerous products pop up. Turns out that you can order almost any size, shape and drain location. I’m thinking that it would be great not just as a shower but for all kinds of things...wetsuit removal, wet boots, cleaning larger items...butchering a chicken...
Since I can’t actually do this project now (at work, remote location) I am looking to you, SAMBA brethren, to stoke me up/heckle me straight.
Abide
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: The link Reply with quote

http://www.showerbase.com/
This is the company I think I'll go with.
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are thinking you want something that is not permenant maybe you could do a 6" deep plastic tub Maybe 3' x 3' with a drain with a hose that you could shower than crack the slider and let it drain out. samba search (ultimate shower) there are some great ideas in that thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastwagens wrote:
if you are thinking you want something that is not permenant maybe you could do a 6" deep plastic tub Maybe 3' x 3' with a drain with a hose that you could shower than crack the slider and let it drain out. samba search (ultimate shower) there are some great ideas in that thread.

That would work...but then I'd have to set all that up and carry it around. I want something built in and ready to go all the time. Plus I like to make things overly complicated...

I saw the ultimate shower thread...maybe I should delete this thread...
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple.

Get one of those little kiddie pools that you inflate and use that as the shower base and hang a shower curtain from the top.

Even that sounds like a pain in the ass when there's a creek near by.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a post of a Spanish fellow with dual sliders and rotating cabinets with a shower inside. He used a wrap around curtain and some kind of plastic base. I think the thread was on custom west cabinets? I mean westy dam iPad

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
fastwagens wrote:

That would work...but then I'd have to set all that up and carry it around. I want something built in and ready to go all the time. Plus I like to make things overly complicated...

I saw the ultimate shower thread...maybe I should delete this thread...

RV shower pans:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-shower-pans.htm

Start cruising around the yacht websites, too
What is often done is to just water proof and enclose the head area with a shower curtain.
You don't need at-home style bathroom tiles and grout and such.. Good quality paint over marine ply would do fine for backsplash.

You can use a sump (and pump) instead of a drain thru floor..
Fabbing a custom f/g "pan" would not be that much of a project.. build the pan using 10mm marine play and encase in epoxy resi with one layer of 6ox glass... ta da!.. waterproof pan!

Can not remember if you have a Westy, but there's plenty of headroom to achieve something like that and the fold out idea used in the Dehler (also the name of a yahct building company, BTW) could be borrowed and developed upon.

Shower head would be a simple pull out.

Its not a bad idea towards a more self-contained outfit.

Maybe right behind the passenger seat?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: shower Reply with quote

Buy a Rialta

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
wolfsburg4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory vinyl floor is perfectly waterproof ( unless you have the extra seat tracks ) , so you just need to add a perimeter lip to keep water from going places it shouldn't. If you install a drain in one of the corners and set up your van to have a slight slope in that direction .....viola

If you like an overcomplicated water system , I got that Wink
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife wanted an inside shower too. We ended up with one of these:

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/

Then she had to buy me a new truck to haul it.

I'm happy with my VW the way it is, 'don't want to make it into something it isn't.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Im doing it. Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
But I don’t have a Dehler, I can’t even pronounce that.
Abide

Laughing

I can relate to wanting a shower. Some of the Mass. state parks we stay at have shower facilities that I bet would not be allowed in a prison. For the amount of trips I take, I'm going to rig up a rear shower curtain.

But long distance travel, I think a gray water tank and drain in the floor isn't too bad, but I think a molded shower pan would just take up too much space.

I don't have a great idea for you, but I thought a tarp bottom with a hole that would be inserted into the drain, shower curtain attached to this bottom tarp, so all drains into the hole in the floor.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ya really want a shower? How about a toilet too? Oh the luxury...these are from the Karmann Gipsy/Cheetah forums where I hang out lately, after buying one of these rigs. Someday the bath in mine will look so nice...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfsburg4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, i see cedar lining and steam !!!!!!! Wink

then step out into the living room area with a wood burning stove...
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDE!

Use a shower curtain and a kiddie pool that drains out the door! You can PEE in it; everyone pees in the kiddie pool!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
populuxe59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a winnebago LeSharo, there is an insert that covers it when not in use.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: I love the SAMBA Reply with quote

I love that I'm a thousand miles away from my project and I can still "work" on it. Lots of good info and ideas here. Many Thanks.
What I'm planning is cutting the westy floor (not the body) in as big an area as I can. I have a RMW box with a propex in it behind the passenger seat so probably the rectangular area aft of that. I'll use my Fein-tool to make it a clean cut. I'll order a shower pan that has as low a lip as possible to be just over the height of the westy floor around it. I'll get some marine deck pads or make something out of wood to bring the level (but still allow water to drain) up inside the shower pan to flush with the westy floor. I'll probably put some kind of padding on the westy floor that is left. What I'm aiming for is a seamless, factory look. Like something that Westfalia would have done.
Not to get up on my soapbox here but I don’t believe that the westy in the form it was sold should be considered a finished product, it was a product designed for mass market; they had to make a profit. Don’t get me wrong I am embarrassingly obsessed with how much I enjoyed my westy pre-customization. But there are plenty of areas for improvement, individualization. I did some custom (factory look) cabinet work in the rear that in my opinion (search my pics if you’re curious), for my needs, radically improves the livability and drivability of my van.
As another poster mentioned, his wife wanted a shower. My girlfriend would like the same, without having to find a decent campground or enough privacy to set up a shelter. I've stealth camped a lot, keeping clean sometimes with wet wipes, for weeks...I’m ready for some lux van living now.
I'll post pics of my project. When I start it, after I finish the dozen or so I'm already working on.
SAMBA!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I'm eager to see what you come up with. So if I understand correctly, you'll essentially be mounting the pan like an over-mount or drop-in sink. Then some slats in the pant keep the floorig level, yes? How would you provide support under the pan, or would you need to?

Met a guy once who had done something similar. He wanted "basement" storage and removed the floor in the area next to the slider. He had a custom stainless tub with a drain built and dropped it in to create a cooler/live well/additional storage area. He put a hinged door over the top and through a rug over the top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: